• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

D10 Balanced popping and other issues

cheapmessiah

Just got a D10b for BF, cable arrived yesterday and i've been testing the dac but 2 things are driving me nuts, first the popping thats audible through the headphones every time audio signal is engaged or disengaged on windows 10, my previous much cheaper DAC (fx audio dac x6) did not have this issue, is there anyone else experiencing this same problem or is this specific to the unit I just got?

And the second issue is that I was under the impression, and I might be wrong on my assumption, that going from the 2v of my previous SE DAC to the 4v of this unit would amount to higher volume level output on the amp at the same volume knob position, and as fas as i can tell there is no difference between both DACs. I dont know if it has to do with the fact that im using the SE output of the amp to compare the DACs output, balanced cable for the headphones is on its way and maybe theres a noticeable after im able to use the balanced out of the amp.

The D10b has better performance than the x6 that i could tell was softcliping in some high frequency heavy parts of some songs, but the popping thing is something i find very annoying and I might even send it back just because of it.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did you ever get this sorted out? My D10 balanced never had any popping when starting/stopping music. It sounds like a driver or data connection issue.

OP
cheapmessiah

cheapmessiah

Did you ever get this sorted out? My D10 balanced never had any popping when starting/stopping music. It sounds like a driver or data connection issue.
No, noone answered, should I contact Topping? It indeed sounds as if USB protocol stops signal coming from PC whenever no communication is needed with the D10b, but I can't tell if thats hardware related, driver related or if it's the interaction with this particular DAC that causes problems.

raindance

Major Contributor
Also where the volume is pointed is utterly meaningless and doesn't tie in a linear fashion to output voltage.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, noone answered, should I contact Topping? It indeed sounds as if USB protocol stops signal coming from PC whenever no communication is needed with the D10b, but I can't tell if thats hardware related, driver related or if it's the interaction with this particular DAC that causes problems.
If you try out the driver below and still get popping, maybe try to replace the usb cable and avoid using a USB hub. Maybe even try another computer to see if it's some issue with the OS or the motherboard. From what I recall, this device does some sort of USB power wizardry to get up to the 4V balanced output without external power. It's also worth mentioning that odd things may happen according to topping and @JohnYang1997 if you're using it single ended rather than balanced. If all of that doesn't work, then it's probably a defective unit.

OP
cheapmessiah

cheapmessiah

If you try out the driver below and still get popping, maybe try to replace the usb cable and avoid using a USB hub. Maybe even try another computer to see if it's some issue with the OS or the motherboard. From what I recall, this device does some sort of USB power wizardry to get up to the 4V balanced output without external power. It's also worth mentioning that odd things may happen according to topping and @JohnYang1997 if you're using it single ended rather than balanced. If all of that doesn't work, then it's probably a defective unit.

I will try that, thanks.

It doesnt really seem like a defective unit, just some power management issue, but i might be wrong.

KSTR

Major Contributor
The D10B has some small systematic output DC offset voltage (see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ced-review-usb-dac.25094/page-41#post-1066770 and https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ced-review-usb-dac.25094/page-41#post-1066944), though most of it is common-mode and will be removed by the balanced input it is connected to. This offset changes (is removed) when the output is muted... which happens when the device detects there is no USB activity.
This can lead to a slight clicking sound when audio starts or stops. When operated unbalanced (not recommended for the D10B) the click can be quite noticable.

Of course it could just as well be driver/system issue unrelated to the hardware.

The analog section operates from +-5.6V rails that are generated by a local switching regulator from USB power, btw.

OP
cheapmessiah

cheapmessiah

The D10B has some small systematic output DC offset voltage (see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ced-review-usb-dac.25094/page-41#post-1066770 and https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ced-review-usb-dac.25094/page-41#post-1066944), though most of it is common-mode and will be removed by the balanced input it is connected to. This offset changes (is removed) when the output is muted... which happens when the device detects there is no USB activity.
This can lead to a slight clicking sound when audio starts or stops. When operated unbalanced (not recommended for the D10B) the click can be quite noticable.

Of course it could just as well be driver/system issue unrelated to the hardware.

The analog section operates from +-5.6V rails that are generated by a local switching regulator from USB power, btw.
Im using the dac fully balanced, to the best of my knowledge, since im using a Zen Can amp that might or might not be grounded on the balanced connection (I ground it using the comon ground of the cold lead in the 3.5mm jack), unfortunately i have no other amp to test it.

KSTR

Major Contributor
With the correct cable from 2x TRS to Pentaconn you should be safe and no extra ground should be required.
If the balanced input is AC-coupled (might be with the Zen Can, according to internal pictures) there still is a way for a pop to develop which comes from value mismatch of the AC coupling capacitors.

OP
cheapmessiah

cheapmessiah

With the correct cable from 2x TRS to Pentaconn you should be safe and no extra ground should be required.
If the balanced input is AC-coupled (might be with the Zen Can, according to internal pictures) there still is a way for a pop to develop which comes from value mismatch of the AC coupling capacitors.
That's a strong possibility too.

I updated the drivers to v5.30 but nothing changed, it was worth trying tho.

OP
cheapmessiah

cheapmessiah

I got a thx 887, plugged the D10B and the popping is gone, whatever was happening was indeed from an interaction between the DAC and the zen can.

Top Bottom