• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cybershaft Platinum Review (External Clock & PS)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 168 87.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 8.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As @amirm said, your ears are not a reliable measurement instrument,
I was not going to revive this thread, but I've meant to ask this silly question ever since and here is my opportunity:
What - then - differentiates a "golden ear" from a "brass ear"... besides training?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I was not going to revive this thread, but I've meant to ask this silly question ever since and here is my opportunity:
What - then - differentiates a "golden ear" from a "brass ear"... besides training?
Gold is an element, brass is an alloy. :)

Nicolai

How do you know you're not just imagining these differences in your head?
As I wrote: the difference is day and night. Has nothing at all to do with imagination. If I compare the sync of my DAC with the reclock sync of my Mutec MC-3 it‘s not so easy to separate the difference in soundstage but having the Mutec switched to external syncing the LHY Clock, it‘s a very different picture. I have never ever expected such a big gain in everything on the way to experiencing the live act. Please take in account that the Neumann KH420 I am using in my chain are so ultimately honest that they display everything.

Nicolai

As I wrote: the difference is day and night. Has nothing at all to do with imagination. If I compare the sync of my DAC with the reclock sync of my Mutec MC-3 it‘s not so easy to separate the difference in soundstage but having the Mutec switched to external syncing the LHY Clock, it‘s a very different picture. I have never ever expected such a big gain in everything on the way to experiencing the live act. Please take in account that the Neumann KH420 I am using in my chain are so ultimately honest that they display everything.
Sorry, I meant the LHY clock syncing the Mutec!

DonR

Major Contributor
If it is obvious then the difference should be measurable. Do not discount the power of bias until you have eliminated it from the evaluation.

Nicolai

Sorry, I meant the LHY clock syncing the Mutec!

If it is obvious then the difference should be measurable. Do not discount the power of bias until you have eliminated it from the evaluation.
I have not yet measured it and I do not have the technical knowledge behind it, but my brother who is a theoretical physicist with a summa cum laude Dr. degree explained to me that the more precise the clocking is the wider the frequency band. I can only tell you that if I switch here inbetween the 3 modes I have: SPL Mercury Sync, Mutec as Sync Source and LHY syncing the Mutec, the soundstage is by far the best when the LHY is syncing the Mutec.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not yet measured it and I do not have the technical knowledge behind it, but my brother who is a theoretical physicist with a summa cum laude Dr. degree explained to me that the more precise the clocking is the wider the frequency band.
:facepalm: The man should go back to school!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not yet measured it and I do not have the technical knowledge behind it, but my brother who is a theoretical physicist with a summa cum laude Dr. degree explained to me that the more precise the clocking is the wider the frequency band. I can only tell you that if I switch here inbetween the 3 modes I have: SPL Mercury Sync, Mutec as Sync Source and LHY syncing the Mutec, the soundstage is by far the best when the LHY is syncing the Mutec.
Uh huh!

Nicolai

I have had a sound technician here from Neumann to measure and adjust the Neumann KH420 to my Hörplatz (listening place?) in my living room. I think most of you guys do not here differences because your rooms make the music.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He's a "theoretical" physicist, he didn't go to school to learn the laws of physics.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had a sound technician here from Neumann to measure and adjust the Neumann KH420 to my Hörplatz (listening place?) in my living room. I think most of you guys do not here differences because your rooms make the music.
We think there is no difference for you to hear. Until you show this to yourself you are not listening to any of us obviously.

Oh, and what your brother told you, something is being lost in translation or he is wrong. Simple as that.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
As I wrote: the difference is day and night.

Yeah...

Except there is no plausible explanation for this.

but my brother who is a theoretical physicist with a summa cum laude Dr. degree explained to me that the more precise the clocking is the wider the frequency band.

Maybe one of you didn't understand something in there.

Does he live nearby?

Maybe the two of you could do a controlled listening test.

Nicolai

:facepalm: The man should go back to school!

Yeah...

Except there is no plausible explanation for this.

Maybe one of you didn't understand something in there.

Does he live nearby?

Maybe the two of you could do a controlled listening test.
The accuracy of my external clock compared to the clocking of the SPL Mercury and the Mutec MC-3. is obviously and clear to hear superior. END

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The accuracy of my external clock compared to the clocking of the SPL Mercury and the Mutec MC-3. is obviously and clear to hear superior. END

Uh huh.

If you haven't got more than 'because I say so,' I guess we can indeed call an end to this.

If you end up developing evidence, as opposed to anecdotal claims, please let me know and I'll reopen the thread to you.

DonR

Major Contributor
An argument from authority doesn't mitigate the need for evidence. If you cannot attempt a controlled experiment or provide relevant measurements your opinion is just based on anecdotal evidence which unfortunately is not the basis of scientific inquiry. I am certain your brother would agree

Top Bottom