• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CXN or Creeky Ruby 2? Streamer/Preamp/DAC for Roon & TV Optical - Please Comment & Suggest

catalogguy

Forum Donor
I would like to hear thoughts or opinions on replacing the Monitor Audio A100 that I have been using as a streamer/preamp/DAC to act as a Roon endpoint and take the TV optical audio signal.
  • The reason for change is the device is not working (I may get it going again, but this is the third one and I would like to move on).
  • The options that stand out are the current Cambridge Audio CXN and the Creek Audio Ruby 2 DAC module.
  • I welcome any commentary on these 2 options, thoughts on a Roon endpoint, or an alternative path.
Here are the priorities that I have been trying to sort out.
(1) Easy to live with - this really means that the girl should be able to click "Watch TV" on the Harmony remote without jumping through extra hoops. Easy to switch audio between TV and Roon.
(2) I need a Roon endpoint and the ability to connect the optical from the TV.
(3) Good DAC. I really enjoy the lively and enthusiastic MA A100. Something less exciting will be a let down. For example, I built a hifiberry DAC+ Pro on a Raspberyy Pi4 just for fun (Rpi4 / Ropieee XL), and while it works, I much prefer the sound from the Monitor Audio A100. Most of my library is CDs ripped from my collection, but now that I have Roon and (the cheap variant of) Tidal, basically all of my listening is through the Roon app (I do not expect to have interest in MQA). I might like to change things one day as I have some hi-res files that get downgraded over AirPlay, so perhaps playing them at their potential would be fun, but not a big current priority.
(4) DAC with Balanced output. Will connect to Creek Evolution 100A. There is a Creek Ruby 2 DAC option that fits inside the integrated amp, so that could work instead.
(5) Standby. I could not stand the thought of that little warm (100F) Raspberry Pi 4 sitting there drawing power 24/7. For this reason, I am uncertain about using an RPi Roon endpoint.
(6) Show rate/display. Something that looks cool. This is a low priority, but a color display of the album or a neat readout of the file specs is a nice to have. Or else a handsome (or invisible) box.

Topping D90
I like the Topping D90 DAC. It is well reviewed and looks nice. I am not sure how easy it would be to switch between optical and Roon (ideally it can be added as a device on the Harmony and then I can adjust the Activity settings). But then I would need a Roon endpoint. And I am not sold on that warm little Pi. Is there a version that puts the Pi into standby mode?

Creek Ruby 2 DAC Internal Module
Alternatively, there is the Creek Audio internal module (Ruby 2). It is about $500 and can still be found, although getting scarce as Creek is going to come out with new products. There is not much in the way of reviews, and nothing that really seems persuasive either way. It would be nice for the convenience of no extra box to connect or deal with powering on and off, and I can control the input on the amp via the Harmony. It would still need a Roon endpoint.

Cambridge Audio CXN 2
Now is officially Roon compatible. Seems like an all-in-one device the way I was using the Monitor Audio A100. Perhaps it supports higher res since Roon used AirPlay to connect to the MA A100.

So is the Cambridge the way to go? At $1,100 it is more than the Ruby 2 with an RPi (+/- $700), but it seems to check all the boxes. How can I make a good decision on whether to buy or pass on the Creek module? And if I were to get the Creek module or the Topping D90, what would I use for a Roon endpoint? Is there a way to build an RPi that goes into standby? Is there another option?

Last edited:

JRiggs

I have been using the Cambridge CXN v2 for a couple of weeks now and it’s a keeper. Before, I was streaming Yamaha MusicCast over the CX-A5200, and the Cambridge and Roon combo has been a huge improvement in SQ. Roon ready devices utilize Roon’s RAAT (https://kb.roonlabs.com/RAAT), which streams a bit perfect signal (AirPlay does not, does not support high res.).

I am not running other devices through it so can’t comment on that. My Roon Core is a 2018 Mac mini, and the CXN is connected to the Yamaha CX-A5200, then out to a Parasound amp powering KEF LS50.

JRiggs

Thoughts would be purely subjective. RCA analogue out to the Yammy is great. The RCA cables are Blue Jean and are 4ft long cables. Dead silent and sounds very nice. I have yet to compare to digital output. I do have a digital coax cable I can swap out and try. I’ll give it a go this weekend and report back.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to hear thoughts or opinions on replacing the Monitor Audio A100 that I have been using as a streamer/preamp/DAC to act as a Roon endpoint and take the TV optical audio signal.
  • The reason for change is the device is not working (I may get it going again, but this is the third one and I would like to move on).
  • The options that stand out are the current Cambridge Audio CXN and the Creek Audio Ruby 2 DAC module.
  • I welcome any commentary on these 2 options, thoughts on a Roon endpoint, or an alternative path.
Here are the priorities that I have been trying to sort out.
(1) Easy to live with - this really means that the girl should be able to click "Watch TV" on the Harmony remote without jumping through extra hoops. Easy to switch audio between TV and Roon.
(2) I need a Roon endpoint and the ability to connect the optical from the TV.
(3) Good DAC. I really enjoy the lively and enthusiastic MA A100. Something less exciting will be a let down. For example, I built a hifiberry DAC+ Pro on a Raspberyy Pi4 just for fun (Rpi4 / Ropieee XL), and while it works, I much prefer the sound from the Monitor Audio A100. Most of my library is CDs ripped from my collection, but now that I have Roon and (the cheap variant of) Tidal, basically all of my listening is through the Roon app (I do not expect to have interest in MQA). I might like to change things one day as I have some hi-res files that get downgraded over AirPlay, so perhaps playing them at their potential would be fun, but not a big current priority.
(4) DAC with Balanced output. Will connect to Creek Evolution 100A. There is a Creek Ruby 2 DAC option that fits inside the integrated amp, so that could work instead.
(5) Standby. I could not stand the thought of that little warm (100F) Raspberry Pi 4 sitting there drawing power 24/7. For this reason, I am uncertain about using an RPi Roon endpoint.
(6) Show rate/display. Something that looks cool. This is a low priority, but a color display of the album or a neat readout of the file specs is a nice to have. Or else a handsome (or invisible) box.

Topping D90
I like the Topping D90 DAC. It is well reviewed and looks nice. I am not sure how easy it would be to switch between optical and Roon (ideally it can be added as a device on the Harmony and then I can adjust the Activity settings). But then I would need a Roon endpoint. And I am not sold on that warm little Pi. Is there a version that puts the Pi into standby mode?

Creek Ruby 2 DAC Internal Module
Alternatively, there is the Creek Audio internal module (Ruby 2). It is about $500 and can still be found, although getting scarce as Creek is going to come out with new products. There is not much in the way of reviews, and nothing that really seems persuasive either way. It would be nice for the convenience of no extra box to connect or deal with powering on and off, and I can control the input on the amp via the Harmony. It would still need a Roon endpoint.

Cambridge Audio CXN 2
Now is officially Roon compatible. Seems like an all-in-one device the way I was using the Monitor Audio A100. Perhaps it supports higher res since Roon used AirPlay to connect to the MA A100.

So is the Cambridge the way to go? At $1,100 it is more than the Ruby 2 with an RPi (+/- $700), but it seems to check all the boxes. How can I make a good decision on whether to buy or pass on the Creek module? And if I were to get the Creek module or the Topping D90, what would I use for a Roon endpoint? Is there a way to build an RPi that goes into standby? Is there another option?
I have the cxn v2 working flawlessly with roon. Plays hi res files over network on Roon up to 192 maybe more and lower rate dsd.

Screen not the best if I am honest. Can't read that well from sofa 7 or 8 feet away. Just works well. Sounds good, not seen the dac measured but I'd be amazed if it wasn't transparent.

Dexter_prog

how would the CXN v2 compared to a SMSL m500? I'm considering the CXN, but it's DAC seems inferior, at least in specs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
how would the CXN v2 compared to a SMSL m500? I'm considering the CXN, but it's DAC seems inferior, at least in specs.

All I can tell you is that I have the CXN and the M500- I run the M500 off the CXN digital output. Damned if I can tell the difference when - in no way scientific I know . BUT- the 2 devices have totally different purposes. If you want a streamer (a Roon ready one at that) then the CXN is great- but dont buy it as a USB DAC- its wasting its biggest talent. The M500 will more than suffice as a USB DAC.

Dexter_prog

All I can tell you is that I have the CXN and the M500- I run the M500 off the CXN digital output. Damned if I can tell the difference when - in no way scientific I know . BUT- the 2 devices have totally different purposes. If you want a streamer (a Roon ready one at that) then the CXN is great- but dont buy it as a USB DAC- its wasting its biggest talent. The M500 will more than suffice as a USB DAC.
What a lucky coincidence you having both. Frankly. I want both in one, both a good/decent streamer and a good DAC. Right now I have my pc next to my DAC, but who knows in the future if I move? I was actually considering replacing the smsl with the CXN, but yes, the CXN would be plugged to my pc and that would be one of the main ways to use it.

I'm not sure I quite got what you mean, can you or can you not tell the diference?

Concerning, Roon ,I don't care. It's an insanely expensive software that I will never buy. I can't believe they charge 700 usd a year for a player, come one!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What a lucky coincidence you having both. Frankly. I want both in one, both a good/decent streamer and a good DAC. Right now I have my pc next to my DAC, but who knows in the future if I move? I was actually considering replacing the smsl with the CXN, but yes, the CXN would be plugged to my pc and that would be one of the main ways to use it.

I'm not sure I quite got what you mean, can you or can you not tell the diference?

Concerning, Roon ,I don't care. It's an insanely expensive software that I will never buy. I can't believe they charge 700 usd a year for a player, come one!

I cant tell the difference . There is absolutely no problem with the DAC in the CXN V2 to my ears - or on paper in fact. But I would love to see it measured here. But there is a world of well measuring balanced USB DACs out there - I dont get what you want the CXN for - its not a like for like device with the M500 in terms of functionality. Although you can use it to stream Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify etc without using the PC I suppose.

EDIT- $700 is lifetime for Roon- $120 for year. YMMV as to its value .

Top Bottom