• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Custom IEM recommendations/help unlimited budget

Looking for a TOTL state of the art experience.

Really want a pair of customs, had a pair of UErM ( ultimate ears reference monitors) back in the day and loved them. ( they got ran over unfortunately) been using universals ever since and I can't say I'm happy.

Replacing nasty dirty/worn ear tips and poor fit has driven me crazy. ( I'm a drummer)

As said, I'm rich like Amir so budget is unlimited just want best sound quality and build quality.

Will be driving them out off an iPhone dongle as well as an Astell and kern se180 (love it for its parametric eq.)

Any help is appreciated!

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm gonna suggest you try a few more tips before you go down the rabbit hole of a ciem.

As someone who was extremely frustrated with gunky foamies and non-sealing silicone tips, I have found two solutions.

Order up a moondrop chu for $20 or Kato (my favorite iem) to try the moondrop spring tips. These tips are great. A bit more gummy and grabby than a silicone tip, but aren't nearly as painful to pull out quickly like my next suggestion.

AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC tips.
These suckers seal like glue. They mold to your ears under your body's warmth. The only downside is the fit is almost too good and you can't remove them quickly. Xelastec crystals are also great for my galaxy buds 2.

I hope this helps. I understand the frustration.

OP
Marvy_Chen's_Lobotomy
What's special about these spring tips? I've heard good things about moondrop

However I think I'm set on getting back to a custom experience

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking for a TOTL state of the art experience.

Really want a pair of customs, had a pair of UErM ( ultimate ears reference monitors) back in the day and loved them. ( they got ran over unfortunately) been using universals ever since and I can't say I'm happy.

Replacing nasty dirty/worn ear tips and poor fit has driven me crazy. ( I'm a drummer)

As said, I'm rich like Amir so budget is unlimited just want best sound quality and build quality.

Will be driving them out off an iPhone dongle as well as an Astell and kern se180 (love it for its parametric eq.)

Any help is appreciated!

With cost no object for a true portable, I would spring for the Oriolus Traillii myself with PW Orpheus cable if I had unlimited budget like yours and replace your SE180 for the Astell and Kern SP2000 Cu which I currently have (best sounding DAP to my subjective preferences). Traillii is currently the best IEM I've heard so far and that's including other TOTL brands from 64 Audio, Shure KSE1500 and Elysian X. (I leave it up to you whether I'm trolling sarcastically or actually serious lol)

Capture.PNG

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It
What's special about these spring tips? I've heard good things about moondrop

However I think I'm set on getting back to a custom experience
I hate to suggest headfi, but they do a good job of explaining the pros and cons. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-spring-tips.25853/

Moondrop is pretty great. Their tuning is harman-esque with an emphasis on reducing canal resonance.

If you're set on ciem's, then I would start to look at 64 audio. It's just hard to say since the tuning of the a12t isn't really any better than my Kato. Of course I'm just going off graphs, but I don't plan on investing much more into iem's.

Graph websites.

Top Bottom