• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Curious to know your ROON hardware

win

What does your set up consist of? No dedicated Core? Setting up a NUC with ROCK is not too difficult and can be very affordable.

I have my core on my gaming PC. It has more horsepower than Roon could ever need. The problem is Windows likes to restart my computer. So I don't fault Roon for that one! I fault Roon for my iPad app crashing all the time though :)

JRiggs

So move it to a NUC install ROCK and problem solved.

Reactions: win
OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Reviving an old(ish) thread but very excited to receive my new fanless PC today.

View attachment 104152
I needed a new PC (undemanding office work, browsing etc.) as my current one is being requisitioned for lockdown schooling. Decided to get get a fanless one so that it can double up as a Roon Core. I do use DSP, but not DSD (obviously!).

Works an absolute treat for both Roon and office work.16GB RAM and 512GB NVMe drive.

Does it get hot? Can you try setting DSP a little? Speaker Distance, a few hq bands, headroom , play music for a while and see how it gets? I may be interested in getting one too.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does it get hot? Can you try setting DSP a little? Speaker Distance, a few hq bands, headroom , play music for a while and see how it gets? I may be interested in getting one too.
It never gets hot. I periodically monitor CPU temperature and it's always acceptable. I use DSP (10 band PEQ, headroom adjustment, volume levelling) and regularly stream 96/24 Qobuz albums.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone recommend a NUC to run Rock on to use as my Roon core? I'm looking for simplicity. Roon recommends the NUC10i3FNH for small/medium libraries. Looks like that's about $350 on Newegg, then need to add memory and SSD. Anyone have a recommendation...there are too many choices for me to process. Seems like most people are happy with NUC and Roon together and I'm definitely not going into a DIY project.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Can anyone recommend a NUC to run Rock on to use as my Roon core? I'm looking for simplicity. Roon recommends the NUC10i3FNH for small/medium libraries. Looks like that's about $350 on Newegg, then need to add memory and SSD. Anyone have a recommendation...there are too many choices for me to process. Seems like most people are happy with NUC and Roon together and I'm definitely not going into a DIY project.
The configuration on my now withdrawn “NUC for sale” post is still a supported build and runs flawlessly:

Intel NUC 8 (NUC8i5BEH) - Core i5, Tall
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB
Corsair Memory Kit 16GB (2x8GB)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Instead of using a NUC, I kill two birds with one stone and run Roon Server on the same Asustor NAS that I use for music/media storage. Works great.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2016 Thinkpad Laptop in garage w/ i7 Win 10 runs or contains control software for Solidworks CAD, structured wire sys. (home automation; intercom, lighting and security, weather station), Tesla solar panels/Powerwall whole-house backup, Roon, Ubiquiti LAN/AP and meshed wifi network and system backup NAS with raid. Rarely any problems. Like having a battery on board (laptop) because it's on the same circuit as my 5 hp table saw which on occasion trips the breaker. Consider a battery backup APC when configuring.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The configuration on my now withdrawn “NUC for sale” post is still a supported build and runs flawlessly:

Intel NUC 8 (NUC8i5BEH) - Core i5, Tall
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB
Corsair Memory Kit 16GB (2x8GB)
Thanks! The NUC you list seems to be discontinued. Any thoughts on these three items together? Total Price: $460 @ 16GB ram and 500 SSD.

The i5 jumps to $430 from the i3 $318

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not sure there’s much danger, but I’d stick with the model line that Roon has tested ROCK with.

Mine was an i7, with Samsung memory and Corsair RAM, as above. The only fiddle thing is the part where you change some of the BIOS settings in the NUC, but it’s easy enough if you follow the instructions and remember that the BIOS menus may vary a little bit.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not sure there’s much danger, but I’d stick with the model line that Roon has tested ROCK with.

Mine was an i7, with Samsung memory and Corsair RAM, as above. The only fiddle thing is the part where you change some of the BIOS settings in the NUC, but it’s easy enough if you follow the instructions and remember that the BIOS menus may vary a little bit.

Yeah, those are the models that I'm looking at on those links

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thanks! The NUC you list seems to be discontinued. Any thoughts on these three items together? Total Price: $460 @ 16GB ram and 500 SSD.

The i5 jumps to $430 from the i3 $318
That seems good. The i3 should be OK unless you have a large library (I think Roon says >12,000 albums) or plan to use DSP, then you might want the upgraded processor. I only stream, but use PEQ and the i5 has been great.

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Appreciate the feedback. If I send the signal to my Denon x3700h via HDMI then I retain my Audesey XT32 DSP correct?

mrbungle

You don’t need a 500GB SSD with ROCK. You can’t put your music library on the startup disk. Mine says 97% of 114GB available. Roughly 10,000 tracks.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I go NUC, my latest understanding is that I need an Ethernet connection to the NUC, then hard wire connection to the endpoints for best sound? Is that accurate? Since my router in another room that means Airplay or Apple TV for me for wireless to my Denon 3700. Otherwise would have to add more hardware at endpoint like RPI? Sigh...

mrbungle

Ethernet to NUC, but endpoints work fine on a reasonably stable WiFi. I like having the RPis connected to the DACs, it just works. The 1Gb version is 35 bucks, the great Flirc case 15.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I go NUC, my latest understanding is that I need an Ethernet connection to the NUC, then hard wire connection to the endpoints for best sound? Is that accurate? Since my router in another room that means Airplay or Apple TV for me for wireless to my Denon 3700. Otherwise would have to add more hardware at endpoint like RPI? Sigh...
You could get a wifi card for the NUC, but i think it makes sense to try to wire the Roon Server.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ethernet to NUC, but endpoints work fine on a reasonably stable WiFi. I like having the RPis connected to the DACs, it just works. The 1Gb version is 35 bucks, the great Flirc case 15.
Raspberry pi 4 out of stock everywhere

Top Bottom