• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Current state of mainstream music scene (Billie Eilish taken Grammys by storm..)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That was some indirect, politically incorrect way of expressing your opinion on creditibility of this award

It's more of the same breathy, little girl, whispered hipster stuff with depressing lyrics as a bonus. Not my cup of tea, and I'm happy to say what I like and don't like, but I'm glad there's people that like different stuff. It's be a boring world if everyone listened to just the same few artists.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I have a few Jeff Beck albums/DVDs that feature Imogen Heap(same as above description with warbling, sighing and groaning as well). Fast forward time for me. Obviously she has some popularity. Jeff has a high turnover rate for female singers. :)

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
She has to be good to perform No Time To Die latest James Bond's film opening theme song, period. She's like Madonna, like Lady Gaga, like Adele, except she's not...she's Billie Eilish.

https://theconversation.com/billie-...ngers-challenging-james-bonds-machismo-130665

Me, what listening to her music videos bring in my life?
I cannot honestly say because it's not my music genre.
On a scale from 0 to 10, and please forgive me all fans of hers as I don't want to devalorize your higher level of generous appreciation which I respect 100%

Sure the dynamic range is not classical orchestral live, but it'll come.
She's a good looking kid, and @ level 2 she beats a whole bunch of level zero RAP losers.
She can Pop, and she can Rap her own too.

I wish I was 13 and never heard the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and John Coltrane.

I wish her a succesfull musical career, love, health and wealth.
She's already there; she only has to make it last till 100 years old and in the book of immortal artist singers...books, songs that last, libraries and wiki.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I'm here mostly for the scientific audio data, and the humor.

And that article is over four years old plus I don't agree with the author's rank of preferences. But I sure respect his opinion.

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I mean she's not playing a cello here like a virtuoso, she's new Pop sensation for the kids. She's not audiophile music demo, she doesn't pretend either.

Measuring the dynamic range of her songs is one revelatory aspect; measurements do matter. The rest is up to our own personal emotional chords...strings of our soul if her music singing style moves our mojo or not. She moves not much my mojo without stressing my natural disposition.

digicidal

Major Contributor
It's more of the same breathy, little girl, whispered hipster stuff with depressing lyrics as a bonus. Not my cup of tea, and I'm happy to say what I like and don't like, but I'm glad there's people that like different stuff. It's be a boring world if everyone listened to just the same few artists.

I can't believe I'm in agreement with John on something (lol OK there's actually quite a few things, but still). I'm just gonna say that her brother could be at least as successful with anyone else singing the vocals - there, I said it... everyone hate me now? :p Some songs, though not all, have some really catchy beats and arrangements... but the vocals are as uninspiring as Hayley Williams of Paramore (and for similar reasons - despite their vocals being very different).

Gotta love the "period." part. Like it is an inarguable statement of fact. Ha.
There have been some absolutely dreadful (and acknowledged as dreadful) Bond theme songs.
Here's a nice summary ranked worst to best. Hard to argue with the order, it's pretty much perfect.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...ovie-theme-songs-ranked-worst-to-best-154927/

And then, just when I get accustomed to being in agreement, you pull out a list of songs that has Paul McCartney & Wings and Adelle at very near the top of the list - nope. Sure it may be the best song Wings ever did... but that's saying precious little IMO. And sorry... nothing is worse than Rita's "All Time High" - possibly without any qualification at all! However, David Ehrlich rates that as better than Chris Cornell's "You Know My Name"?! Even if it is arguably the worst song he ever performed... them's still fightin' words! :mad:

It's almost as if subjective taste in music has no rational basis whatsoever... Or that one man's ceiling is another man's horrible taste in music, uh, floor. ;)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The style is not for everyone; her brother's writing and production is what really makes some of the songs. Selena Gomez's new song is one I surprisingly liked, only to find out that Finneas co-produced it (it's like when you can tell a song was written by another famous singer, I easily recognize Ed Sheeran's writing in other artist's songs).
In regards to her vocal ability, she for sure will in the future need to do more vocally impressing performances; this vocal coach reaction to her Grammy performance points out some potential issues if she were to do that:

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
Given some of the high artistic standards in this thread, I think you guys would really appreciate....

digicidal

Major Contributor
Given some of the high artistic standards in this thread, I think you guys would really appreciate....

LOL. Nice - although I give the vocals a 2 at best - but the performance is good for the genre. I almost feel like I'm watching a Twilight movie (I'll let you decide whether I think that's a good thing or not). ;) Seems like it's the same target demographic as Eilish actually... age demographic at least (based on all the screams).

Considering it seems @pavuol got his answer (if not and it bothers you, I'll delete this post)... I'll raise your K-pop with some good J-metal that should be considered an example of 21st century opera - well goth opera at least. :p

Asian pop artists put more thought into their choreography and costumes for a single song than most American artists put into their entire album and tour performances combined. Can't say that makes them better or worse of course... but they definitely seem to work much harder at it.

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
some good J-metal that should be considered an example of 21st century opera - well goth opera at least. :p
Whatever, I don't care, man :) Hopefully we don't end up posting DSBM videos in this thread, because that would be proof that Billie serves to evil just like Rihanna and her music acts subliminally on all of us (like some conspirators blame contemporary YT megastars :eek::p

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dogen

Forum Donor

I very much agree with your critique of much popular music, but I hear Eilish differently. Yes, the subject matter can be “depressing” but this is music written for and by young people living in a very disturbing world. To me, the lyrics are much more interesting than the norm, and the arrangements are much easier on my old ears. At least, to me, this isn’t the same corporate pablum the industry has been feeding kids for decades. Eilish broke out because she resonated with her peers; no committee designed her based on algorithms and focus groups.

But, vive la difference!

digicidal

Major Contributor
I like Ilomilo, kind of minimalism in music/voice/visuals which I tend to easily like. The ending with computer text is perfect.
Agreed... that one seems a cut above to me as well. Some of the effects still bug me however.

Newk Yuler

This thread has made me need to scrub my brain with some classic Van Halen.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Top Bottom