• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Current recommendation for instrumentation grade audio interface

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure I have a good handle on this. What exact type of device would be a fit for this duty?

I am only aware of DACs taking SPDIF in and "outputting" USB, but that can't be it.

SPDIF is completely missing from my universe, so I'm flying blind on this.

I suggest you have a look at this thread below.

First it's about a good quality but cheap ADC evaluation board (I have one. It's working good) that also comes with AES output.
(PS: I just read input impedance is 560 ohm for this one. So won't work either for your use case, I'm afraid)

Second, there are also references for AES or SPDIF to USB interfaces.

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're totally right. I'm sorry.
By the way, any recommendation for a good quality input buffer for the Cosmos ADC ?

Balanced + SE input, 10k ohm minimum input impedance, stereo, <200 ohm output impedance, balanced output, low noise and distortion.
Without the APU notch, I mean.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I don't have a recommendation unfortunately.
People on our discord have built their own with varying levels of success.
Perhaps the folks on diyaudio.com can point you towards some commercial buffers?

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The emu404 works fine on win10 for me

OP
R

Raqs

Forum Donor
The emu404 works fine on win10 for me
A ship that's sailed for me, but:
  • which driver?
  • consistently with all Windows updates? Or maybe on a shop computer that doesn't get updated much?
  • what else did you need to do to have it recognized and stay working solidly?
I couldn't get it to work consistently if my life depended on it, and honestly past a point there's no spectacular performance/price ratio that can compensate for frustration over a certain level.

Hayabusa

I used EMUU_PCAppDrv_US_1_40_00_BETA.exe as driver.
It could be I had to run the installer in a compatibility mode if I remember correctly.

OP
R

Raqs

Forum Donor
I used EMUU_PCAppDrv_US_1_40_00_BETA.exe as driver.
It could be I had to run the installer in a compatibility mode if I remember correctly.
That's the driver I tried (primarily, but also a few others), to no avail.

BTW, if you haven't done this already, there's a mod to the left channel to clean up some unthoughtful PCB trace routing (which is dumping PS noise into it due to proximity aspects). Makes left a bit better than right, and both squeaky clean.

Hayabusa

That's the driver I tried (primarily, but also a few others), to no avail.

BTW, if you haven't done this already, there's a mod to the left channel to clean up some unthoughtful PCB trace routing (which is dumping PS noise into it due to proximity aspects). Makes left a bit better than right, and both squeaky clean.
Yes have seen that mod but did not get to it yet.
For the time I use the right channel for measurements :)

>>That's the driver I tried (primarily, but also a few others), to no avail.

Did you try a windows compatibity mode? (it suggested vista service pack2)

OP
R

Raqs

Forum Donor
I think what he needs is the opposite direction: SPDIF to USB.

Something like this (which works both direction):
Been scraping AMZ for something fitting (the store choice would allow me to get it pronto, possibly even the same day) and I'm losing patience with this solution. I guess what I'm looking for is, essentially, a device able to take SPDIF in and output to USB, correct? But if the solution is a $130 device, I don't think that's very practical. Both cost, and adding a cog wheel in this machinery.

(wouldn't SPDIF typically be limited to 96kHz?...)

Last edited:
OP
R

Raqs

Forum Donor
In expectance of the Clarett+ (in transit now), been expanding the search a bit.

It seems Universal Audio makes some pristine high end interfaces, but the low end don't seem to have published specs (which is a very odd choice to me from what seems like a respectable house). Does anyone have any input on how those more affordable offerings from their range would perform in this perspective? I see some JK reviews but not much else.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In expectance of the Clarett+ (in transit now), been expanding the search a bit.

It seems Universal Audio makes some pristine high end interfaces, but the low end don't seem to have published specs (which is a very odd choice to me from what seems like a respectable house). Does anyone have any input on how those more affordable offerings from their range would perform in this perspective? I see some JK reviews but not much else.
Julian Krause again with some measurements. It looks to be about like other similarly priced interfaces. In the lower segment I've not seen anything better the Motu 2.

OP
R

Raqs

Forum Donor
Well, I got the Clarett+, and got some interesting results.

After registering some frustration with cables with this interface too - but having far more ability to move it around to find "quiet" chunks of space to position the interconnects - I decided to go back to the Lynx and try harder to work a suitable configuration with the cables. And, surprise, surprise, the Lynx wins hands down... Not even a contest.

Disregard the measurements from different channels. I didn't pay a lot of attention to which cable goes where, and relatively speaking, the best result is the likely actual performance.

A couple of conclusions:
  • The Lynx, on 44.1k/65536 is at -116.5dB THD, which I think is pretty amazing. The only thing topping this would probably be an RME >$1.6k... If even that. I managed to see about -113dB on the Clarett - which is really good by itself and I believe exceeds its spec - but, not consistent (though probably very short cables, such as 1.5ft, may improve consistency and maybe even overall noise) and also, see below.
  • The actual deal breaker may be that the Clarett+ is useless over about 45kHz. The Lynx maintains its noise floor all the way its sample rate ability can reach (encroaching into 100kHz).
Maybe all I needed is a trigger to re-examine my cables layout and clearance from EMI broadcasters and other such crap. I probably should still try to shorten the interconnects (3ft long now) with something as short as I can make it.

The funky thing is the worst offender seems to be the desktop computer (where the Lynx is!!), which points to the amazing engineering skill of the Lynx team in designing such an exceptionally performing device.

Attachments

• Clarett+ 44.1k R.JPG
    Clarett+ 44.1k R.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 66
  • Clarett+ 192k R.JPG
    Clarett+ 192k R.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Lynx L22 44.1k L.JPG
    Lynx L22 44.1k L.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Lynx L22 192k L.JPG
    Lynx L22 192k L.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
OP
R

Raqs

Forum Donor
More FFT points pushes it under -117dB. It's almost too good for the generator itself (AP S1), but that's the reading I'm getting with this setup.

Attachments

• Lynx L22 44.1k L -117.1dB.JPG
    Lynx L22 44.1k L -117.1dB.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 61

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Lynx, on 44.1k/65536 is at -116.5dB THD, which I think is pretty amazing. The only thing topping this would probably be an RME >$1.6k...
The Cosmos ADC costs $160 and can do at least -130dB THD:
111.gif

morillon

Major Contributor
I understood that the cosmos was essentially relevant in balanced h level...(?)
what about unbalanced 1 or 2v?

Last edited:

Hayabusa

I understood that the cosmos was essentially relevant in balanced h level...(?)
what about unbalanced 1 or 2v?
It can be switched to:
0dBFS input impedance
1.7Vrms 640Ω
2.7Vrms 1kΩ
3.5Vrms 1.3kΩ
4.5Vrms 1.66kΩ
6.7Vrms 2.46kΩ
7.6Vrms 2.82kΩ
8.5Vrms 3.12kΩ
10Vrms 3.48kΩ
43Vrms 13.6kΩ

morillon

Major Contributor
thak you
I'm pretty new here.. don't know this cosmos..
I didn't know he had his impedance values....
640 (????) 1.7vrms...

Last edited:
Top Bottom