• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CSS Audio Criton 1TD-X Build Log

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Hello ASR community!

There don't seem to be many build logs on this site, but I thought I would post one. Hopefully somebody finds it interesting.
This is a kit build, with a flat pack, so it is relatively low complexity in terms of DIY (i.e. I'm not designing anything or even cutting wood). That said, there is still plenty of opportunity for me to mess up, so maybe it will be fun for people!

If anyone sees anything that I am doing wrong or has advice for how to do things better, please let me know.

Background:
1) I have built speakers before, but professional and family obligations have kept me out of the game for a while (last build almost 10 years ago).
2) I consider myself a novice woodworker. I previously invested in some tools and in addition to speakers I have done a few classic beginner projects (i.e. cutting board, bookshelf). The total number of projects completed is low and to make it worse, I haven't touched my tools in 4-5 years (see professional/family obligations noted above).
3) I happen to find myself, happily, with 2 weeks without work. With a lot of time on my hands, I thought to myself - why not get back at it? Hopefully this build log doesn't end half complete with me having disappeared into work/family/other responsibilities, but it is definitely a possibility.
4) My goals, in order: Enjoy the process, learn something, build something that works, build something that looks good, feel proud.

Why the CSS Criton:
1) It fits the form factor I am looking for (6.5" two-way bookshelf - exotic!)
2) Kit looks nice! Flatpack and "smart node" crossover board seem like things that may increase my chance of success.
3) Numerous excellent reviews online
4) CSS owners are DIY types and are active on some of the forums.

Last edited:
OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Okay, lets kick it off...

First, the kit contents. Everything was very nicely packaged and well organized. The woofers and tweeters look to be of high quality.
IMG_2033.jpg

Flatpack 1 prepping for glue up
IMG_2037.jpg

One piece of MDF has a very tiny little ding from packaging/shipping. Considering the damage that UPS can do, this is amazing and I don't think it will even be visible once glued (and if so, I'm sure a bit of wood filler will fix it up).

IMG_2036.jpg

And the first cabinet is glued and clamped!
IMG_2039.jpg

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Looks like fun! I'm envious!

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
First cabinet is out of clamps, second cabinet is in them.
48F57129-660C-4EF2-B2C9-804ABEB6A873.jpeg

xarkkon

Looking forward to the build! How are you thinking of finishing them up?

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
I have some raw veneer that I am hoping to use.

I do not have a press, so I am going to have to experiment with contact cement or iron-on techniques.

I have used iron-on veneer before (but only with paper backed veneer), so I’ll probably try that on some scrap and see how it goes.

I am cautiously optimistic.

AudioSQ

Always happy to see another Criton out in the 'wild'.

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Thanks AudioSQ. I saw your build on another forum and read your review - both definitely helped me decide on this kit!

Today’s update is not very exciting. I sealed the inside of the cabinet with some shellac based sealer, painted the driver recesses black, used a little wood filler, and epoxied in some magnets for the grills that I will theoretically build for them.

The interior paint is definitely not perfect… it’s hard to move a paint brush in there! I figure that this step may not even be necessary, so I tried to make it “good enough.” Don’t judge me too hard.

Also I wonder how people feel about caulking interior seams. I feel like the joints are good, so maybe not necessary, but I might do it anyway…

846A0FE3-7848-4962-9AD5-3B13C34820A5.jpeg

AudioSQ

Since it's CNC cut, the way they do their joints with two touch points, and that you used a fair amount of clamps.. I doubt you have any leaks. I can't remember if I caulked or not. Sometimes I'll take a flashlight to the joints and see if I can see any light leaking out.

You're already going further than most with shellacking the inside though, so if you want to keep with the overkill theme.. it might be worth the peace of mind.

All that said, I didn't use any on my last build. I'm certainly not an expert in speaker building. Mine usually don't come out very well.

eric-c

Forum Donor
Are you planning to send one or both of the speakers to Amir to test? From the CSS website.... We use proven theories and methodologies developed and tested by trusted experts in the field of acoustics like Floyd Toole, Siegfried Linkwitz, and Vance Dickenson....

I was also planning to pick up three kits of the speakers you have for a 5 + 1 spare speaker setup to replace my existing speakers but need to find time to order and make the speakers. If I do go this route, I will probably get their upgraded crossover. Thanks for posting - most interested.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Are you planning to send one or both of the speakers to Amir to test? From the CSS website.... We use proven theories and methodologies developed and tested by trusted experts in the field of acoustics like Floyd Toole, Siegfried Linkwitz, and Vance Dickenson....
Please tell me that their website does NOT refer to Vance Dickason as Vance Dickenson...
:oops:

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
I am not planning to send them in for measurements.

They actually have fairly extensive (though smoothed) measurements on their site of the 1TD (non-x version). I feel like I saw measurements of the x-version somewhere before but do not see them on the site now. My recollection was that they were generally excellent, although the tweeter response was slightly elevated at the very end of the frequency range. I do not intend to toe them in, so I don’t think this will be an issue for me

Last edited:

AudioSQ

Yeah, with DIY you spend a lot of your own time working on the finish so to put it in jeapordy by boxing it up and shipping it out.. I don't blame you. I wouldn't send mine either.

I have the TD and TDX and even with my controls being not so controlled the tweeters measured exactly the same below 10k in my room. Above 10k the TD starts to roll off. That could easily be due to user error or maybe that's why I find the TDX to have a little more detail and sound more 'magical'.. sorry to use a froo froo subjective adjective on ASR.

I hesitate to share this anecdote because it's subjective and has no real value here. I'll share it anyways because hopefully it makes you feel better for spending the extra dollars.

My brother thinks I'm crazy for spending so much on audio and has never thought any of my new speakers have really sounded appreciably better. He was indifferent when he heard the Critons.. then I upgraded to the TDX, it was the first time he was genuinely impressed. He's commented on them again a couple more times when he's been over.

I think he's hoping I stay true to form and buy something else so he can buy these off me on the cheap.

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Ha! To the extent that I have control over this thread, some anecdote/subjectivism is okay by me. Plus, it would be boring if every speaker sounded the same. Within reasonable parameters a little bit of “voicing” should just make things interesting!

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
I had some caulk sitting around in the basement, so I caulked them. Did a bit more wood filler, sanded with 60 and then 80 grit, and I think they are good enough to move on to veneering.
64F0BFE4-0E2B-47D9-BCB2-E6EF845E4B8D.jpeg

The veneer arrived yesterday, and it is very pretty. I very much hope that I don’t mess it up.

Last edited:

eric-c

Forum Donor
I am not planning to send them in for measurements.

If I ever get to my builds (at least a year away if ever), I am going to ask if ASR would consider testing a speaker. The kits come in pairs and I would need only 5 so I do not mind shipping the spare. As you mentioned the measurements on the CSS site do look good.

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
The iron-on approach was seemingly successful on a small test piece!

Hopefully it will scale to the larger panels on the speaker itself, but at least from what I can tell it is attached and did not split:
F05AE20D-7325-4A5C-8F8D-E103AF1BD727.jpeg

and the face with a coat of waterlox to get a sense of the final appearance

C63F78F3-EA3D-4430-9E8B-57B1DF3B39C8.jpeg

And here is the glue set-up for the bottom of the speakers:

16BA688E-094E-41CF-8484-C9BDD87F2FA0.jpeg

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Slow progress, but the bottoms and backs are veneered!

There was minimal cracking in 2 of the 4 sides. It’s very small/barely noticeable, but present. I think that I may be able to adjust my technique to minimize going forward, but we will see (more veneer softener, maybe move faster with the iron).
493E1BC2-24A4-47E4-866D-434C9BC273C3.jpeg

AudioSQ

Looks good. Where did you buy the veneer? I'm so over painting and veneer generally looks better anyways. I'm thinking of redoing mine, although I know zilch about veneering. Why did you go with iron on over other methods? Is it the easiest?

OP
M

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Thanks!

Before answering your questions, I want to emphasize my novice status - emulate my approach at your own risk! There is still a reasonable chance I will fail

The veneer is from www.veneersupplies.com
They have a companion site www.joewoodworker.com that has a lot of useful info.

My approach is a mash up of what they recommend, what I have seen others do, and some YouTube videos. (Notable differences are that I am taping the veneer flat before I glue it, using veneer softener on it before ironing, using a glue roller, and using an old t-shirt between the iron and the veneer, and using a sanding block covered in packing tape to apply pressure after the iron comes off)).

The website above sells a lot of paper backed veneers. Those are what I used before, and they work well with the iron on method.

I wanted to try raw veneer this time because it is both cheaper and more exciting in appearance. The problem is that the real way to adhere it would involve a vacuum press or other cold pressing technique, which I did not want to get into. Some people seem to report success with contact cement, but that stuff smells terrible and I am working in my basement. That left me with the iron on approach as seemingly the most convenient, if I can make it work!

Last edited:
Top Bottom