• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Current Draw of a Subwoofer

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone measured this?

I'm curious what the max. amps might be for home use.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anyone measured this?

I'm curious what the max. amps might be for home use.
To much missing info. Every subwoofer with built in plate amp should have the max listed. So depending on the sub and power each will be different. If being powered by a separate amp, just use the listing on the separate amp.

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
don't have one to read, but am interested in typical numbers not a max. limit

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

We need more to have an idea. Size of room, level at which you usually play and most important what brand and model.
I am quasi-off grid. Not by desire but circumstances. We rarely get 6 hours of commercial electrical power day. I use a combination of solar + batteries and Diesel Generator for my power need. The Diesel generator is used for the Air Conditioners units or when the batteries run low in charge. I am switching soon to high efficiency AC units that will allow me to cool off during the day from solar only (and of course more panels but the price of panels has been plummeting so ...)
Power consumption is thus important for me and I have measured my current draws. On the average I use about 80 watts for the entire 2-channel system (Denon AVR -X-3400H, 2 JBL LSR 308, 2 Dayton SUB-1500and a miniDSP 2x4 HD)when playing music loud even with bass heavy tracks. In HT mode with seven channels (3 LSR 308 +, 2 LSR 305 + 2 Atmos speakers powered by the AVR-3400 amplifiers, + the 2 USB-1500) for movies it jumps to 320 watts most of the increase, courtesy of the front projector which , on "eco" mode, gobbles 200 watts by its lonesome :(
My pair of Dayton Audio SUB-1500 have each a Class D amplifier capable of providing 150 watts or so Dayton says. Given Class D usual 80% efficiency, I would place the maximum at 200 watts each, for a total of 400 watts. I have never seen them pulling together more than a total of 70 watts ... I use a very cheap but apparently accurate apparatus bought from Amazon.to measure the power consumption
1627950136656.png

I'll measure in a few days, their total draw and let you know what my 2 subs consume with a bit more precision.

Peace

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Power consumption is thus important for me and I have measured my current draws. On the average I use about 80 watts for the entire 2-channel system (Denon AVR -X-3400H, 2 JBL LSR 308, 2 Dayton SUB-1500and a miniDSP 2x4 HD)when playing music loud even with bass heavy tracks.
That's really not bad at all. If memory serves, my 1997 Onkyo TX-SV636 ProLogic AVR was drawing about 80 W in idle on its own! (I still have the thing but it's really just collecting dust. I've been meaning to replace its protection relays since 2006, that should show how much I'm using it.)

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
just a rough estimate is all I want - is it about 10mA 10A or 1A or 100A?

dc655321

Major Contributor
Assume 85 dBSPL per Watt at 1 meter and 8 Ohms impedance.
That would be sqrt(1W / 8 Ohms) = 0.35A

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 2 Rythmic L12's and haven't blown any fuses yet. However, My wife's hair dryer was blowing fuses regularly until I had her move it to a different outlet.

rgpit

Forum Donor
Not enough info. Kind of like asking how fast can a car go.

Top Bottom