• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Curious why not more reviews of Top Tier Gear (perceived anyway)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So you all are doing listening tests to support the measurements? uncontrolled, unmatched listening
My system offers unmatched listening, thank you very much.

OP
J

JoeStrummer69

No you are not correct. Amir is not just some bloke. His tests do follow some of the standards most especially his speaker testing. If you understand something about the testing it is well considered and revealing. His speaker and electronic testing uses two of the top of the line world standards for his work.
Sorry meant to say Or some bloke not So some bloke.
No offence.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I just asked the question and had my head ripped off. Metaphorically you all are quite tame compared to others.
This site is so glitchy.
Your question was answered within the first 5 replies, you then started poking the nest.
Pull up a chair and absorb information from those who know more than you and help those who do not.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So you all are doing listening tests to support the measurements? uncontrolled, unmatched listening

I do appreciate your answer and not calling me a name or two.
Mostly measurements. Those however were chosen based upon what science knows from using controlled careful listening tests. So I don't know of people here doing a formal test for at what level distortion becomes audible. That has been done by others under controlled conditions so we don't have to. Also if you know all your distortion is say below -120 db then there is no possibility it could ever be heard. There is a gray area between -120 db and possibly -90 db, but it isn't very gray.

However there is value in not doing something the wrong way and generating confusing, confounding or incorrect conclusions. So simply not judging components based upon uncontrolled, unmatched listening is a big plus. That type of component evaluation is very prone to cause false conclusions all over the map. Those are the kinds of methods used most other places in the popular public audio world. It is a situation that reinforces the chances for unconscious bias to lead you away from the truth.

PS-there are members who have put together things you can download and listen to here. Another offering is a program so you can set parameters of distortion and listen for yourself to see when it becomes audible to you. Or on line sites that offer files so you can determine that. Ditto for finding what noise levels you can hear.

OP
J

JoeStrummer69

There aren't industry-wide standards.
Really?
That's not right. So it is the wild west and no ones testing is useful as there are no benchmarks. As big as this industry is....that is nuts.
Well did a little research and you appear to be wrong there are standards out there. I am sure that testing is done to these standards.
So thanks for the help.
https://www.aes.org/standards/
https://www.klippel.de/know-how/literature/standards.html
https://www.aes.org/publications/standards/list.cfm
https://www.tuvsud.com/en-gb/industries/consumer-products-and-retail/audio-visual-and-it-equipment

OP
J

JoeStrummer69

Your question was answered within the first 5 replies, you then started poking the nest.
Pull up a chair and absorb information from those who know more then you and help those who do not.
Sure Jay. Thanks. Guess asking questions is tipping the cart.

I have to run some Tribology test now so we can pick up this enlightening conversation later.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Really?
That's not right. So it is the wild west and no ones testing is useful as there are no benchmarks. As big as this industry is....that is nuts.
Well did a little research and you appear to be wrong there are standards out there. I am sure that testing is done to these standards.
So thanks for the help.
https://www.aes.org/standards/
https://www.klippel.de/know-how/literature/standards.html
https://www.aes.org/publications/standards/list.cfm
https://www.tuvsud.com/en-gb/industries/consumer-products-and-retail/audio-visual-and-it-equipment
How many manufacturers publish their measurements under those standards?

OP
J

JoeStrummer69

If you want something tested, contact Amir to send it in for him to put on the bench. It's that simple.
There are a lot of review sites run by salesmen who've dropped out of the retail business. Unfortunately Amir isn't a salesman, and his reviews aren't sales pitches, so he seldom gets sent gear direct from the manufacturer.
Not doing that, not sending a piece of equipment with no guarantees that it comes back in one piece, or even gets there.
I always wonder what meds they were taking when they named that )
Good ones for sure.

OP
J

JoeStrummer69

How many manufacturers publish their measurements under those standards?
So that is the answer to asking about a standard. I am not questioning OE testing, I am asking about validating testing at this site in comparison to other review sites.
OE published measurements are totally different subject and I would like to know that too!
Mass spectrometer just finished calibration time to play.

Waxx

Major Contributor
Joe, Amir (full name: Amir Majidimehr) is not just a bloke, but a guy with big experience in audio and ICT, and one of the top level on this during his carreer. You can read his resumé here and it's easy to check as he was and still is a high level tech/engineer/manager with a worldwide reputation.

He uses industry standard top level measurement equipment like a Kippel NFS and an Audio Precision APX555 following standard engineering practices in his test, that are standardised and high resolution. That is better than anybody in the bussiness does. And his fundamentalistic testing method is much more telling than anybody else does, on any site or in any magazine.

The perfect device is absolute neutral and transparent, and the test is objective as the site does not take advertisments from the bussiness, only gifts from members who are not asociated with any company in the bussiness. And a big part of this is paid from his own money, as Amir is not poor at all. This site is not a bussiness that needs to make profit like most review sites, it's a hobby of a rich guy, but a guy who takes his hobby as serious as he took his bussiness serious.

It's not because absolute transparancy and neutral sound is the standard here, that you need to like it, but it's the point to what is measured. And out of the results you can deduct a lot more than out of the paid advertisments of Stereophile, TAS and so on, even if you like colouring by harmonic distortion ao effects like me.

OP
J

JoeStrummer69

Joe, Amir (full name: Amir Majidimehr) is not just a bloke, but a guy with big experience in audio and ICT, and one of the top level on this during his carreer. You can read his resumé here and it's easy to check as he was and still is a high level tech/engineer/manager with a worldwide reputation.

He uses industry standard top level measurement equipment like a Kippel NFS and an Audio Precision APX555 following standard engineering practices in his test, that are standardised and high resolution. That is better than anybody in the bussiness does. And his fundamentalistic testing method is much more telling than anybody else does, on any site or in any magazine.

The perfect device is absolute neutral and transparent, and the test is objective as the site does not take advertisments from the bussiness, only gifts from members who are not asociated with any company in the bussiness. And a big part of this is paid from his own money, as Amir is not poor at all. This site is not a bussiness that needs to make profit like most review sites, it's a hobby of a rich guy, but a guy who takes his hobby as serious as he took his bussiness serious.

It's not because absolute transparancy and neutral sound is the standard here, that you need to like it, but it's the point to what is measured. And out of the results you can deduct a lot more than out of the paid advertisments of Stereophile, TAS and so on, even if you like colouring by harmonic distortion ao effects like me.
THANK YOU.
Now was that so hard?
You all just call people names and accuse them of trolling.
I may not be your prototypical member but so what.
I will decide if this is the right place for me.
Also Waxx you need to work on your spelling. 14 spelling errors.

OP
J

JoeStrummer69

Seems this forum is likely not a good fit for you.
Whether you know it or not, you are trolling. My guess is you know what you are doing...
I will decide that, I only asked questions and you get your pantie's in a wad.

Yes I know I am asking questions that are making you uncomfortable.

OP
J

JoeStrummer69

So will this community, like it or not.
Community, LOL More like a cult.
Funny we have not booted Amir from Audiogon yet nor has it been threatened.
And he was bragging how you all are so tolerant and you can ask questions and espouse your opinions on matters of audio.
Guess that is not true.

Keep up the good work and making new members feel welcome.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Community, LOL More like a cult.
Funny we have not booted Amir from Audiogon yet nor has it been threatened.
And he was bragging how you all are so tolerant and you can ask questions and espouse your opinions on matters of audio.
Guess that is not true.

Keep up the good work and making new members feel welcome.
If you post passive-agressive content, expect passive-agressive responses.

Top Bottom