• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously, though, my original music server was in 1999, when I ripped nearly 1000 CD’s to mechanical hard drives. I have preserved all that data for 20 yeas via backup drives. With platter drives so cheap for the past 10 years, I replace them on schedules. That said, I hardly run the server drives now because of Tidal’s selection, so they get minimal run time. I have two older drives that I keep stored - query, does the data degrade from just sitting there?
If they are hard drives, no, not appreciably. If they are SSDs, particularly older Samsungs of certain models (especially the 840 EVO, of which I own two), they will degrade and should be powered up periodically so that the data can be rewritten automatically in a process silently managed by the drives' firmware.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That said, I hardly run the server drives now because of Tidal’s selection, so they get minimal run time.
Same here, that's what keeps me teetering on building a new silent box. Streaming convenience has taken over lots of the playback duties.
But now getting into ripping my multich files and until some streamer offers that service the library is getting called to duty again.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Are you using the PS3 method?
No, just starting to dip my toes into the very muddy waters of multich optical ripping. I have used dvd audio extractor in Windoz with success on my Russian blu-rays which have already had the security taken out. Looking into the various methods for decrypting of BD. Learning this stuff at my age makes my brain hurt. :eek:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
No, just starting to dip my toes into the very muddy waters of multich optical ripping. I have used dvd audio extractor in Windoz with success on my Russian blu-rays which have already had the security taken out. Looking into the various methods for decrypting of BD. Learning this stuff at my age makes my brain hurt. :eek:

I am sure you have already tried the combined work of the 2 friends: MakeMKV + HandBrake ...

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

New SACD releases just seem to keep coming, 20 years after the format was introduced, and more than 10 years after a succession of knucklehead high-end audio salesmen told me that the format was dead.

Last edited:
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I am sure you have already tried the combined work of the 2 friends: MakeMKV + HandBrake ...
Just now looking into them. I was a late adopter to multich ripping. I'm not into classical or much jazz ,and what has been available in rock-blues had been very small in comparison, then to top it off expensive. Things are starting to open up now so it's becoming more attractive for me to start adding what I'm getting to my computer library.

New SACD releases just seem to keep coming, 20 years after the format was introduced, and more than 10 years after a succession of knucklehead high-end audio salesmen told me that the format was dead.
Yea, BluRay is superior technically in many ways but it's so hard to work with them without a display that SACD have remained popular for music only files. But then as you mention ripping them can require hardware that's expensive and hard to come by. No perfect answer is out there.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've heard some talk of Handbrake being compromised with malware, others saying it's been cleaned???
I've been avoiding it for now. Whats your experience?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Add ffmpeg and trackscalpel and you can do all from a term under linux :] don t need a boring UI
Some hard core CLI folks here. LOL

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Got that SSD installed and formatted yesterday.
Starting to think I maybe should have gotten the 2TB model, the data adds up quick when ripping multich's. o_O

I've had no problems ripping encrypted BD and DVD using the two step DVDae > MakeMKV. What would Handbrake bring to the party?
TIA

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I've had no problems ripping encrypted BD and DVD using the two step DVDae > MakeMKV. What would Handbrake bring to the party?
TIA
They must be talking about recompressing them to lower bitrates.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Sal, glad to read that the ripping program is working for you. 2TB? Don't do it. Go way, way, more if you're seriously considering growing a multi channel music collection. NAS (or at least JBOD). I have a QNAP 4 bay with 6TB drives in a Raid 5 config, giving me about 16TB of actual capacity. Recently I max'ed it out and had to get an expansion unit with two 10TB drives. I should have got an 8 bay QNAP in the first place but at the time I never thought I'd come close to filling up the 4 bay.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have a QNAP 4 bay with 6TB drives in a Raid 5 config, giving me about 16TB of actual capacity. Recently I max'ed it out and had to get an expansion unit with two 10TB drives.
o_Oo_Oo_O:eek:
Holy Cow Ron !!! Thanks for what I'm sure is excellent advice but I'll be long dead before I could afford to spend the $ needed to put together a library that size. :D

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Tup3x

Wombat

Master Contributor
I bought mine when it was 579,90 € (12.1.2018) a pop.. Now it's 269,00 € (inc. 24% VAT)... Funny how things change in 1,5 year.

Don't be an early adopter unless you can commercially justify it or the money is burning a hole in your pocket and your ego can put out the fire. o_O

Tup3x

Don't be an early adopter unless you can commercially justify it or the money is burning a hole in your pocket and your ego can put out the fire. o_O
To be honest, it was a self gift for getting a new job (after being self employed). I knew that the prices would go down a lot. That being said, I didn't feel buyers remorse - it's a great SSD and has been serving me well. It replaced two 1TB HDDs and the acoustical improvements has been very noticeable. Currently I have only one mechanical HDD in my system and it doesn't vibrate badly so no annoying resonance noises.

Top Bottom