• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Curvature blindness

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
curvature-blindness-Takahashi-1.png

Yes visual rather than auditory. Still important about how the senses can be fooled.

I think many modern audiophiles suffer from a combo of imagined/auditory perceived curvature blindness of digital audio.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuroskeptic/2017/12/08/curvature-blindness-illusion/#.Wisp-Etryi7

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Very interesting. A lot of these seem to stem from the brain taking shortcuts/jumping to conclusions. This helps us so much in everyday life that it has become the way we think. It is responsible for us recognizing someone's face when shown normally, but not when it is upside down!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It's only a problem in the Gray Area.

What does that say?

Avoid Gray Areas?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it works in color too. I'll color one later and we'll see.

fas42

Major Contributor
Very interesting. A lot of these seem to stem from the brain taking shortcuts/jumping to conclusions. This helps us so much in everyday life that it has become the way we think. It is responsible for us recognizing someone's face when shown normally, but not when it is upside down!
Yes, the brain uses whatever cues it can to make sense of things - so, it's trivially easy to create 'tests' like those above which deliberately manipulate knowledge of our senses so that we "get it wrong". Ordinary record producers play with phase effects, very obviously, so we hear things "in the wrong place".

Which is a good thing. Our brains are our best friends in terms of throwing up an illusion; feed them with good enough quality cues, and the "believability of the mirage" is quite astounding - but get it a tiny bit wrong in key ways, and the fakery is then obvious.

The faces analogy is spot on - upside down, we struggle; right side up, someone with makeup trying to fool us that they are someone we know has to get it almost perfect, or we will reject that deceit - our minds zoom in on subtle 'incorrectnesses', and we recognise the fraud.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The article says it only works with a medium gray background. This one seems to work for me.

Curvature blindness greenish.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Wombat

Master Contributor
But why, consistently, every second line?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
But why, consistently, every second line?

The way the lines are shaded is the key. (along with whatever it is the background contributes)

One set is shaded across the peak and trough, the other set is shaded on the slopes.

Peak shading looks rounded, slope shading looks triangular.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just go's to show ya,
Believe Nothing You Hear, and Only One Half That You See.
Or was it the other way around?
I can't remember any more. LOL

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
I am intrigued by the interaction of the real world and human perception. I am nonplussed by those who ignore or deny it.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The effect works, but to a lesser amount in the black and white background areas for me, not just the shaded area.

Top Bottom