• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Currently using TV as streamer - Is that Sufficient for my Needs?

agiletiger

Until recently, I have never even considered having a streamer. We have been accessing streaming services via our TV or Apple TV. Now that I'm looking to upgrading my sound system, I am now considering how much should streaming capabilities factor into my upgrade plan.

Current State:
  • Blu Ray, AppleTV, OTA, MacMini connected to our TV via HDMI -> TV connected to DAC via Optical -> DAC connected to integrated amp via RCAs -> Amp to Speaker via speaker cables
  • MacMini also connected to DAC via USB, yadda yadda yadda...
  • Utilize Airplay via TV
Upgrade scenarios:
  • Passive - Move to a one box solution that replaces amp, DAC and adds subwoofer inputs, room correction and possibly streaming
  • Active - Use existing Kali LP-6 that is currently being used in my basement and find a preamp that can tackle all of the above roles mentioned in the passive scenarios.
It seems like when trying to find a one box solution for either passive or active, I am losing out on a type of connection (USB or eARC) or streaming/Airplay capabilities.

Are there any disadvantages to continuing to use my TV for streaming and Airplay2 or does having a streamer, either as a separate component or embedded within the component(s) I'm considering, an important factor?

PS - MacMini is supposed to serve as a music and file server for me but in practice, that is not the case. That will be a separate post.

D

Deleted member 43441

For my needs, i’ve always found that I have enough options between my TV and a Roku, and or Apple TV, and everything gets tied to my preamp processor. That’s the heartbeat of any dedicated home theater in my opinion, the preamp or AVR. I continue to hang onto my nine-year-old preamp processor, and have not gone to 4K TV as of yet. right around the same time in 2013 and 2014 4K was just coming out and I opted for a Panasonic 1080 plasma TV which I still have.

Only you can answer how much do you need? How many streaming services do you need, how many different boxes do you need before it becomes A wiring nightmare. I have a wiring nightmare right now you don’t need that LOL.

carvin

Am in the same spot. Actually I just joined ASR as I will be setting up a new system which will be used for TV (no movies) and Spotify.

Top Bottom