• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Current list of best measured headphones

QuantumKat

Hello,

Love this site. Just love it.

I'm looking to upgrade everything for Christmas and so far, from what I've gathered, the Matrix Element X and X Sabre are measured as top level DACs. I'll probably buy the Element X.

I currently have Sennheiser HD800s headphones and with EQ they seem to measure well. I am wondering what other headphones on here measure well regardless of price. I didn't see a single thread with all of the measurements like the DAC measurement image with all of the data.

Thanks!

OP
Q

QuantumKat

It doesn't really get better than that.
Your EQ settings might not be optimal. Please post them and I will take a look.
I'm experimenting with a few from here:

Specifically, the # oratory1990 Harman over-ear 2018 and this one from @amirm
# Custom
#Preamp: -7 dB
#Filter: ON LSC Fc 100 Hz Gain 7 dB Q 0.7
#Filter: ON HSC Fc 10000 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 1
#Filter: ON PK Fc 2705 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 1
#Filter: ON PK Fc 5400 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 3

My guess is the latter is the objectively best EQ since it helps the HD follow the Harman curve the longest. I'm new to this though and eager to learn.

GaryH

Major Contributor
My guess is the latter is the objectively best EQ
Certainly not. It only increases the Harman predicted preference rating by an insignificant 2 points. Oratory's own EQ for the HD800S (which he actually owns) that he created manually (not the AutoEQ one based on his measurements) is likely to be the 'objectively best' EQ preset you'll find, increasing the rating by 14 points.

Last edited:
OP
Q

QuantumKat

Any sense of whether that 74 score is surpassed by other headphones with or without EQ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Any sense of whether that 74 score is surpassed by other headphones with or without EQ?

It would be great if the highest scoring headphones would be the objectively best sounding ones to everyone wouldn't it ?
The € 33,- Superlux HD 662F scores 86 on the list much higher than the (considered) best sounding headphones around. :)
Too bad reality differs from the ranking lists (not only the linked list but those found everywhere).

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Search for the rankings. They are listed somewhere

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My guess is the latter is the objectively best EQ since it helps the HD follow the Harman curve the longest.
They both cover the frequency range that can be reliably EQed using measurements.
#Filter: ON LSC Fc 100 Hz Gain 7 dB Q 0.7
#Filter: ON HSC Fc 10000 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 1
#Filter: ON PK Fc 2705 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 1
#Filter: ON PK Fc 5400 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 3
Okay, so you went with Amir's EQ and substituted the 2 bass filters with your own 100 Hz, +7 dB, Q 0.7 low shelf slope filter:
LSC 0.7 dB Fc 100 Hz Gain 7 dB.JPG

The problem is you selected the wrong filter type. As you can see, it adds a lot of energy from 2 kHz and down, further muddying up the already bloated upper bass and lower mids.

If you change the filter from low shelf slope to a regular low shelf filter with +7 dB @ 100 Hz (Q gets greyed out), the result should look like this:
LS Fc 100 Hz Gain 7 dB.JPG

...which is much closer to what you want. It adds a little too much energy to the mid-bass, so you probably want to drop it down to 70 Hz, which gives you this result:
LS Fc 70 Hz Gain 7 dB.JPG

Filter: ON LS Fc 70 Hz Gain 7 dB

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I didn't see a single thread with all of the measurements like the DAC measurement image with all of the data.

That's because, even more so than amps or DACs, individual headphones can't really be ranked with a simple, dumb metric as the on-head response of the sample you own may more or less differ from how they measured on a test rig for various reasons.
For example, the K371 scores pretty well without EQ, but that score is utterly meaningless if you struggle to get a good seal with it (which is not an uncommon problem with that design).
That score originated from Harman's research on FR targets, but while it was used as a statistical exercise in the published paper it's unfortunately been excessively used to judge individual headphones, which IMO isn't a particularly good idea.

Since you're ready to EQ, the score is even less important than how EQable a pair of headphones is, which is not the same thing. IMO important factors are :

- few high-Q peaks or nulls, particularly of the uncorrectable kind (highly asymmetrical shape, etc.)
- since that's often the part of the spectrum that's the most inaccurately measured, which differs the most between individuals, and that is the hardest to EQ, trebles that you already find quite enjoyable.
- good channel matching, including good on-head channel matching (your head is not symmetrical)
- low enough non-linear distortion (doesn't have to be the best)
- the design ensures that most people will experience the level of seal it was designed for
- stable on-head FR with low positional variation
- stable FR over time : the pads don't deteriorate too quickly, or don't change the FR too much during use (foam warming up)
- long term availability of pads / parts : you're likely to fine-tune the profile over time and will have to do it all again if you can't find replacement pads for it
- low sample variation (particularly if you're going to use profiles from measurements done with other samples on an ear simulator).

The HD800S you already own check quite a few of these points unless I'm mistaken. I'd spend more time fiddling with EQing it for now unless there are other reasons you'd be yearning for something else (you don't like the comfort, you realise you want a closed back, etc.) or you eventually find out that they don't work for you as a platform for EQing.

GaryH

Major Contributor
The score for the HD800S is increased to 100 with Oratory's EQ. As for stock response, there are plenty of headphones that score better without EQ than the HD800S, see the ranking list I posted above.

Last edited:
OP
Q

QuantumKat

The score for the HD800S is increased to 100 with Oratory's EQ. As for stock response, there are plenty of headphones that score better without EQ than the HD800, see the ranking list I posted above.
I tried to enter oratory manually into Peace. I'm noticing that the gain values keep rounding up or down so they aren't precisely the same. Do you happen to use Peace? Any advice.

Thanks! (Still learning)

K4zEnTc.png

GaryH

Major Contributor
I tried to enter oratory manually into Peace. I'm noticing that the gain values keep rounding up or down so they aren't precisely the same. Do you happen to use Peace? Any advice.

Thanks! (Still learning)

K4zEnTc.png
The gain is snapping to the nearest 0.5 dB. To change that go into Peace's settings, to the 'Sizes and Amounts settings' tab, then change the value next to 'Snap to dB gain' to 0.1 dB. And after you've entered in the filters for an EQ, you can check they're right by clicking the little green curve just under the 'Effects' button and making sure it matches with the 'EQ curve total' on Oratory's pdf.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks! (Still learning)

K4zEnTc.png
There is a setting in peace for how precise the decimals are.

Top Bottom