• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Current state of mainstream music scene (Billie Eilish taken Grammys by storm..)

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a sign! French singer I've fallen in love recently, did a really nice cover of Billie. This is a game changer ;)

North_Sky

Major Contributor
This' just in ...
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/how-billie-eilish-accidentally-became-famous.html/

Accident or not it's no accident if you're a fan or not...or is it?
She can afford to have a say now; she's POPular, good lookin' and can sing ...
She might not be my music genre but she's not destroying anything; she's fine.
And with time her music might improve...dynamically, rhythmically and synchronically.
I'm sure she'll be surrounded by pro electronica computerised musicians (robotically) and fabulous techno pop rap dancers from the pro dancing troupe...for her music videos.

I can't wait for the new James Bond song she'll be singing...No Time to Die...right on.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really don't want to raise some controversies or flame threads, but can you tell me guys, what is so sensational about her, solely "musicallywise"? Am I deaf alien, not feeling the excitement of millions of fans?
With this kind of romantic expressionism, the singer and the song will either connect with you emotionally or not. If it does, it can be ecstatic and if not it can fall flat and even be more-or-less repellent. Some will love it and be moved by it while others don't get it or even dislike it.

Normally I dislike hyper-romanticism and I usually dislike close-mic crooners. So when I listened to
(you mentioned the Grammys) I was surprised to find that I wanted to listen all the way through. The piano part is dreadfully hackneyed ballad stuff that Elton and the rest did to death decades ago. But the vocal is novel and affecting and she sings it excellently. The control and intonation is impressive. She has a personal and distinctive artistic voice.

So while it's not really my cup of tea, I can totally see why others might go weak at the knees over it.

thefsb

This is a sign! French singer I've fallen in love recently, did a really nice cover of Billie. This is a game changer ;)
Eek. No. While she's not my type, I can understand the falling in love part but the singing and strumming is pretty bad.

But in case you think me insensitive to the charm of ... I don't know how to put it delicately ...

When I was in my mid 20s I fell in love with Iva Bitova while watching the Fred Frith film Step Across the Border. She can still raise the hair on my neck and put a lump in my throat so that I can't speak for quite some time.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Eilish is a good performer, but her brother deserves all the credit for creating her music. I think today the Grammy awards are 100% political. Think about it. Talentless trash "artists" like Tylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry, JayZ, all got multiple grammy awards. This is ridiculous. Back in the '80s, you had to be as good as Michael Jackson and Prince to get a Grammy, but today, all you have to do is say something bad about Donald Trump, and you're golden... The last time I've watched the Grammy awards ceremony was back in 1995... Same thing with the Oscars, BTW...

Now... that shit is funny!!!

'tis sad, 'tis true, 'tis true, 'tis sad...

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
LOL. Nice - although I give the vocals a 2 at best - but the performance is good for the genre. I almost feel like I'm watching a Twilight movie (I'll let you decide whether I think that's a good thing or not). ;) Seems like it's the same target demographic as Eilish actually... age demographic at least (based on all the screams).

Considering it seems @pavuol got his answer (if not and it bothers you, I'll delete this post)... I'll raise your K-pop with some good J-metal that should be considered an example of 21st century opera - well goth opera at least. :p

Asian pop artists put more thought into their choreography and costumes for a single song than most American artists put into their entire album and tour performances combined. Can't say that makes them better or worse of course... but they definitely seem to work much harder at it.

That was fun! Not something that I would actively look forward to listening regularly... but I'm quite used to Japanese soundtracks in some anime shows.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I actually like a few of Eilish's stuff (quite interesting), but I would not really go out of my way to find it. Also, because of the DR compression I can only usually listen for a short amount of time and at lower SPL volumes. I have ZERO reason to despise her music though, even though it's not my cup of tea. Just move on, man... There are a gazillion other artists to listen to and 'sample' out there. Ummm, no, I haven't watched the Grammys for over a decade.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keyboard players, drummers, or all these other kinds of instrumentalists now play more and more on electric instruments or MIDI controllers with sounds selected on their computer. It can be frustrating in some cases to find ways to express the full range of our musicality while using digital sounds. It never quite feels the same as playing a real acoustic instrument.
The great thing is you can find your own sounds. You're not limited by the instrument anymore. 20+ years ago, I overheard the Neptunes arguing which snare to use in a track they were working on. They had a lot more choices than anybody with an actual drum kit.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The last Grammy I can remember seeing was when Bonnie Raitt won 3 well deserved for Nick Of Time.
Since then these award shows have all gone to hell controlled by politics and popularity.
Just say NO

Top Bottom