• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Current state of mainstream music scene (Billie Eilish taken Grammys by storm..)

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks everyone for opinions, I can relate to pretty much most of them. Looks like sympathies to her music particular differs greatly as with other cases, nevertheless it looks like she has not only teen fans :)
Still, I can't help myself not to see her as another "product", carefully prepared and given huge support by the right "authorities".
Maybe I'm wrong and it's only early wrong impression and it will change later..

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why bother yourself with this, it's good to be open minded and try new artists, but if you don't like them, you don't like them, and it does not matter what other peoples opinions are.
Absolutely, I'm just a little empathetic and feel a small pity for all that tallented musicians left unnoticed (almost/relatively), because all the hype is around a few "chosen one"... But now, that @digicidal has explained me the "weigh" of Grammys through Simpsons, I can get better sleep :)

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There have been profound changes in how recorded music is created...
Very nice post man, thanks. It could be a topic for separate thread.
One friend of mine is active in experimental music scene which I don't know much about, so I asked him to send me some samples of his favourite works. I listened to some three albums, all being mostly computer generated with good range od synthetic sounds/noises. I realized that I liked most one particular, which have sounds with "physical nature" reminiscence. With others it was like OK, fascinating what the computers/synthetizers can compile (looking like unreacheble with "conventional" musical instruments or physical world objects), but no feeling to me. More like some alien intelligence recordings sent to Earth from far space :)

But what the computers as tools for creating music have to be acknowledged for, is the "democratization" amond potential music makers.
Not all people can master the play on conventional instruments (let alone more of them), but now everyone with enough enthusiasm/time can learn to create music with computers.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just a little empathetic and feel a small pity for all that tallented musicians left unnoticed
Don't forget there are hundreds of awards, every magazine, blog and media outlet has at least one, hell given the weirdness of the modern world I could publish accurate most played album lists, top artists etc from my own listening from last year if anyone was interested.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know how to put this short. I consider myself as open minded music enthusiast and although I don't keep pace with new pop artists/trends, from time to time I "give some of them chance". So was the case, when I have just read about Billie taking so many awards on Grammys. So I listened the whole album (ok I admit, just once, will give it another try) and to be honest, I felt like an idiot, knowing nothing about music, despite being almost in my 40's... :eek:
I really don't want to raise some controversies or flame threads, but can you tell me guys, what is so sensational about her, solely "musicallywise"? Am I deaf alien, not feeling the excitement of millions of fans?
Its just another slight mutation in the evolution of music. Massively different to something from 4 generations ago, not dissimilar to thousands currently around but just different enough to thrive.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
There have been profound changes in how recorded music is created, leading to almost ”apples to oranges” difference in contemporary pop vs music created in the 20 century, and all the way back to prehistoric times.

There’s a lot to it, but one big change is the reliance in the most popular genres on digital instruments to create sounds. These instruments are almost entirely programmed, not performed in real time. It turns out that digital instruments are not very “expressive“ as performance instrument. But with careful and imaginative production can be made to express by being ”programmed,” a non-real-time process.

The parallel is imperfect, but it has made producing music more like animation vs live action in movies.

Essentially, this is a more “cerebral” process and less “physical.”

Digital instruments are also abstract themselves. They are embodied in matter, but there is no “analog“ between the motion of the molecules in the instrument (a computer) and the sound that comes out of the speakers They don’t actually make sound, they make numbers. In many cases, when listening to electronic music you are hearing first generation sound production.

Historically making music was an activity involving the brain, moving muscles, moving molecules, in real-time.

This is largely gone in music production. With Billie Eilish most certainly.

Where this thread has still not been broken is in the vocals, which still contain a connection to physical activity in the body. And a lot of weight is carried by the vocals in modern pop music.

There is a similar aspect in visual animatio, where human actors are still required for the voice, to actually complete the illusion and allow full expression by animated characters.

Most modern pop “leaves me cold” and I think the core production process is part of it.

It‘s not that it’s inferior, but that there is a deep difference from the kind of music I grew up with, which formed cultural context for what music “means” to me. So I do recognize that someone like Billie Eilish is doing some cool stuff, I just don‘t “get the feeling” from it.

As a quick reference to what I’m talking about, compare any modern pop to the greats of classic rock. Apples and oranges.

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
You a musician?Plenty of good music in the world,they (the elites) said Jazz wasn't music,classical was superior,I beg to differ.

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I listened the album.....I must say I had to turn the volume down quite much.......weird distortion and wobble ....but I am an old fart so what do I know....good for her.

EB1000

Eilish is a good performer, but her brother deserves all the credit for creating her music. I think today the Grammy awards are 100% political. Think about it. Talentless trash "artists" like Tylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry, JayZ, all got multiple grammy awards. This is ridiculous. Back in the '80s, you had to be as good as Michael Jackson and Prince to get a Grammy, but today, all you have to do is say something bad about Donald Trump, and you're golden... The last time I've watched the Grammy awards ceremony was back in 1995... Same thing with the Oscars, BTW...

Dogen

Forum Donor
Encouraged partly by this thread, I listened to some of her music today. I find it much more interesting than almost anything else out there right now. The instrumentation is clever, there are memorable hooks and the lyrics meaningful and outside the mainstream. I can see why younger women are emotionally attracted to this...the way women of my age were attached to Joni Mitchell.

I do not think Ellish is a manufactured product from the musico-industrial complex; she sounds like the real thing to me. Looking forward to hearing more of her music, and seeing where she and her brother take this.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

Hemi-Demon

I like her, well better yet I like her production. Album of the year is quite a stretch though.

This was a great year for jazz music, it would have been nice to see one of the years great albums to take the place of this. John Batiste, Jeremy Pelt, Jaimie Branch, Theon Cross, Christian Scott all had stellar, genre breaking albums that were far more complete pieces or art, than the Billie English project. But of course I am no longer in the target market (18-25).

The Grammys just miss sometimes. Prince, Beyonce, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Jimi, Portishead, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Funkadelic, Coltrane etc., have never won Album of the year.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Just my personal opinion, but unless we're talking about Mother's Milk... there's a pretty good reason for RHCP never winning one. :p Although I guess if quantity is more important than quality... then they deserve one.

On a serious note... any award for which participants and insiders commonly campaign for selection - isn't worth the time spent watching it. I would include political positions in this camp as well. :rolleyes:

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
If you want to hear Billie Eilish without the pop mix, she did an acoustic concert with Apple. (It's heavily advertised on my AppleTV at the moment).

She's a very talented and a good singer. Her lyrics are also very sentimental. She reminds me a lot of Lady Gaga--another excellent singer, song writer who capitalized on commercial pop's wide appeal.

Anyways, here is the official youtube link:

Enjoy!

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
"All the Good Girls Go to Hell" Acoustic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG6xAmTK-kk

pop version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PZsSWwc9xA&feature=youtu.be&t=52

"When the Party is Over" Acoustic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzNuwjErYlE

She's so good! How can you not like her! ;)

ps. I only heard about her after the Grammy's. But I'm a huge fan now.

oohlou

@maty post is telling. It will be interesting to see how her music is viewed as time goes on. I suspect we will see remastered versions 5-10 years down the road.

I'm only on my first listen of her album, I like it, but the extreme low dynamic range and distortion on songs like "xanny" make it hard to listen to at times.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'd never heard of her until a few minutes ago.

Put it this way, if her music came for free in a CD jewel case, I'd throw out the CD and the booklet and keep the case only.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I can't see what all the adulation is about. As a singer she is mediocre at best.

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd never heard of her until a few minutes ago.

Put it this way, if her music came for free in a CD jewel case, I'd throw out the CD and the booklet and keep the case only.

That was some indirect, politically incorrect way of expressing your opinion on creditibility of this award :)
Anyway, I will give her a try at least (acoustic versions mentioned in previous posts)

Top Bottom