• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cultural appropriation in music

OP
Cosmik

Cosmik

Major Contributor

Just dropping this one in as a barometer. Is there anyone here who is offended by it? I think it has an implicit suggestion that its creators and therefore we viewers come from a culture that is more sophisticated than the subject matter; 'above' the devout following of religion.

And the piece starts (not in this clip unfortunately) with the caption 'The Third World... Yorkshire'.

Last edited:

Guermantes

Or why not be bold enough to write a unique score that represents what's being talked about without even trying to make it 'local colour'.

Yes, this would be my opinion, too.

Guermantes

Any views, particularly the first few seconds?

I have to say I was never a fan but listening to it now that riff does make me cringe a little. It was used in "Kung Fu Fighting" too. Wikipedia says the riff dates from 1847 and is an Orientalism. Whether it has an actual Asian musical origin doesn't seem to be known.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_riff

I'm a big fan of Peter Gabriel who has a history of collaborating with musicians from other cultures and I believe he has done a lot to promote and encourage respectful cross-cultural exchange through his Real World label, etc. In the late '80s his album So was on high rotation in my personal playlist. Years later I played the album to my wife and when Sledgehammer came on she commented that she had heard the song before and that the opening shakuhachi sample sounded comically cliched to her (she is Japanese) like something out of a daytime TV drama or a gameshow sound effect. She wasn't offended by it but she didn't think it was artistically interesting, just comical.

Perhaps I should play the Vapors' song to her and see what she thinks.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

OP
Cosmik

Cosmik

Major Contributor
The highly virtuous Bill Bailey did this as recently as 2015.
In the past, such a cultural cross-reference would have been seen as virtuous, but in the context of this thread...

OP
Cosmik

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Try not to spit your tea out...

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I was thinking, as inequality increases in Western countries (it’s mostly here we discuss such issues as cultural appropriation?), could issues like «cultural appropriation» be regarded as a way to make people feel better in the aftermath of a hopeless, debt ridden financial future?

So in order to avoid the relevant issues in society, let’s replace any intelligent debate with nonsensical discussions that keep people busy and let them feel important on their quest to liberate the «socioeconomically disadvantaged» (and in the process making them blind for the fact that Western societies produce future generation of «disadvantageds» due to unresolved challenges like debt).

Do the sheep of «Animal farm» come to your mind?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So in order to avoid the relevant issues in society, let’s replace any intelligent debate with nonsensical discussions that keep people busy and let them feel important on their quest to liberate the «socioeconomically disadvantaged» (and in the process making them blind for the fact that Western societies produce future generation of «disadvantageds» due to unresolved challenges like debt).
A bit like audiophiles obsessing about DACs, MQA, Hires, cables etc, and almost ignoring speakers and rooms where real gains are to be made.
Were going to build a bikeshed, and it's going to be the best bikeshed in the world....

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
A bit like audiophiles obsessing about DACs, MQA, Hires, cables etc, and almost ignoring speakers and rooms where real gains are to be made.
Were going to build a bikeshed, and it's going to be the best bikeshed in the world....

Yes.

It was @Wombat who reminded us on the law of triviality. In the hands of bad people, this is a powerful tool to keep status quo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality

OP
Cosmik

Cosmik

Major Contributor
:)

Top Bottom