• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Current music from and about Ukraine and its people- no politics, please.

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The greatest hit from the legendary Secret Garden and Josh Groban performed by Color Music children's choir from Ukraine!

Katji

Major Contributor
Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
Not sure if this is kinda if thing you want, Xulonn. But there are number of Ukrainian pop artists and groups that I've enjoyed listening to over the last 10 or so years on YouTube. I don't know anything about their politics though. Or really care that much. But I'm very supportive of the people there (and in E. Europe), and their struggles. So thank you for starting this topic.

Last edited:
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good contributions, @ADU. Gracias.

Part of my motivation for starting this thread was to introduce ASR members and visitors to some musical aspects of Ukranian culture. It's easier to relate to and sympathize with a people if you have experienced and enjoyed a bit of their culture.

Zoomer

Last edited:

Zoomer

Some more contemporary Ukrainian folk music: Bayraktar

Judging from the countless versions YT coughs up it's (understandably) popular.
I'll spare you the versions with drones blowing up Orcs, this one has English subs.

Last edited:
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In 1916, Mykola Leontovych composed his most famous music work, the choral miniature "Shchedryk" (known in English as The Little Swallow. This is a work much beloved in Ukraine, and also around the world as its melody was later used for the popular Christmas carol "Carol of the Bells". Somewhat poignant now in light of Leontovych's assassination in 1921 possibly on account of his Ukrainian nationalist leanings. In Shchedryk, Leontovych used the story from and a repeated four-note ostinato motif from an ancient Ukrainian pagan New Year / Spring song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mykola_Leontovych
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shchedryk_(song)

Verevka Ukrainian National Folk Choir in Kiev gives an enchanting performance in traditional costumes:

Just when you thought shopping malls were safe again, (Grigoriy) Verevka/Veryovka Ukrainian National Folk Choir flashmobs one in Kharkiv. Shoppers who came for the muzak ambience, be forewarned. Just kidding, shopping malls are just as safe as any other public place in these times.

A captivating mother-daughter duo of Alina and Teryn Kuzma give you a mellow instrumental version as a bandura duet. The smiles say it all.

Eileen from Post #14 gives you both the original Ukrainian and and English translation in song form:

A rousing artsy pop version by Svjata Vatra, permeated by symbolism of the swallow that portends good fortune:

Last, but by no means whatsoever the least, Nataliya Gudziy's version, accompanying herself on bandura. More Nataliya performances to be posted next. This recording might draw me into dancing around forest trees and campfires in ecstatic pagan rituals.

Last edited:
Top Bottom