• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown XLS2502 Stereo Amplifier Review

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Hey everyone, new to the forum. I found this thread searching for 2502 reviews and found this review very helpful. My only question is how many clean watts could this do bridged at 4ohms? I see the impressive numbers it did with 2 channels, but would like to know real world numbers bridged. I know Crown says 2400watts but...

Looking to drive a pair of subs and need as much power as i can get. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
You don't need to bridge. 2502 produces insane mind numbing power. Run 2 subs on one amp. Unless you desire foundation damage or police intervention.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a footnote, my TV uses TOSLINK to send two-channel audio to my DAC and I saw a noticeable improvement in sound quality when I installed a DAC that reduces phase noise
Wait, what do you mean by that? Interesting observation.

stealthie

You don't need to bridge. 2502 produces insane mind numbing power. Run 2 subs on one amp. Unless you desire foundation damage or police intervention.
Yes thats my current plan. 2 subs on this one amp with both the channels bridged to output 4ohms. I think thats the best way.

I see from the review that it hit about 800w per channel into 4ohm which is a little higher than Crowns numbers. But would like to know how close it gets to 2400watts with both channels bridged into 4ohms. I think im reading the figures in the review right lol.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Yes thats my current plan. 2 subs on this one amp with both the channels bridged to output 4ohms. I think thats the best way.

I see from the review that it hit about 800w per channel into 4ohm which is a little higher than Crowns numbers. But would like to know how close it gets to 2400watts with both channels bridged into 4ohms. I think im reading the figures in the review right lol.
You can't bridge 2 channel amp for 2 subs. You need 2 amps.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My bad i should have been more clear. I plan on using this for a mobile application with two subs in one box wired together for 4ohms.
I don't believe it would be a good idea to run the amp bridged into a 4 ohm load as you mention.
Why not just keep the 2 drivers not connected together, Then useing each channel of the amp separately for each driver?

stealthie

I don't believe it would be a good idea to run the amp bridged into a 4 ohm load as you mention.
Why not just keep the 2 drivers not connected together, Then useing each channel of the amp separately for each driver?
Thats an option. If the numbers from Crown are to be believed bridging would give me 800watts more power. Thats kind of what im trying to find out. How many more watts i would get from bridging the channels. Because 800watts to each channel is huge, but if i could get more that would be better lol.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thats an option. If the numbers from Crown are to be believed bridging would give me 800watts more power. Thats kind of what im trying to find out. How many more watts i would get from bridging the channels. Because 800watts to each channel is huge, but if i could get more that would be better lol.
The difference between 400 and 800 watts is only 3db.
But it will generate a lot more heat and be hard on the output components shortening the life of the amp, fan or no fan. ;)
Your call.

Soundmixer

I have four 2502s, each bridged to power four DYI 15" subs. My subs really like this amp, and I really like the relaxed sound of the speaker/amp headroom.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Thank you for the reply. The SINAD is one I can understand. I was wondering more about the other charts.
I probably don't need the extra power of the 2502, but if it performs better in some other way, I'd consider spending the extra money.
I don't need all that power either, but getting mine used, they were under $300 each...

The key thing for me is current capacity, ie: 2 ohm power....

But I could live with half what they put out, I think...

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Hey everyone, new to the forum. I found this thread searching for 2502 reviews and found this review very helpful. My only question is how many clean watts could this do bridged at 4ohms? I see the impressive numbers it did with 2 channels, but would like to know real world numbers bridged. I know Crown says 2400watts but...

Looking to drive a pair of subs and need as much power as i can get. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
The crown specs are 1khz not 20-20khz... to play safe, estimate a 20% to 30% discount... but still, heaps of power, and good value.

Rebelhifi

Forum Donor
These amp offer a lot of power but, from my research, they are not the best for subs as the power level drops as you go below 40 hz. You can see this in Amir’s tests (power drops at 40 hz and it will trend down. Also, I have seen in other sites. I owned theses amps and still use one for some Clark Synthesis rumblers on the coach. But, I only need 100 watts for these. They are bullet proof (never a problem). For strict sub usage, I would research a little more. You may find a better pro amp with higher power at those frequencies. Good luck.

Soundmixer

These amp offer a lot of power but, from my research, they are not the best for subs as the power level drops as you go below 40 hz. You can see this in Amir’s tests (power drops at 40 hz and it will trend down
Amir didn't test this amp in its bridged mode, he only tested it in the stereo mode. Did your research include testing the amp in its bridged mode?

Rebelhifi

Forum Donor
For most (all) amps, bridged mode is higher power but lower performance (especially in lower impedance). I would not expect it to be better. It will be higher in watts in bridged but not at the spec’s level at the lower hertz. Just letting you know. Buy as you like. They are nice amps for most applications.

Soundmixer

For most (all) amps, bridged mode is higher power but lower performance (especially in lower impedance). I would not expect it to be better. It will be higher in watts in bridged but not at the spec’s level at the lower hertz. Just letting you know. Buy as you like. They are nice amps for most applications.
You didn't really answer my question. Is ANY of your comments based on actual testing and measurements of the bridging of this amp? If you have those measurements, I would love to see them.

As far as the rest of your comment - it is mere speculation without actual data. One cannot assume that a stereo measurement would be the same as a bridge mono measurement without actual confirmation of such.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
That's not quite right - it increases the V output capability (and hence power) - but the current output remains the same.

Noise level rises slightly when in bridged mode (so I am told - I couldn't tell on mine)

It becomes more sensitive to impedance of the speakers as the impedance is effectively halved - so 4 ohm speakers are seen as 2 ohm... 2 ohm as 1 ohm.

Quite a few well regarded amps, are internally two sets of amps bridged.... it's just another approach to design.

Those designs of course, typically are not great at handling difficult (low) impedance speakers

TomH

I would bet that the bridged rating is close to Crown's rating. The non bridged stereo rating for 8 ohm is lower than the actual tested values. I don't know any one with the proper wattage resistors to do a bench test of this amp bridged.

Top Bottom