• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Curse of the left and right ear

palamudin

Ive been fixing some headphones, as it goes i was listening to some reference recordings including left/right channel from JM lab cd2. I was kinda struck by the difference in "volume" of certain frequencies on left and right ear. Long ago i heard some online "science" about hearing different types of frequencies with left and right ear (music/speech) but could not find any additional evidence apart from "scientists say". Therefore i tested once more with youtube video changing sides of headphones and i can confirm that i hear difference between left and right ear. Some frequencies are harsh on right while muffled on left while some are pronounced on left but "masked" on right. Share your experiences on this matter, if you have any. Dont blame me for pointing out something you didnt notice till now (uncomfortable tongue syndrome).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At one time truck drivers had decreased acuity and frequency range in the left ear. That's because the window was down and noise was greater on this side. I doubt this is true now with AC.

OP
P

palamudin

Interesting, so playing provided video nets you exact same result on both left and right ear while wearing headphones? I did have some major head traumas throughout life tho, and i never gave any attention to difference in left/right ear sensitivity till i was focusing hard on hearing difference between channels... its that or the headphones are busted or my soldering skills ain't worth 2 cents :D. I'm open to possibilities.

Cosmik

Major Contributor

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Recently I listened to some sine sweeps and I noticed that around 2.5 kHz it swings to right and then back. I got a bit worried but then I found out that that's how Senns HD 380 are:
Sennheiser_HD%20380%20Pro_LeftRight_-_-_HDM-X_-_90_20-20k_-_fr.png

Curiously, the graph from goldenears.net shows swing in the opposite direction:
ccf86aad01b0125d427f46b4a086fc17.png

Top Bottom