• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm not sure how loud a cheap 4tb 2.5" laptop hard drive would have to be to make me want to shell out loads more $$$ for a much smaller SSD one! You must have extremely sensitive hearing!
Once you get used to working with SSD's and their read/write speeds while handing big files, you grow spoiled and find the extra $ worth it.
YMMV

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, intermittent freezing requiring a power-button hard reboot seems to be fairly common with NUCs, and my new NUC would freeze anywhere from a couple of times a day to a dozen times or more. With a 15 second reboot time and no problem restoring Firefox sessions, I put up with it. But this morning it was really bad, so I finally did a bit of Google searching, which indicated that it was likely graphics related. I used the Intel driver update utility, and it found a new graphics driver that was dated December 3. After installing the latest driver this morning, my NUC hasn't frozen once. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I found a long-term solution.

I had one more freeze on Tuesday after updating the graphics driver. So I opened the NUC, and removed and reinstalled the Crucial M.2 SSD and the two Crucial DIMM modules, reversing the DIMMs just for fun. Not a single freeze since.

I think that that the tiny surface area of the contacts for M.2 SSDs and the DIMMs is more likely to cause problems than older, larger types. In the early days of PC troubleshooting, the first action was to reboot, and the second was to check the cables. Perhaps now re-seating removable components should be a new standard procedure when random, intermittent problems occur. It worked for me.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I had one more freeze on Tuesday after updating the graphics driver. So I opened the NUC, and removed and reinstalled the Crucial M.2 SSD and the two Crucial DIMM modules, reversing the DIMMs just for fun. Not a single freeze since.

I think that that the tiny surface area of the contacts for M.2 SSDs and the DIMMs is more likely to cause problems than older, larger types. In the early days of PC troubleshooting, the first action was to reboot, and the second was to check the cables. Perhaps now re-seating removable components should be a new standard procedure when random, intermittent problems occur. It worked for me.
Hope it holds stable for you. Thats one lucky NUC, if it was mine it would have ate 158g of 357 magnum a long time ago. :p

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Got and installed my 2TB SSD today. For many it's no big deal I guess.
But when I started with computers close to 25 years ago the thought of this amount of storage was Star Wars stuff.
I'm now over 4TB total, that's just crazy. LOL

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My 60gb OCZ Vertex been running for 11 years now and AFAIK hasn't lost a single bit of data. :)

musicaddict

I use Intel which i known as some of the best, including the durability of the selected chips. The Crucial MMX500 is about the same as Intels, for a period they partned in the area of SSDs.

Since i lost all data in a Sandisk SSD after only 2 years i won`t risk anything other than the best.

My 60gb OCZ Vertex been running for 11 years now and AFAIK hasn't lost a single bit of data. :)

I will have to investigate this one!

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I will have to investigate this one!
Long, long out of print, AFAIK, OCZ was bought out by Toshiba' or the other way around.
Things have changed drasticly with SSD's over the last 11 years.

musicaddict

Long, long out of print, AFAIK, OCZ was bought out by Toshiba' or the other way around.
Things have changed drasticly with SSD's over the last 11 years.

11 years is impressive supposing you used it in a regular basis.

What Vertex model exactly? The durabily has to do with the nand type(all types are still around) and controller, getting to know these will give clues on non discontinued products.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's been running daily all that time, in fact right now, it's the drive that my home Linux OS is installed on.
There is no model beyond OCZ 60g Vertex, when it came out Vertex was their TOTL model. Later came the
Vertex II, III, etc.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
11 years is impressive supposing you used it in a regular basis.
What Vertex model exactly? The durabily has to do with the nand type(all types are still around) and controller, getting to know these will give clues on non discontinued products.
Vertex.png
Vertex2.png

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Resurrecting this thread. Looking for recommendations on a 2 TB external SSD. My Samsung 1TB got filled up due to photos. It served me well, and I do like the form factor. Any reason I should look at another brand?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Resurrecting this thread. Looking for recommendations on a 2 TB external SSD. My Samsung 1TB got filled up due to photos. It served me well, and I do like the form factor. Any reason I should look at another brand?
Not really. I've got an assortment of internal SSD's in 2TB and one 4TB, mostly have been Crucial MX500. Also one Samsung and one Patriot. None have been problematic. I know you asked about external drives but I imagine internally there is little difference excepting the USB connection conversion.. Todays SSD's are a fairly finished technology, I wouldn't worry over too much in the purchase. Sticking to Crucial or Samsung gives you the comfort of a solid manufacturer support.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Samsung are arguably at the top of the heap of memory wrt speed and longevity. You pay a bit more but you get more.

Top Bottom