• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cute new schiit speaker amps

Hatto

No. But they are related. Can't say anything about SPL without knowing the exact speaker measurements.

Why is it, you think, that bass drivers are larger? Is it because it does more work or less work? Why does it need to do more work? -Because of the perceived loudness curve and because of masterings have taken this in account in the studio.
*Weighting
At first you were referencing sensitivity variance across the spectrum, then you started referencing equal loudness curves (probably when you realize sensitivity variance won't be enough to substantiate your claim), which has nothing to do with the relationship between power (W) & SPL (dB).
Finally I understand the conceptual confusion that is causing your error in understanding.

D

Deleted member 48726

At first you were referencing sensitivity variance across the spectrum, then you started referencing equal loudness curves (probably when you realize sensitivity variance won't be enough to substantiate your claim), which has nothing to do with the relationship between power (W) & SPL (dB).
Finally I understand the conceptual confusion that is causing your error in understanding.
LOL whatever dude. It's not me who claims 10 W is enough for hifi so as is I don't care if you don't actually read what I've linked to...

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll keep my Purifi's...

Hatto

LOL whatever dude. It's not me who claims 10 W is enough for hifi so as is I don't care if you don't actually read what I've linked to...
"Even in a heavily damped room, like this one, an 8W per channel amp will take the volume level in the room way higher than it is safe for your ears."
- Harley Lovegrove, Technical Director of Pearl Acoustics loudspeakers (when demonstrating how loud a pair of 87db/W/m sensitivity speakers go under 2W load)

Well, it's NOT just me, but even if it were, "in questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual" as Galileo Galilei put in words. That is especially true when basic calculations in combination with real world experience (e.g.
) in the face of unsubstantiated FUD.

You can "LOL whatever" all you want, but most people are here in pursuit of scientific evidence and they deserve to learn the technically accurate nature of things.

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Even in a heavily damped room, like this one, an 8W per channel amp will take the volume level in the room way higher than it is safe for your ears."
- Harley Lovegrove, Technical Director of Pearl Acoustics loudspeakers (when demonstrating how loud a pair of 87db/W/m sensitivity speakers go under 2W load)

Well, it's NOT just me, but even if it were, "in questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual" as Galileo Galilei put in words. That is especially true when basic calculations in combination with real world experience (e.g.
) in the face of unsubstantiated FUD.

You can "LOL whatever" all you want, but most people are here in pursuit of scientific evidence and they deserve to learn the technically accurate nature of things.
Or for a different perspective.

AaronJ

I don’t even think the quantity of watts is a big deal with the Gjallahorn. It’s the quality. Rising distortion starting at 100mW is poor. I have significant doubts about the current-delivering capabilities of it.

Hapo

...it's not the volts that kill you, it's the amps...

...watt good is power w/o amperage, eh...even I can figger that...

so-easy-a-caveman-can-do-it-geico-caveman-meme-generator-myid-OIP.FX4sJkG9TpBU7fo4MlQryQHaFj.jpg

Hatto

Or for a different perspective.

It doesn't mean much in reference to our discussion without knowing the SPL value as a result of that power value, but I'll take a guess: They're probably listening around 105 db SPL which makes sense (and calculations check out for 85 dB/W/m at 3m distance), so no surprises there. If you want to make your ears bleed with inefficient speakers, of course you'll need power, the same math applies. It is just a completely different use scenario, wildly different than how most people listen to music on a regular basis.

Difference of perspective is only regards to choice of inefficient speakers and extremely loud sound level, not on the mathematical relation between W and SPL.

Last edited:

Hapo

...10 watts is a lot if it has current behind it but not if the cute little power supply is Schiit...

th

Last edited:

Hatto

...10 watts is a lot if it has current behind it but not if the cute little power supply is Schitt...

th
Power is actually nothing BUT current for a given impedance (P = I^2 * R). Any amp will provide full current to reach its rated power until it goes into overcurrent protection mode.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't mean much in reference to our discussion without knowing the SPL value as a result of that power value, but I'll take a guess: They're probably listening around 105 db SPL which makes sense (and calculations check out for 85 dB/W/m at 3m distance), so no surprises there. If you want to make your ears bleed with inefficient speakers, of course you'll need power, the same math applies. It is just a completely different use scenario, wildly different than how most people listen to music on a regular basis.

Difference of perspective is only regards to choice of inefficient speakers and extremely loud sound level, not on the mathematical relation between W and SPL.
At 30 Hz, 100 dBSPL is only 60 phon (equal in loudness to 60 dBSPL @ 1 kHz). Not that loud.
equal_loudness_contour.jpg

Hapo

Power is actually nothing BUT current for a given impedance (P = I^2 * R). Any amp will provide full current to reach its rated power until it goes into overcurrent protection mode.
hqdefault.jpg

...uh...I figgered how to spell Schiit...

Last edited:

Hatto

At 30 Hz, 100 dBSPL is only 60 phon (equal in loudness to 60 dBSPL @ 1 kHz). Not that loud.
View attachment 269784
The speakers used in the demo don't even go down to 30Hz.

I don't even know how you even guessed the exact value of SPL for a specific low end frequency, but I can bet on my life that the 1kHz frequency is NOT at 60 dB SPL in that room.

D

Deleted member 48726

The speakers used in the demo don't even go down to 30Hz.

I don't even know how you even guessed the exact value of SPL for a specific low end frequency, but I can bet on my life that the 1kHz frequency is NOT at 60 dB SPL in that room.
That's not his point now is it? You're an expert in avoiding those. Cadoux.

Reactions: NTK
D

Deleted member 48726

So I've been thinking about getting a new power amp, currently I'm using a Yamaha P2500S (250W @ 8ohms, 310W @ 4ohms). My speakers:
View attachment 267947View attachment 267948
I cross these over to stereo subwoofers at 200Hz, powered by a Yamaha P3500S. The Yamaha amps have plenty of power, run cool and reliable, and I really have nothing to complain about with respect to sound. However they produce more noise then I would prefer with my main speakers and I know their objective performance isn't stellar.

IF I need 20dB of headroom, then a high SINAD amplifier option could be the Soncoz SGP1:
View attachment 267945
1660958359-DSC03016-1024x683.jpg

BUT IF I really don't need that much headroom, then the Jellyhorn could be a good option too... for much less money...
View attachment 267953
gjallarhorn-main.jpg

Either way I would have concerns about reliability from brand new designs, the 5 year warranty from a US company is a major plus for the little Schiit. Concerns about reliability are what hold me back from buying a decent Class-D amp currently, although I am still considering a NC252MP build. I also like the Outlaw 2220 with its all through-hole circuit board build, but It wouldn't be a big step up in measured performance from my Yamaha.

Is there really a difference in sound between lower power amps and higher power ones within their limits? How much power do I really need for my speakers?
Hi there. I think your amps measure quite well. Take a look at the link in this post-->

What kind of noise do you get?

I got the Rekkr through the door today and just put it up on my desk. Call me a Schiit fanboy or whatever, but the form factor is amazing and the stack looks super clean on a desk and integrates with the headphone amp into a super sleek system. The 80s mini stacks, come on, not even in the same universe as this.

In terms of the value for money arguments, maybe I'm just a pretentious ass, or out of touch, but especially on this forum, people have systems worth more than most cars. 150 $ is chump change for something that you genuinely like... I wanted a power amp for my desk, just a power amp no extra crap on it, and this hits the bill spot on.

In terms of the loudness argument and wattage, it's 11:30 pm now, I'm listening at a level that feels nice and the volume knob is barely cracked, it will go plenty loud enough on a desk with some bookshelfs. No one would ever seriously think of plugging this into their main system and expect anything remotely listenalebe, obviously that would be idiotic... But of course I will plug this into the B&W 803s during the day tomorrow and run the thing into protection just for shits and giggles.

Anyway, I don't get where all the hate is coming from. Yeah, the topping sure, but that doesn't look half as sleek as this and other than that, there's nothing else like this on the market.

Cheers,
Seb

20230306_225047.jpg

OP
Vini darko

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I got the Rekkr through the door today and just put it up on my desk. Call me a Schiit fanboy or whatever, but the form factor is amazing and the stack looks super clean on a desk and integrates with the headphone amp into a super sleek system. The 80s mini stacks, come on, not even in the same universe as this.

In terms of the value for money arguments, maybe I'm just a pretentious ass, or out of touch, but especially on this forum, people have systems worth more than most cars. 150 $ is chump change for something that you genuinely like... I wanted a power amp for my desk, just a power amp no extra crap on it, and this hits the bill spot on.

In terms of the loudness argument and wattage, it's 11:30 pm now, I'm listening at a level that feels nice and the volume knob is barely cracked, it will go plenty loud enough on a desk with some bookshelfs. No one would ever seriously think of plugging this into their main system and expect anything remotely listenalebe, obviously that would be idiotic... But of course I will plug this into the B&W 803s during the day tomorrow and run the thing into protection just for shits and giggles.

Anyway, I don't get where all the hate is coming from. Yeah, the topping sure, but that doesn't look half as sleek as this and other than that, there's nothing else like this on the market.

Cheers,
Seb

View attachment 269940
Hi could you show a pic of transformer to get an idea of size? Yep that's a good looking stack and I like the bird balls.

TimW

Major Contributor
Hi there. I think your amps measure quite well. Take a look at the link in this post-->

What kind of noise do you get?
Thanks, I've looked at those French measurements before. Distortion is quite low but noise performance isn't great. If you look at the 100mW THD+N the Yamaha is at about -66dB while the Jellyhorn is at -92dB. The measurement conditions were very different though I'm sure. The noise from the Yamaha is typical high pitched airy sound. I turned the gain down to -8 or so to reduce the noise but can still hear it a foot or so from the speakers. Really not an issue but it bothers me.

Top Bottom