• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Current music from and about Ukraine and its people- no politics, please.

Katji

Major Contributor
The Kiffness is South African...I was going to check the profile then I saw the t-shirt. So maybe his family is Ukraine origin.

btw kif is an old slang word for...cannabis, derived from gif (poison.)
As a Dutch speaker this was news to me, and alas it turns out to be FAKE NEWS :facepalm:. The real origin is from Moroccan Arabic (surprise surprise) https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kif
mmm...I was vaguely aware of that, but think of "Durban Poison." ...How gif would go to kif, well, I immediately think of how..uhh..distorted Kaapse Afrikaans is...and also how Afrikaans words are distorted or modified when they get used in Durban slang.
...I think you're right though, and I sometimes wondered how it came to be 'poison'. It probably started with 'kif', somehow, and then people thought that was from 'gif'.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
More Nataliya performances to be posted next.
Nataliya Gudziy sings and accompanies herself most skilfully on bandura, with some other musicians on some songs.

Requiem for Kotlyarevskii:

Mother's Song:

Boots aka Dancing Girl:

White Wings aka Bird Of Love aka Peace On Wing:

A concert by Nataliya, for Ukraine:

Shefffield

Oriental Metal from Ukraine. I love it!

eye_scream

Polyphony Project

The mission of the Polyphony Project is to explore, preserve and present the living musical folklore of Ukrainian villages. In addition to recording the intangible cultural treasures of the Ukrainian peasantry using state-of-the-art technology, our priority is to make this heritage of unparalleled value accessible to contemporary society. Having accumulated over centuries, this legacy is finally available online in an organised form. We hope that our website will attract everyone from music enthusiasts to academic researchers.

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After a slow start, this thread has turned out to be exactly what I hoped it would be - music and videos of wide-ranging styles to help us identify with the people of Ukraine.

Thanks to all who have contributed so far.

napfkuchen

"He has colossal power but he's helpless as a lamb, he's a mass of contradiction the paradox of man."

Now for the positive vibes:

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor

Digital download pack of Minute Taker's new single 'I Don't Understand (Song for Ukraine)'. 100% of proceeds will be donated to the DEC Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal to provide vital support to families fleeing the Russian invasion.

DanielT

Major Contributor
This one won ESC 2016. In that festival, you are not allowed to convey political messages in the songs at ESC, so I can post it here. It's a historical flashback:

"1944" is a song written and performed by Ukrainian singer Jamala. It represented Ukraine in the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 and won with a total of 534 points.[1][2]
The lyrics for "1944" concern the deportation of the Crimean Tatars, in the 1940s, by the Soviet Union at the hands of Joseph Stalin because of their alleged collaboration with the Nazis.[4]

��
Eurovision Song Contest 2016 entry
Jamala singles chronology
from the album 1944
Single by Jamala
"1944"
Jamala - 1944.jpg
Released9 March 2016
Recorded2015
Songwriter(s)Susana Jamaladino
CountryUkraine
Artist(s)Jamala
LanguagesEnglish, Crimean Tatar
Composer(s)Jamal

When strangers are coming
They come to your house
They kill you all
and say
We're not guilty
not guilty

Where is your mind?
Humanity cries
You think you are gods
But everyone dies
Do not swallow my soul
Our souls

I would like a toy car
I'm going to yaşalmadım
I would like a toy car
I'm going to yaşalmadım

We could build a future
Where people are free
to live and love
The happiest time

Where is your heart?
Humanity rise
You think you are gods
But everyone dies
Do not swallow my soul
Our souls

I would like a toy car
I'm going to yaşalmadım
I would like a toy car
I'm going to yaşalmadım

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pink Floyd cuts new song - first in 28 years - to benefit Ukraine

Bleib

Major Contributor
It's a Bob Dylan song so not directly related to Ukraine but purchases will all be donated to Ukrainian humanitarian needs

“Lay Down Your Weary Tune”, my second single, is a cover version of the Bob Dylan classic. The recording was inspired by the late Kathy McCoy -- a wife, mother, and medical professional -- who was also a long-time fan of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds and a beloved member of the world-wide community of Bad Seeds fans. The track is available exclusively on Bandcamp, and all proceeds will be donated to both the Ukrainian Humanitarian Appeal and Ellis Park Wildlife Sanctuary until May 13th 2022, after which time the track will be deleted and no longer available.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sofia Shkidchenko aged 14 yodels some.

Tetiana Mazur and her parents sing "Chervona Ruta", accompanying themselves on bandura and sopilka.

Luiku have fun playing "Carpathian Flowers". The lengths some fans will go to, in order to attend a concert, honestly ...

The Dooh sing "Tick"

"The Beginning", from the soundtrack to the 2019 movie-musical "Hutsulka Ksenia" directed by Olena Demyanenko. The songs and story stretch back to before 1940. Care to tango?

Hutsulka Witches. Ukrainian Psychedelic Folk, live at a music festival. What color is this pill?

Singing "Lullaby for the Enemy", Stasik (Anastasia Shevchenko) recommends the enemy take a dirt nap if they attempt to steal land that does not belong to them

The Dakh Daughters discuss Rozy (Roses) and Donbass, having splurged quite a bit on make-up

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
My inspiration for starting this thread is a clip of a classical orchestral music performance that was posted on YouTube today with this description:

If you are a classical music lover, and wish to support these musicians, here is a LINK...

What a great thread this is!

Many here might not be aware of the band The Wedding Present. Even some of those who are might not know that they did a 'Ukrainian Folk Songs' session for John Peel's BBC Radio 1 program Top Gear (guitarist Peter Solowka's father was Ukrainian). This became an album,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_John_Peel_Sessions>, which is still available.

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Top Bottom