• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Current list of best measured headphones

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried to enter oratory manually into Peace. I'm noticing that the gain values keep rounding up or down so they aren't precisely the same. Do you happen to use Peace? Any advice.

Thanks! (Still learning)

K4zEnTc.png
Also, check the filter type at the bottom of each column. Pretty sure some should be either high or low shelves (with Q) rather than peak. Left click on the blue bump icon.

Also, disable the columns with no freq value. Right click on the blue bump icon

OP
Q

QuantumKat

Also, check the filter type at the bottom of each column. Pretty sure some should be either high or low shelves (with Q) rather than peak. Left click on the blue bump icon.

Also, disable the columns with no freq value. Right click on the blue bump icon
You're absolutely right according to this .pdf

There's BW column. Do you know what this corresponds to within Peace?

OP
Q

QuantumKat

Awesome, I think I got it now. The x and y-axes are different scales, but the shape and numbers seem to lineup with the .pdf. I guess the only hazy part for me was the low and high shelf. I'm assuming I was supposed to pick the ones with Q as slope?

aEOtdwq.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome, I think I got it now. The x and y-axes are different scales, but the shape and numbers seem to lineup with the .pdf. I guess the only hazy part for me was the low and high shelf. I'm assuming I was supposed to pick the ones with Q as slope?

aEOtdwq.png
Correct.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonderful.

These things sound even better than before. I think I'll focus my upgrade on a new DAC and a top of the line tube amp. Thanks again everyone!
I wouldn't worry about upgrading. Enjoy what you've got. The only reason to upgrade is if, after applying eq, you are short of power. If youre not getting up to or near full output, youre good.

OP
Q

QuantumKat

That highly likely won't be an audible upgrade (depending on what you currently use). The tube amp could in fact be an audible downgrade.
I've heard that viewpoint. I'll say that when I was using my Schiit Lyr, the warmth of the tube amp when I was listening to jazz was just lovely. It might not be as "accurate" but the warmth was really incredible. I think it has its place.

Currently, I'm using my RME UFX+ as my DAC. Problem is, I have no idea how it measures because it's a music-oriented audio device. I see many people using RME DACs, but again I don't know how my UFX+ stacks up as a pure DAC. Maybe it's already top-notch? No idea.

GaryH

Major Contributor
I've heard that viewpoint. I'll say that when I was using my Schiit Lyr, the warmth of the tube amp when I was listening to jazz was just lovely. It might not be as "accurate" but the warmth was really incredible. I think it has its place.
Oratory's EQ for the HD800S (and many other headphones) includes a filter (band 2 in this case) that his pdf specifically says you can adjust the gain of to add more warmth if you like. That way there wouldn't be the compromises of nonlinear distortion a tube amp adds to the music.

Currently, I'm using my RME UFX+ as my DAC. Problem is, I have no idea how it measures because it's a music-oriented audio device. I see many people using RME DACs, but again I don't know how my UFX+ stacks up as a pure DAC. Maybe it's already top-notch? No idea.
Like any modern, non-broken DAC, it's audibly transparent:

Screenshot_20211120-213956_Acrobat for Samsung.png

OP
Q

QuantumKat

Oratory's EQ for the HD800S (and many other headphones) includes a filter (band 2 in this case) that his pdf specifically says you can adjust the gain of to add more warmth if you like. That way there wouldn't be the compromises of nonlinear distortion a tube amp adds to the music.

Like any modern, non-broken DAC, it's audibly transparent:

View attachment 166971
Ah, so I might not gain much from moving to the Topping or Matrix Element X?

Top Bottom