• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cybershaft Platinum Review (External Clock & PS)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 167 87.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Cybershaft, the name alone says it all:

CYBER cy·ber, adjective
Relating to or characteristic of the culture of computers, information technology, and virtual reality. "The cyber age."

SHAFT /SHaft/, verb
Treat (someone) harshly or unfairly. "I suppose she'll get a lawyer and I'll get shafted."

Because the device's effect is only virtual, it stands to reason that the end user is being virtually shafted at point of sale.

KaMiKaZeCATS

7kX7g9Pv_MgTHEWqhChUbDJ6aDuZElw7CLhHIu93HXg.jpg

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
no illusions of Hi-Fi — especially once it gets sucked through YouTube’s compression.
That's also true with the stupid, ridiculous audio "reviews" where some idiot plays his audio system and uses a microphone(s) of unknown quality to upload his supposedly superior sound to YouTube where it is compressed and stored. Then, when played via internet streaming via your computer and its audio system, you are supposed to be able to hear the superior HiFi quality of his system or loudspeakers on your desktop system or whatever computer speakers you are using.

Beyond ignorant!

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
Looking inside the oscillator would be great. I bet it's a standard OCXO module you can pick up for $50 on digikey.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is funny, but some systems get really stressed out when there is extra money lying around.

Amir, any plans to test audio system therapists?
Maybe there could be a unit that plays affirmations as part of the system's start up.

Something like "I'm low distortion enough, I've got dynamic range enough, and gosh darnit, people like my soundstage."

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Really, when was the last time jitter was a problem on a decent CD player or DAC? A solution in search of a problem that does not exist.

aj625

And people claiming in "GS review of Bartok" thread in DCS community that bartok brightness goes away by using multi k$ external clock of DCS. :p

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
In order to determine the maximum acceptable size of
jitter on music signals, detection thresholds for artificial
random jitter were measured in a 2 alternative forced
choice procedure. Audio professionals and semi-professio-
nals participated in the experiments. They were allowed to
use their own listening environments and their favorite
sound materials. The results indicate that the threshold for
random jitter on program materials is several hundreds ns
for well-trained listeners under their preferable listening
conditions. The threshold values seem to be sufficiently
larger than the jitter actually observed in various consumer
products.

So even in 2005 these devices were not needed.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Tks

Major Contributor
I know I'm missing something blatant, but how does this clock work to sync multiple devices with just one output?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I know I'm missing something blatant, but how does this clock work to sync multiple devices with just one output?
Usually a distribution amp is used to achieve that.

ayane

Forum Donor
Wow this clock is a steaming pile of garbage, especially for that money!

Seeing these fully grown adults (who should know better) talk about audio stuff like they're some kind of supernatural enhancements used to be funny when I was starting this hobby, but now it's just sad to me. If they really mean what they say, then they're in too deep in a cult. If they know what they're doing, then they're just misleading impressionable people to waste money on nonsense that lines the pockets of those people selling this snake oil, but I have to wonder why their demographic is so tiny. At least it's not like the fitness industry where products are harmful and the targets are teenagers and young adults...

I seriously cannot understand why, in this day and age where we have cold hard evidence in the form of measurement data, that people can be convinced and led astray.

The best way I can wrap my head around this audiophile behavior is as if audiophiles have disordered cognition, maybe like anxiety disorder or restlessness, and they semi-consciously feel like maybe buying this product will make me feel better! Just makes it sound more predatory... I guess there's a lot of money among ignorant audiophiles.

Madlop26

Obligatory question: But did you listen to it @amirm?

... yes, I'll be posting this on every review without a listening test now ;) Sue me :cool:
i hope you don't expect Amir to do a blind listening test in every device he test. Blind tests are too time consuming, AB test are not that reliable and also time consuming, and subjective tests is as we know meh...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Snake oil I suppose. Reminds me of Harvey Gizmo Rosenberg and his uber expensive capacitor coupled tube amps. Thank you @amirm

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

The few pieces of Motu gear I own that have an input for a word clock also have an output. I haven't any that are dead ends.

brandonhall

Forum Donor
This is just sad. No other word. We're talking about $1500.

Top Bottom