• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cybershaft Platinum Review (External Clock & PS)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 168 87.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 8.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You know which ones had audible jitter? Probably the Sumo. Maybe, maybe, but likely not the Bitwise Zero. The rest of them are levels of jitter of no concern. Yes, one can find bad examples (which why I said 98% a non-problem).

It does seem to be an overblown problem...

DonR

Major Contributor
A scam will always be a scam, no matter what quality part they used.
I disagree. It might be useless as far as improving sound but the company makes no claims about sound. A scam would be to claim it does something that it doesn't do. In this case, the PSU appears, at a passing glance, to do what it says and the 10MHz reference appears to be solid if rather overpriced. It does solve a problem that doesn't exist though.

EDIT: On second glance at the website, they do make claims about sound that are very unlikely to ever be fulfilled. Like any rational human... I have changed my opinion. Scam it is.

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
This part certain looks scammy:

shafted.jpg

As our host has demonstrated, it does nothing wrt these claims.

PeteL

Major Contributor
It does seem to be an overblown problem...

I personally try to never comment on audibility, since people may hear different and demonstrations of these seams all over the place. I don't really know what is audible really, but in term of measured performance, these levels of distortions, if intrinsync to a product, would be considered here headless.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The devices are for studio use when multiple devices must have locked clocks.
This statement, although true, doesn't tell the whole tale.

It makes the assumption that any suite or device in the facility is working at the same sample rate! While all gadgets within a suite must be locked together (and, ideally, all the suites within a facility, likewise), unless you are only, ever, working at the one sampling rate, the distribution of “word clock” at, say, 48kHz can be a pain.

A far more common practice is to distribute TV "black level", something that has been done since video editing was invented. Most digital audio kit found in professional suites is able to use this signal as its reference and, internally, derive the required sampling clock; a simple ‘old school’ way of keeping all your suites, and the kit within them, in perfect sync.

zepplock

Someones gotta show the public clear evidence of snake-oil products.
The great majority of audio sites would praise useless crap like this.
yeah, I was kind of joking. I'd rather see measurements of products I might actually buy, vs chasing each and every snake oil. It gets old fast.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We live in a nation where people now believe drinking your urine will prevent Covid infection, that a vaccine will cause your body to become magnetic, and where the Flat Earth Societ is growing its ranks. Believing that a device will reduce jitter for your DAC may be far less stupid, but still is incorrect.

xema

Maybe this is not the clock's fault but D3's fault.
L7 tested singxer Su2 (which has a 10M clock input) with a -110db @1hz clock (gustard C18)
The close-end of 12k test is obviously better with 10M clock:

SU2Clock-1536x811.jpg

red: Su2 internal crystal (as318b, same to the D3)
green: Su2+C18 warmed
blue: Su2+C18 cold

PLEASE pay attention to the X-axis: the su2's jitter is sinking into the noise before 50hz offset (or 10hz with clock) to the 12khz, but D3's close-end jitter is way more than the su2, it takes about 400hz offset to sink the jitters into the noise.

The cybershaft op16 's phase nosie is -116db @1hz , and some other people measured it with a microsemi phase noise analyzer and the spec is proved.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe this is not the clock's fault but D3's fault.
L7 tested singxer Su2 (which has a 10M clock input) with a -110db @1hz clock (gustard C18)
The close-end of 12k test is obviously better with 10M clock:

SU2Clock-1536x811.jpg

red: Su2 internal crystal (as318b, same to the D3)
green: Su2+C18 warmed
blue: Su2+C18 cold

The cybershaft op16 's phase nosie is -116db @1hz , and some other people measured it with a microsemi phase noise analyzer and the spec is proved.
However, there is a good chance sending it out over coax cable will introduce more jitter than is in the clock. It will still be low, but the jitter in the DAC is likely not as low as the clock feeding it.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Read this article and measurments and if you tell me that these levels of measured distortions induced by Jitter don't matter and are not in audible territory, then we should probably ignore this whole site because nothing that Amir measures on modern equipment matters then. Equipment would get trashed in reviews for much less.
Actually, this point comes up a lot: what's the point of extreme measurements if we can't hear in the extreme? There is no audible separation between DACs measuring green and blue, and some may argue even orange. I believe the benefit of ASR is for those who want to pay more for performance (measured as SINAD) even if inaudible - they see all the marketing hyperbole, and ASR simply puts it to the test.

ousi

Actually, this point comes up a lot: what's the point of extreme measurements if we can't hear in the extreme? There is no audible separation between DACs measuring green and blue, and some may argue even orange. I believe the benefit of ASR is for those who want to pay more for performance (measured as SINAD) even if inaudible - they see all the marketing hyperbole, and ASR simply puts it to the test.
That exactly is the reason why I keep coming back to ASR. I had my fair share in the hi-end field and was wondering why I found some pieces seem to sound worse than a cheaper one (PS Audio for example, vs Topping/SMSL), while naively thought spending more should get better performance, or at least some benefit but same performance. Turned out in a lot of cases, it's simply snake oil - fancy case that does not perform better than one used by a cheaper product, reimplementation of certain ideas that was used in the past (R2R DAC), improvement that is not improvement (external clock, not for synchronizing between equipment), cables that people claimed that sound different, etc.

It's like I pay a certain amount for a performance car that claimed to do a top speed of 200mph, or a specific 0-60 time. While I won't likely be able to use that ever especially top speed, I still would like to know if I actually paid for the performance or not.

ASR is a great place to at least put those to test, while being as objective and consistent as possible, without all those marketing buzz and subjective reviewers with flourish wording reviews.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m using less eq now, and probably a little less compression as well
I am all for this; even if he has to take Valium to achieve less eq/comp. I never liked processed meats either.
how does this clock work to sync multiple devices with just one output
If the rear facia clock adjustment('adjuster') is accessible, then it may have ample variability to adjust its own clock to other clocks in the chain. possibly...

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That exactly is the reason why I keep coming back to ASR. I had my fair share in the hi-end field and was wondering why I found some pieces seem to sound worse than a cheaper one (PS Audio for example, vs Topping/SMSL), while naively thought spending more should get better performance, or at least some benefit but same performance. Turned out in a lot of cases, it's simply snake oil - fancy case that does not perform better than one used by a cheaper product, reimplementation of certain ideas that was used in the past (R2R DAC), improvement that is not improvement (external clock, not for synchronizing between equipment), cables that people claimed that sound different, etc.

It's like I pay a certain amount for a performance car that claimed to do a top speed of 200mph, or a specific 0-60 time. While I won't likely be able to use that ever especially top speed, I still would like to know if I actually paid for the performance or not.

ASR is a great place to at least put those to test, while being as objective and consistent as possible, without all those marketing buzz and subjective reviewers with flourish wording reviews.
Exactly, you know that they actually charged you for intelligent engineering, so you are willing to pay the premium for that effort even if you understand it's inaudible. I am always willing to pay more for intelligent UI/UX because it affects my joy of the product every time I use it.

xema

However, there is a good chance sending it out over coax cable will introduce more jitter than is in the clock. It will still be low, but the jitter in the DAC is likely not as low as the clock feeding it.
this so called TMMT result is achieved by a NOS R2R dac, not by directly sending AES signal to apx555
read this if you want to know some details:
(try translate it with deepL if you cant read Chinese :D)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
this so called TMMT result is achieved by a NOS R2R dac, not by directly sending AES signal to apx555
read this if you want to know some details:
(try translate it with deepL if you cant read Chinese :D)
I don't read Chinese,.......so

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't read Chinese,.......so
There is nothing to read really. He is just observing that jitter creates symmetrical sidebands and hence can be found using FFT as I show in my tests. This eliminates the need for extremely high performance clock measurement instruments to measure the clock variations directly. And has the benefit that we just measure the analog output of the DAC instead of sampling its clock.

Top Bottom