• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CSS Audio Criton 1TD-X Build Log

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Yup, small router with a flush trim bit, followed by some light sanding. I also have a veneer saw, which I am using to cut the pieces to rough size before the glue up. That would work to trim after gluing too, but the router is a little easier.

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
These are basically the tools - nothing special:
765B23A1-5D23-4658-9F23-B0A51459C5D2.jpeg

And here is an example of the veneer and cabinet with a thin coat of glue. I have been ironing just after the glue is dry to the touch.
There have been a few small bubbles, but I think that I have been able to flatten them by hitting it with the iron again and increasing the pressure. I guess I will know for sure once I start to finish.

E94B18E1-46E7-47EA-AD2F-4A41DEF51348.jpeg

28F5E328-4671-4C38-BDAA-F605B78FCBC2.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Thanks for the encouragement Jim!

The only thing left to veneer is the baffle.

I think the sides/top turned out well. If I don’t mess up on the baffle these should turn out well!

2F12D06C-244F-4B9A-B370-6305DFF0E06E.jpeg

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
And the baffles have veneer.
Tonight I will probably have nightmares about all the ways I can mess up trimming the driver cut-outs….

CFC5F739-8E0C-44CD-856C-7FD2B5E2B76E.jpeg

flywheel

Your veneer is taking this build to the next level. I am thinking of pulling trigger on these

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Success!! Driver cutouts have been trimmed without any disasters.

The veneer is brittle and I was very worried about cracking/tearing/ripping. As seen in the prior image, I used a razor blade to make pilot holes in the veneer before gluing. I then used a “small pilot flush trim” bit in my router:

0F4DB68D-D9F0-44C0-B5AD-64E7D9B7F6F7.jpeg

And the end result:

F8E67BA4-0DDF-4816-8E8D-BFD50E455A69.jpeg

Next stop, sanding and finishing…

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
1 coat BLO and several light wiped on coats of blonde shellac (zinsser) later:

7DD70EAE-DD5A-447F-968E-E2D40A2158DE.jpeg

I should be able to finish up the exterior of the cabinets tomorrow!

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
Those look fantastic!

Do you use regular wood glue for the iron on method?

Anyone know what to thin shellac with if you can't get denatured alcohol?

PresbyByrd

Forum Donor
Those look fantastic!

Those look fantastic!

Grain alcohol works great (Everclear or something similar). Woodworkers often use that before prohibition.

AudioSQ

So when are you coming out to Houston to veneer mine? Looking slick! Have you put the crossovers together yet?

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Those look fantastic!

I have some info in post 20 about the approach, but yup, it is regular wood glue (Titebond II). I would have preferred HeatLock, but it was sold out.

Some caveats - I did experience minor cracking in 2 panels and I had a few small bubbles. Some adjustment in technique seemed to have solved those issues, but there was some learning curve for me.

Also, you can’t tell in the pictures but the veneer is not totally flat. This is sort of hard to describe, but it has a tightly curled figure. When you rub your fingers over the figure it is a little bit lumpy (you can feel the curls). I could not sand it out (afraid I would sand through the veneer).

It’s not a big deal for me. These will be satin when done and I think they will look good. But, I wanted to note it, as I suspect the ironing process has contributed (lots of moisture changes).

I have never worked with raw veneer before, never worked with a curly wood veneer, and never veneered in any way other than iron-on, but I suspect that things would be more flat and a bit better overall with another technique (ie vacuum press or cold press technique… maybe contact cement but that seems to have mixed reports on the internet). If there is anyone reading with more experience - feel feee to chime in!

I think you have to use alcohol to thin shellac. I actually used everclear (180 proof grain alcohol) rather than denatured alcohol, just like noted by PresbyByrd. I used about equal parts zinsser canned shellac and everclear.

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
So when are you coming out to Houston to veneer mine? Looking slick! Have you put the crossovers together yet?

Well, I built my last set of speakers around 2010, so it might be a while! In one of the pictures you can see the carcass of a dual passive radiator sub that has been “in process” (sitting, ignored in the basement) for about a decade.

Kerry Armes

Hi mtmpenn,

The cabinets look great so far.

Half the reason we use the rabbeted edges is to prevent air leaks. You should not have to caulk around the inside at all, especially with the number of clamps you used.

A couple of tips for your next veneer job - the iron on method doesn't work well with raw wood. Like you found out, without the paper backer the stability is lower and it warps and cracks with the iron. You can minimize this but never prevent it completely. You don't have to have a vacuum press to do cold pressing though. You can actually just use a sheet of MDF or plywood at least a little bigger in each direction than the panel you are applying to. Put the wood glue down, then the veneer, then lay a sheet of wax paper over the veneer. Finally, place the piece of wood over the top and clamp it down. With pieces that don't have a large span in the middle where you would have little force, this can replace the vacuum press and you will get much better results. I just convinced a friend to try the same thing. He had been trying iron on with raw veneer (first time veneering in general) and getting similar results as you. After switching he called me to say he couldn't believe how much better it turned out and if he knew it could work so well and be so easy to get results like that he would have started veneering years ago.

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Hi mtmpenn,

Half the reason we use the rabbeted edges is to prevent air leaks. You should not have to caulk around the inside at all, especially with the number of clamps you used.

A couple of tips for your next veneer job - the iron on method doesn't work well with raw wood. Like you found out, without the paper backer the stability is lower and it warps and cracks with the iron. You can minimize this but never prevent it completely. You don't have to have a vacuum press to do cold pressing though. You can actually just use a sheet of MDF or plywood at least a little bigger in each direction than the panel you are applying to. Put the wood glue down, then the veneer, then lay a sheet of wax paper over the veneer. Finally, place the piece of wood over the top and clamp it down. With pieces that don't have a large span in the middle where you would have little force, this can replace the vacuum press and you will get much better results. I just convinced a friend to try the same thing. He had been trying iron on with raw veneer (first time veneering in general) and getting similar results as you. After switching he called me to say he couldn't believe how much better it turned out and if he knew it could work so well and be so easy to get results like that he would have started veneering years ago.

Thanks Kerry! (For others. Kerry is one of the owners of CSS and was very responsive to me when I emailed with a question about their kits about 9 months ago - took me a while to pull the trigger).

I appreciate the tip. Next time I will definitely try pressing. It seems like with your version you are not bothering with cauls - just clamps? I guess the panels are small so maybe no need? And do you use regular wood glue?

I have not heard them yet, but the kit is fantastic. Packaging/parts quality/attention to detail are all impressive!

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
For context, this picture shows the “texture.”

It is subtle and the cabinets will still look great when done (they will be less glossy ultimately) but next time I will definitely try pressing without the iron.
CCBB2961-5155-4EFA-8896-8B7C808240C0.jpeg

On the plus side though, I think I did a very good job lining up the grain so that it looks like one veneer piece wrapping the cabinet.

ta240

Major Contributor
Thanks for the replies. I tried some 95% Isopropyl for the shellac that seemed to work, hopefully it won't cloud it when it dries. Denatured alcohol isn't available in California anymore.

You did great with lining the grain up on there. I did my first veneer recently but it was with pressure sensitive adhesive on it, so I cheated a bit.

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies. I tried some 95% Isopropyl for the shellac that seemed to work, hopefully it won't cloud it when it dries. Denatured alcohol isn't available in California anymore.

You did great with lining the grain up on there. I did my first veneer recently but it was with pressure sensitive adhesive on it, so I cheated a bit.

No such thing as cheating! But where are the pictures of it?

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Hi mtmpenn,

Hey Kerry - should I line the side walls of the upper portion of the cabinet with foam? Some of the YouTube builds just seem to do the lower portion (near the woofer).
Thanks,
Mike

Top Bottom