• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

marcidif

Hello everyone!

Iam thinking about a nice DAC/amp combination to pair with my incoming 58xx and I am struggling between these two options (considering money):

Topping dx3 pro (First version!) - used for 6 months - 150€
Topping D10 + JDS Labs Atom - new - 230€ (80 + 150)

I really like the quality/price ratio of the dx3, It had enthusiastic reviews (mostly), but I am concerned about the reliability issues. In fact it is the first version, that one which performed very well in the tests made on this site, but the same that had a lot of fails. However, after 6 months of usage this particular unit is still performing perfectly, so it shouldn't have any issues (maybe), since it appears that defective unites stopped working immediately or soon.

Also the D10 is from Topping, but it seems to not have such problems, and looks like a very nice DAC for the price, even if I have read from some that the dx3 DAC is better (for sure it supports more formats, but what about the sound?).

Moving to the Atom, it is considered by the majority the best entry level amp you could ever get, and it is what could make me spend these 80 euro more. I feel it is more reliable than the dx3 (made in USA from a great company, from which I would have some guarantees), and it is a better amp (yes?), wich could power without problems more demanding cans in case of a future upgrade.

I like the idea to have both features in a small, easy to carry, and compact unit, and I like that price. However, I have the feeling that separate units are more flexible and open to an upgrade. I could upgrade my headphones with an Atom and at the same time buy a better DAC. In case (if it will not die before!) I could also use the dx3 as a DAC or an amp only (yes?), but would it be at the same level of the single units? I have considered also other options like the Schiit stack (but It would cost me 270€ and I think it is not better than the other stack), the new Aune X1S wich is on Drop (but it would cost me also more than the stack and I should wait until Christmas), the Topping stack D30 + A30 (220€ would arrive in one month but I am not so enthusiastic about the Amp).

So, considering everything, do you think that it is worthy to spend 80€ more for that combo? Or should I look back at one of the other options mentioned? Other suggestions are of course we'll welcomed! Thank you so much!

D

Deleted member 3718

I used my first version 1 DX3 Pro daily and it failed after 9 months. It had the same kind of failure that others have reported. I was sitting there listening to music and I heard a loud pop. No sound thereafter and the unit was stuck in standby mode. Just thought you should be aware because I was also under the impression that mine would last much longer considering it hadn't failed after a few days/weeks. I did email Topping about this and they kindly sent me a replacement completely free of charge although this replacement will be version 2.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I’m using a DX3 (right now) as my main system dac. It seems fine. I like the remote!
I had a D10 some time ago, it’s also good. No remote :eek:
I think both these options are good, if the saving is important to you, I’d go DX3.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Given the DX3 problems, and no ASR review of V2 as of yet, why go with it unless you absolutely must have only one box?

My D10 is working great with a Liquid Spark and HE400i. Plenty of power and headroom. IMO, the LS is underrated because of the 30HZ spike. In practice, it is a great match for the D10.

Remember D10 can have its own problems with 'clicking disconnects', but with clean power to it, and decent $11 RCA cables, that problem is solved.

OP
M

marcidif

Given the DX3 problems, and no ASR review of V2 as of yet, why go with it unless you absolutely must have only one box?

My D10 is working great with a Liquid Spark and HE400i. Plenty of power and headroom. IMO, the LS is underrated because of the 30HZ spike. In practice, it is a great match for the D10.

Remember D10 can have its own problems with 'clicking disconnects', but with clean power to it, and decent $11 RCA cables, that problem is solved.

Yeah I was considering the LS too, great unit. What about the 'clicking disconnects'? I have heard about some small issues about this topping too (damn!), can you tell me something more about it and how to fix it?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Yeah I was considering the LS too, great unit. What about the 'clicking disconnects'? I have heard about some small issues about this topping too (damn!), can you tell me something more about it and how to fix it?
The 'clicking disconnects' with my D10 would occur seemingly randomly - the unit would stop playing a 16/44.1 track, reset showing 3 dashes and/or '384'. I replaced the unshielded RCA output cables going to the LS -:that helped, but did not eliminate the problem. It only went away completely when I replaced the 1.0a 5v Amazon mini-usb power brick (connected to the three-wire OTG cable used to connect the D10 to Fire 7) with:
USB Wall Charger, FONKEN 3-Pack 5V/1A USB Power Adapter UL Certified Charging Block Portable USB Plug Compatible for iPhone Xs X 8 7 6, iPad, iPod, Samsung Galaxy S9 S8 S7, LG, HTC, Sony, BlackBerry https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFB2PX5/

With this new OTG supply, the disconnects are completely gone.

Last edited:

rubley00

I just had a DX3 pro (not sure which version, I didn't open it) die in less than 24 hours. I love my D30, but the DX3 can't be trusted.

ozz

I used my first version 1 DX3 Pro daily and it failed after 9 months. It had the same kind of failure that others have reported. I was sitting there listening to music and I heard a loud pop. No sound thereafter and the unit was stuck in standby mode. Just thought you should be aware because I was also under the impression that mine would last much longer considering it hadn't failed after a few days/weeks. I did email Topping about this and they kindly sent me a replacement completely free of charge although this replacement will be version 2.
Hey, could you tell me where did you buy the DX3 pro from? Does Topping have an official store?

D

Deleted member 3718

Hey, could you tell me where did you buy the DX3 pro from? Does Topping have an official store?
I actually bought mine from a user on the Head-Fi forums.

Warbles

Any reason at all why the Sabaj DA3 DAC does not appear here in these erm... dream pairings? I have this very unit and, unless my auditorium is playing dastardly tricks on me, must report that the Atom amp by itself seems to sound better than when going through the aforesaid DAC! Would love to have some clues as to why that might be....

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
About better DAC... $9 gives you a good DAC so anything approaching 80 dB of SINAD is not the issue.

I'll suggest an ASR Special (Atom + Khadas Tone Board) plus some case for the Khadas, I have that combo and it drives all my headphones including an HifiMan HE6 ... so...

Last edited:

thomasjast

As a previous DX3 v1 user, now using using D50s + Atom, the Atom set is much more powerful with hungry headphones. I wouldn’t switch back.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any reason at all why the Sabaj DA3 DAC does not appear here in these erm... dream pairings? I have this very unit and, unless my auditorium is playing dastardly tricks on me, must report that the Atom amp by itself seems to sound better than when going through the aforesaid DAC! Would love to have some clues as to why that might be....

What source are you using when the Atom is 'by itself'?

Top Bottom