• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

cutting amazon basics rca coaxial

trotos

Hi all,
I got recently 2 RCA coaxial amazon basic cables, and I was wondering if it is wort it to cut them down in half and connect adapter to... shorten them and use them in other interconnections.
Is there a reliable link that describes the procedure?
Does it wort it money (new RCA connectors etc) and time wise?
Is it easy and are special tools really a necessity?

Many thanks in advance and sorry if it has been answered before or this is not the right place.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
How long are the cables you want to shorten, and how long do you want the new ones to be?

It is probably not worth the money, since the tools and connectors cost (though not all that much), and it is up to you to determine the value of your time. If you are wanting to learn for the future, it may be worth the time and expense. If this is just a one-time thing, you'd be better off using the cables as-is or buying cables the desired length.

Manufacturers buy cable and connectors in large volumes and have automated, or at least semiautomated, assembly procedures so can generally make them faster and cheaper than individuals.

3125b

Major Contributor
I'd agree, even if you knew what you were doing it would probably be cheaper and certainly easier to buy shorter cables than to shorten the ones you have.
Plus you get to keep the long ones, you never know when you might need RCA cables, and of course they last indefinitely in the infamous cable drawer.

OP
T

trotos

Many thanks for the answer.
The cables are 1 meter each and yould like to cut them in 1/4, 25 cm each.
I am good with soldering (I own also a soldering iron), but could you please provide a link with acceptable connectors and tutorials to see if it is possible and if it is worth it?
Sorry for the late reply and thank you in advance.

Katji

Major Contributor
Obviously you can find streams of recommended/preferred RCA connectors. Then you can do some analysis/ most commonly suggested or whatever.
So mine would be Amphenol RCA connectors. Old company, good reputation including pro audio [where there is much less bullshit.]

> Is it easy and are special tools really a necessity?

Such as? ? The only thing that could be called a special tool is a suitable crimping tool, for connectors that are connected that way instead of with solder.

Top Bottom