• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Custom 2.1 setup for computer

Hi, everyone.

I have a budget (emphasis on the bad) 2.1 computer speaker set with a sub housing the amp and 2 L/R speakers that I want to replace with something custom, but I'd like to use a pair of bookshelf speakers or monitors that I choose myself without being locked into buying a company's full system.
I can find a pair of speakers I'd be satisfied with, and a sub, but does anyone know of a 2.1 amplifier that would be suited to sit on a desktop? I'd probably be running a Grace SDAC or something into so that's taken care of.

Thanks,
Bob

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Bob,

How much are looking at spending here?

And have you considered getting active speakers + sub? Likely to be better value for money overall IMHO.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ditto on the active speakers – saves desk real-estate. I’m running a pair of Swans M200 with a Velodyne SPL10 sub. Sounds great. They practically give the M200s away used on ebay.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

cequalspid

For a desktop setup I'd go with active speakers. I went from Swans, to Adam A5X's and later added the Adam Sub8.

For nearfield/desktop, active monitors would be worth investigating. Is your source a PC?

OP
Lord Bobbymort
Hi Bob,

How much are looking at spending here?

And have you considered getting active speakers + sub? Likely to be better value for money overall IMHO.

A few hundred at the most. It wouldn't be my main listening setup but it's going to be where I listen to things for a lot of time still.

For a desktop setup I'd go with active speakers. I went from Swans, to Adam A5X's and later added the Adam Sub8.

For nearfield/desktop, active monitors would be worth investigating. Is your source a PC?

Yeah, PC.

Thanks, everyone. A friend of mine had good results from a pair of active monitors so maybe I'll just go that route, I just have a thing for passive speakers.

OP
Lord Bobbymort
Anyone have any luck with something like the Klipsch R15-PM, or RP-160M? I've had a rough go with Klipsch being pretty sterile in someone else's setup.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't find any measurements of any of those Klipsch models. In general, Klipsch makes high-quality, competitively-priced speakers, which tend to trade off bass extension in favour of SPL/sensitivity in comparison to others in their prize/size class.

In the price range you're looking at, I think you'd find it hard to beat JBL LS30x in terms of all-round performance. Not sure whether I'd recommend 305, 306 or 308; depends mostly on room size and listening levels.

hitek

I spend nearly all my listening time at my desks but they are large and I have some spare room so I'm using HDMI out from my Computers video card to an old Yamaha RX-V863 that I picked up used and still new enough that it is able to run modern enough 5.1/7.1 lossless surround formats through HDMI.

At the moment I have a pair of B&W CDM1NT bookshelves and a Paradigm DSP3100 V1 10" subwoofer connected to it and have put the center and surrounds away for now.

The JBL LSR300 series are a good buy if you want a pair of active monitors, the tricky thing with a setup like this and adding a sub is fiddling with crossovers and getting the sub to integrate with the setup.

I know JBL makes the LSR310s subwoofer that can match the setup but myself I would want to get more sound value out of the price of that and go for sheer bass performance!

What I like about my setup is it's great for 2 channel stereo whilst also being great for watching movies and playing my video games in surround.
I get the big plus of bass management for the subwoofer and am able to play around with some other settings.

I really wish we could get some compact sized devices on the market that are able to act like an AVR and provide a lot of that EQ, DSP and integrate with a setup like mine with no real hassle or work.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Kali LP6 and LP8 are in the same ballpark as the JBLs and have similarly good measurements. I just wish any of them had a digital input.

An oddball option would be the HifiBerry BeoCreate if they ever come back into stock, and if you don't mind a bit of DIY. 2x30W + 2x60W, DSP, optical in and out. Not seen any measurements, but HifiBerry are usually at least competent. IIRC it's using tpa3128 amps so a similar performance level to in the JBL internals.

Top Bottom