• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Curious to know your ROON hardware

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The Odroid H2+ I linked to above runs Roon Core very nicely and has 10W TDP. I have no qualms about leaving it on 24/7.
Oh dont get me wrong, Im not anal about this. I also use RPi as Roon endpoints and leave them switched on - its a PITA to try and dive behind a cabinet to get to the power for that, but when its easy and no hardship to switch something off I will.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Asustor NAS running Roon Core
SOtM SMS-200 Roon endpoint
Conrad Johnson HD3 DAC
iPad Pro and iPhone 8 Plus running Roon iOS apps

Also, running a Nest Wifi mesh unit, Netgear switch, and Monoprice CAT 6a cable.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read in their forum, someone from ROON-labs wrote that the lifetime-purchase is not a long term finacial solution for the company. Someday they will move to annual price only. Gradually rising the price for lifetime I guess, untill very few will be ready to pay for it.
I got my Lifetime during one of their sales.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh dont get me wrong, Im not anal about this. I also use RPi as Roon endpoints and leave them switched on - its a PITA to try and dive behind a cabinet to get to the power for that, but when its easy and no hardship to switch something off I will.

I was mainly advocating not getting some energy-hog PC, ridiculously over-specced for the task at hand. If an SBC, which uses only a Watt or two at idle, will do the job, then you can be guilt-free leaving it on.

Roon does do a bunch of background updating of the metadata in its database; so there are advantages to leaving it running, even when you're not playing music.

doctorjuggles

HP Gen8 Microserver with 1240v2 Xeon chip, 8gb RAM, headless/core only and with SSD for the database. It serves 6 zones and the only problems I've ever had are with a pair of Bluesound Flex 2i when I use them wirelessly (I had to buy homeplugs - the fault lies 100% with Bluesound, their wireless implementation is garbage)

An i7 with 8gb RAM will be fine unless you're running loads of zones

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But, isn't the point of a system like ROON to have it available at any time, not having to wait to boot computer and all that?
A PC should wake from sleep in a few seconds, and you can wake them using WOL, so if I don't think I'm going to use mine for hours it's put to sleep. Not having WOL built into the Roon apps is a weird omission, my foobar app used to do this.

JRiggs

Gigabit internet, ASUS RT-AX89x router, Mac mini - 6 core i7, 32gb and 1tb. Never any hiccups.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I don't. When evaluating Roon I set the core server up on my aging HP N54L server running OMV streaming to my NAD C658. Everything worked fine as such but I did not subscribe. I found Roon to be massively overrated and completely unneccessary. For the price they charge it's bordering on scammy for a glorified Allmusic scraper. Deserves the money-grabbing panther IMO.
So how do you really feel? lol I also gave it a try, was not interested in the "metadata" but did want to maximize SQ and maybe some EQ. I only stream, no stored library so overall it just didn't offer enough for me to keep paying the bill.

flyzipper

NUC6i7KYK with 8GB RAM, which is my Windows 10 general purpose PC.
Media library is hosted by Google, via their Google Drive File Stream.
Simple setup, sharing tech I already had.

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
A PC should wake from sleep in a few seconds, and you can wake them using WOL, so if I don't think I'm going to use mine for hours it's put to sleep. Not having WOL built into the Roon apps is a weird omission, my foobar app used to do this.

Well thought, didn't remind of WOL, I notice I am just projecting my tendency to have a low power device running 24x7 and forget about it, but WOL and shutdown on demand are as valid ;)

samsa

Well thought, didn't remind of WOL, I notice I am just projecting my tendency to have a low power device running 24x7 and forget about it, but WOL and shutdown on demand are as valid ;)

WOL is a function of the kernel (assuming the BIOS and NIC hardware support it), not of some userland application. Under Linux, see the wol option to ethtool.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Reviving an old(ish) thread but very excited to receive my new fanless PC today.

s-l1600.jpg
I needed a new PC (undemanding office work, browsing etc.) as my current one is being requisitioned for lockdown schooling. Decided to get get a fanless one so that it can double up as a Roon Core. I do use DSP, but not DSD (obviously!).

Works an absolute treat for both Roon and office work.16GB RAM and 512GB NVMe drive.

JRiggs

Gigabit internet, ASUS RT-AX89x router, Mac mini - 6 core i7, 32gb and 1tb. Never any hiccups.

Made some changes recently as the ASUS was getting to be very buggy. Constant reboots throughout the day. While I was changing out the router, I also went ahead and picked up a NUC. Went a bit overboard but I don't have any issues now. : )

New system is:

UDM-Pro
US-8-150w
UAP-AC-HD

NUC8i7BEH
Samsung 32gb DDR4 memory
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III
Samsung T7 1TB External SSD for back ups

Cambridge CXNv2

Pennyless Audiophile

Reviving an old(ish) thread but very excited to receive my new fanless PC today.

View attachment 104152
I needed a new PC (undemanding office work, browsing etc.) as my current one is being requisitioned for lockdown schooling. Decided to get get a fanless one so that it can double up as a Roon Core. I do use DSP, but not DSD (obviously!).

Works an absolute treat for both Roon and office work.16GB RAM and 512GB NVMe drive.
I have had one of those for 3 years now and it is brilliant under any aspect. One of the best investments you could do. (and no, I am not selling them!)

win

Anyone else sick of Roon just randomly crashing? Constant crashes on my iPad. Not Roon's fault, but Windows also wants to update my desktop every 2 days, those updates eventually become compulsory, and then bye bye goes my Roon core. Ugh. Maybe I'll go dedicated hardware, but their prices are highway robbery for what you're getting (a dumbed down NUC).

GDK

Forum Donor
Anyone else sick of Roon just randomly crashing? Constant crashes on my iPad. Not Roon's fault, but Windows also wants to update my desktop every 2 days, those updates eventually become compulsory, and then bye bye goes my Roon core. Ugh. Maybe I'll go dedicated hardware, but their prices are highway robbery for what you're getting (a dumbed down NUC).
I haven’t had any recent issues, but I agree that a dedicated core is the way to go. Last year I picked up a 2009 Mac Mini for next to nothing for that purpose and have had no issues with it. Plus, it is so old it never updates...

EDIT: Apologies, I just realized that I am repeating myself in this thread...:facepalm:

Last edited:

JRiggs

Made some changes recently as the ASUS was getting to be very buggy. Constant reboots throughout the day. While I was changing out the router, I also went ahead and picked up a NUC. Went a bit overboard but I don't have any issues now. : )

New system is:

UDM-Pro
US-8-150w
UAP-AC-HD

NUC8i7BEH
Samsung 32gb DDR4 memory
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III
Samsung T7 1TB External SSD for back ups

Cambridge CXNv2

Changed out the Cambridge for the Matrix Audio mini-iPro 3.

JRiggs

What does your set up consist of? No dedicated Core? Setting up a NUC with ROCK is not too difficult and can be very affordable.

Top Bottom