• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Curious to know your ROON hardware

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
32 core xeon 16 Gig ram, system and Roon app on ssd, 7 Tb mech storage. :)

I have run Roon on low power nas and laptops without issue. Just recommend an SSD for the database as this will make it more spritely.

What are the other 31 cores for?

win

This is mine: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/amirs-music-server-build-thread.415/

Worked great until a few weeks ago. Now Roon quits on its own every day. :(

are all of your endpoints on the same network? I recently ran into a similar issue, and ended up fixing it by moving my mesh routers upstream of where I had my Ethernet switch. So modem/router -> google mesh WiFi Hub -> Ethernet switch. (Instead of using the mesh as a wireless access point)

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Is there another bit of software that allows me to integrate a streaming library and local/ networked files pretty seamlessly, decent EQ and multi zone playback?

There probably isn't a single purely software based solution comparable to Roon. JRiver comes closest perhaps although the UI is admittedly pretty fugly. Many people seem happy with Plex although I don't have any experience with that.

As noted previously I have the NAD C658 running BluOS which does a decent enough job for local content and (on the rare occasion I listen to) web radio. When evaluating Roon I was also subscribed to Tidal which I have also since dropped. Spotify's library and discovery features are far better and sound quality is indistinguishable to my ears. Thus Spotify is the only streaming service I subscribe to and, since it doesn't integrate into any 3rd party services there is even less point in Roon. I don't have need of multizone so can't help you there.

Any of the little SBC based streaming boxes (Rpi, Odroid, etc.) running Moode or Volumio do as good a job for local and streamed content and have useable interfaces. They can all run Spotify connect as well.

For many years my primary 'media center' was OpecElec/LibreElec on an Odroid C2 and more recently OSMC on Vero4K which are all Kodi (formally XBMC) based. Kodi is primarily used for locally hosted movie playback but is perfectly fine for music too and has excellent library tools, phone/tablet apps etc.

EQ is more tricky on Linux based devices. For my 'headphone rig' I'm using Brutefir in Volumio which, once you get it set up, works fine but is admittedly a bit wobbly. Moode is more limited with only a four band parametric EQ. For my speaker setup I have Dirac on the C658.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
What are the other 31 cores for?
3d CAD, video editing/conversion, acourate convolution and right now flac to AAC conversion. Several days comes down to several hours :)

1602054383523.png

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
- Intel i7 9700K OC (Roon works perfectly with integrated graphics only)
- RTX 2080 Super (3080 on the way, if this card even exists...:rolleyes:)
- 32GB @3600Mhz
- 2TB Nvme drive

But, do you have this beast running 24x7? Wouldn't it be better something more "server like"? Low power consumption to leave it on all day? To me that looks much more like a gaming rig or something for graphic design or the likes.

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
32 core xeon 16 Gig ram, system and Roon app on ssd, 7 Tb mech storage. :)

I have run Roon on low power nas and laptops without issue. Just recommend an SSD for the database as this will make it more spritely.

At first I thought the first line was just joking but later in the thread I see you are serious, same question, do you have this running 24x7?

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
The OP already has a streamer he's happy with. He's looking for a machine to run Roon Core on.

quite happy indeed, thanks :D

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor

astr0b0y

In all honesty, that sounds like exactly what a shill would say to get a customer in the market to open their wallet wide....today. They absolutely want your $700 today more than they want my hazy desire to renew for $120 in 5 months time. With an even hazier thought to renew again in 17 months.
Absolutely agree. I bought lifetime 5 years ago which was a big decision then (most I’ve ever paid for software) but at this point I’m starting to feel like I’m getting better value for my money. I wouldn‘t buy again today though.

Mac mini 2011 i5 with upgraded SSD for system/software and external USB drive for storage.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
At first I thought the first line was just joking but later in the thread I see you are serious, same question, do you have this running 24x7?
Hi

Yes its for real :) You can pick up these sort of computers very cheap on ebay. No I dont leave it on 24/7, goes off overnight. It actually only uses about 100 watts in "normal" use

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
3d CAD, video editing/conversion, acourate convolution and right now flac to AAC conversion. Several days comes down to several hours :)

View attachment 86559

Other attorneys don't understand why I use Xeons, SSD's and lots of ram. Three letters OCR. I can OCR 30,000 pages overnight instead of days. With how things are, next system will be AMD based.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone remind me of any advantages Roon provides? I looked into it when I got my Oppo but couldn't see any value particularly for the high fees....I just don't get it.

[QUOTE = "Chrispy, post: 535474, member: 13120"] Qualcuno può ricordarmi dei vantaggi offerti da Roon? Ho esaminato quando ho preso il mio Oppo ma non sono riuscito a vedere alcun valore in particolare per le commissioni elevate ... Non lo capisco. [/ QUOTE]

l'hai provato? for me Roon is great

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Can someone remind me of any advantages Roon provides? I looked into it when I got my Oppo but couldn't see any value particularly for the high fees....I just don't get it.

If you want to stream music to different systems (end-points) in your house, with each end-point having the option to use a separate DAC etc, and do this easily, then a no-hassle option is Roon. Control is provided via an app on a mobile devic, iPad etc, with the user interface giving you album-like info about the artist/album with live links.

For me, the tipping point was the nice album-like user interface. Even my wife got curious and lamented that her Apple music interface looked quite boring in comparison.

The second tipping point was the Roon Bridge feature.

Last edited:
OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Hi

Yes its for real :) You can pick up these sort of computers very cheap on ebay. No I dont leave it on 24/7, goes off overnight. It actually only uses about 100 watts in "normal" use

But, isn't the point of a system like ROON to have it available at any time, not having to wait to boot computer and all that?

win

But, isn't the point of a system like ROON to have it available at any time, not having to wait to boot computer and all that?

cant speak for him, but I also have a high end system like that (9900k rtx2080 watercooled). The power supplies they run are very efficient, mine is 'titanium' rated meaning 90% efficient.
I simply leave my pc on all the time. Having Roon core running while I use the pc is not an issue. I also have media storage on the same PC so Roon has direct access to that as well.

but that's me.. I don't like to ever turn any of my electronics off if I can help it.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
cant speak for him, but I also have a high end system like that (9900k rtx2080 watercooled). The power supplies they run are very efficient, mine is 'titanium' rated meaning 90% efficient.
I simply leave my pc on all the time. Having Roon core running while I use the pc is not an issue. I also have media storage on the same PC so Roon has direct access to that as well.

but that's me.. I don't like to ever turn any of my electronics off if I can help it.

You can have 90% "efficiency" and still be consuming 1MWatt ;)

A 9900K CPU has a TDP of 95 watts. The graphics card will use about 15 watts at idle but up to 265 watts depending what its doing. So I suspect that with the motherboard, drives, fans etc like my PC it will be using about 100 watts just sat there doing nothing.

Leaving electronics on just unnecessarily uses up the life of the electrolytic capacitors and costs money in electricity bills.

Last edited:

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A 9900K CPU has a TDP of 95 watts. The graphics card will use about 15 watts at idle but up to 265 watts depending what its doing. So I suspect that with the motherboard, drives, fans etc like my PC it will be using about 100 watts just sat there doing nothing.

Leaving electronics on just unnecessarily uses up the life of the electrolytic capacitors and costs money in electricity bills.

The Odroid H2+ I linked to above runs Roon Core very nicely and has 10W TDP. I have no qualms about leaving it on 24/7.

Top Bottom