• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

life.exeMPLAR

Hi, I wanted to know you opinion on cutting frequencies below 20 Hz,

I saw a lot of speakers that have small woofer that doesn't extend well past 50-60Hz, but that's not the case with headphones, with many reviews recommending equalization of bass to Harman target and even with linear bass extension. (example: Hifman Sundara oratory1990).

Why don't we see recommendation to cut off all frequencies below 20 Hz (or even higher) on headphones though?
I heard advantages such as:
-tighter bass (kick)
-less ear fatigue
-bass in inaudible frequencies may cause IMD

*bonus: Vinyl had reduced bass content and people seem to like the sound of it

Streaky talking about music production

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I have corrected my headphones with AutoEq and I edited the default Harman target to remove frequencies below 20hz, or maybe even 30hz. I think in most cases it's not worth it, or rather it depends on the headphone and your volume requirements.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do the low cut with some of my HP, the open dynamic drivers especially. Plahars I tend to leave whatever shelf I apply all the way down. A cut with a Q of 0.7 or less doesn't bump up the level before the corner either.

But then I rarely apply a low shelf of more than 2 or 3db so the impact of the cut will be negligible.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing is with headphones is that the drivers very very rarely come close to maximum linear excursion (or show any visible excursion for that matter) so IMD is not a concern.

Top Bottom