• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Current InnerFidelity is not InnerFidelity at all

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Please document, bring examples. Otherwise this is just a rant.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When I say I miss my old cat do I need to bring examples or documented stuff ?

I do think InnerFidelity is not the same any more. Looks more like Stereophile and Audiostream (not surprisingly) but dedicated to headphone related stuff.
Maybe when, in the future, new measurements appear (hopefully with a better compensation) the site may become interesting for me again.

Progress isn't necessarily an improvement.

Last edited:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
When I say I miss my old cat do I need to bring examples or documented stuff ?

I do think InnerFidelity is not the same any more. Looks more like Stereophile (not surprisingly) but dedicated to headphone related stuff.
Maybe when, in the future, new measurements appear (hopefully with a better compensation) the site may become interesting for me again.

Progress isn't always necessarily an improvement.

This is one example to illustrate how one may build up an argument that «everything was better in the old days»:

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RR-STEREOPHILE.html

One may agree or disagree with that author, but he makes a thorough case.

Internet is full of rants. Taking the time to build up an argument could add value.

Grave

I liked Tyll's measurements, but everything he wrote was nonsense.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have somebody who has played such a prominent role in any organization or publication or website then it is all but inevitable that when they leave there will be a period of adjustment which not everybody will like. I liked Tyll, even if I disagreed with him on many things he had a sense of perspective in not getting into that mindset of just gushing over expensive gear, expensive cables etc and he did do good reviews of the more prosaic entry level equipment in a way which didn't patronise those who buy cheaper gear. In the world of hifi reviewers I think those attributes are worthy of respect.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If you think the new Inner Fidelity sucks, start a better one.

I'm not being flippant:

Reviewing headphones, with measurements, may be one of the lowest barriers to entry for objective reviewers in all of audio.

Get a dummy headphone rig with microphones inside. Hook it up to a laptop to measure the output using whatever software-based signal generator you want. Done.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Started mine 5 years ago ... ;)

Maybe just wait till the new measurement guy with the expensive test gear starts churning out measurements.

Wombat

Master Contributor
If you think the new Inner Fidelity sucks, start a better one.

I'm not being flippant:

Reviewing headphones, with measurements, may be one of the lowest barriers to entry for objective reviewers in all of audio.

Get a dummy headphone rig with microphones inside. Hook it up to a laptop to measure the output using whatever software-based signal generator you want. Done.

Where do you get a 'universal ear' for listening reviews?o_O

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Where do you get a 'universal ear' for listening reviews?o_O

There were lots of times where I did not (completely) agree with Tyll's 'universal ear'.
This would make his ear less 'universal' as I can't be the only one :rolleyes:.

I did like the guy and the old InnerFidelity though.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
People like to read folks listening impressions, they like to be told what to hear and in doing so have their own impressions validated and their mechanism of gaining ‘knowledge’ and effort free opinion certified.

It’s like a ignorance factory and you get cake at the end, what’s not to like .

Oh, it’s all bullshit,, well there is that.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In a way the hifi magazines and review websites are a microcosm for a much wider (and more serious) issue of confirmation bias in society. People like to read news that they agree with and which validates their own opinions. The newspapers all have their own constituency which they look after, the better ones do (at least try to) separate news from op-ed articles but then again a lot of readers only really seem to notice the op-ed columns. TV news isn't much better. This site is one of the exceptions in taking a very objective approach and with excellent measured data, unfortunately few magazines are like this site.

So people tend to respect and take seriously hifi reviewers that offer views they tend to agree with and see reasons why reviewers with alternative views shouldn't be taken seriously. And I'm certainly not excluding myself from these tendencies as I think anybody who considers themselves to be free of some degree of confirmation bias is probably delusional. I'm a cycling enthusiast and cycling magazines are no better than hifi magazines, being full of subjective nonsense and florid prose to describe really rather prosaic things and with the same symbiotic relationship between magazines and suppliers. Car magazines like to be the same but they're held slightly in check by the fact that they are expected to include objective data, and that data is generally comprehensible to the vast majority of their readers so that if a car reviewer tried to claim that some hideously fuel thirsty yet slothful catastrophe was better than alternatives based on their own subjective preferences they'd face the sort of derision that hifi and cycling reviewers don't.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There are thousands of headphone models and brands. Consumers are not served well if there is no reliable method to weed out at least X% of them. We need to work toward a solution on this.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Solution> Try before you buy. :facepalm:

admin

Site Owner/Administrator
Staff Member
Where? One would be lucky to have local access to .01% of what is available.

Top Bottom