• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Current recommendation for instrumentation grade audio interface

OP
R

Raqs

Forum Donor
The Cosmos ADC costs $160 and can do at least -130dB THD:
View attachment 208550
I understand, but at this point, given its practical insurmountable challenges - such as the need for a preamplifier that's not available yet - what I said stands.

It simply cannot be used as an RME or Lynx can, so I don't think the comparison is valid.

There are interfacing expectations (impedance, level, etc) that are typically required from such a device that the Cosmos ADC doesn't offer. It's almost like an internal module that performs incredibly in some ideal situations, but actual devices offer real world performance because of their several "accessory" stages and internal modules that support expected functionality (and may diminish their absolute performance, but that's an assumed "loss").

(Which is not meant as a criticism of that ADC device. I am excited about it and ready to try it when it can serve my needs)

Last edited:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the ADI-2. I recommend them. The ONLY downside is lacking ON/OFF power button.

I use it for my PS3. It has enough power to drive my HD650 too.

The thing can resist a nuclear bomb easily.

OP
R

Raqs

Forum Donor
I have the ADI-2. I recommend them. The ONLY downside is lacking ON/OFF power button.

I use it for my PS3. It has enough power to drive my HD650 too.

The thing can resist a nuclear bomb easily.
Which one, the old one that doesn't have USB?
If yes, how do you connect it to the computer and if there are any downsides to using it.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Which one, the old one that doesn't have USB?
If yes, how do you connect it to the computer and if there are any downsides to using it.
Correct, no USB.

The other one is called DAC.

Why I would want to connect a PC? Connection is between CD/DAT/DVD/PS2/PS3/XBOX/etc to ADI-2, and then to headphone, speakers, etc.

But you can still use it with PC, just use SPDIF output (from PC) to SPDIF input (on ADI-2).

Last edited:
Top Bottom