• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown XLS1002 Pro Amplifier Review

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, from the American perspective its a problem with the Schuko plugs. :)
Even though it’s nothing to do with them? Strange psychology…

Why would an American even know that name?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Because the story that goes around in America is that banana jacks/plugs on amps and speaker cables are prohibited in Europe is to prevent user error because the "pin" size and spacing of a standard double banana plug matches Schuko plugs and presumable people will plug their speakers into the mains or something.

5M5KiGh.jpg

Dlw6RWS.jpg

I don't know if that's the actual rational for the rule or an urban legend but that's the story over here about the little plastic plugs in 5 way binding posts.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because the story that goes around in America is that banana jacks/plugs on amps and speaker cables are prohibited in Europe is to prevent user error because the "pin" size and spacing of a standard double banana plug matches Schuko plugs and presumable people will plug their speakers into the mains or something.

5M5KiGh.jpg

Dlw6RWS.jpg

I don't know if that's the actual rational for the rule or an urban legend but that's the story over here about the little plastic plugs in 5 way binding posts.
You seem to like stories which has no basis o_O

Why would a power socket to be related to a low voltage binding post and banana plug? What can go wrong if you plug an AC device that is designed to accept 240VAC to speaker terminals? An amplifier that is capable of generating 250V has to be a 15,000W amplifier in order to have an issue!

Doesn’t Americans have understanding of even the basics like Ohm’s Law?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

I didn't until today, had to look it up to learn what was being referenced.
Sorry you folks have to live under such draconian rule.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't until today, had to look it up to learn what was being referenced.
Sorry you folks have to live under such draconian rule.
We like rules. Otherwise people shoot each other.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Pulkass

5M5KiGh.jpg

Dlw6RWS.jpg

Could be. We have 230 volts AC 50 hertz. A child could plug 4000 euros daddy s hi fi buff câbles in the mains.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
You seem to like stories which has no basis o_O

Why would a power socket to be related to a low voltage binding post and banana plug? What can go wrong if you plug an AC device that is designed to accept 240VAC to speaker terminals? An amplifier that is capable of generating 250V has to be a 15,000W amplifier in order to have an issue!

Doesn’t Americans have understanding of even the basics like Ohm’s Law?
Put some thought into what you say.
It is due to EU regulation.
It is so the speaker wires are not terminated with banana plugs and then someone plugs said speaker wire in to the electrical outlet by mistake.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Put some thought into what you say.
It is due to EU regulation.
It is so the speaker wires are not terminated with banana plugs and then someone plugs said speaker wire in to the electrical outlet by mistake.
The subject is the amplifier. This amplifier is not stopping anyone to attach banana plugs to a cable.

In case you missed I was asking why would anyone wants to modify the amp using pliers, etc.

Pulkass

That's tonnes of power for $339.00 :D
His place is a sub woofer amp, for my 18 incher, the good thing it has the electronic x over built in, I cut at 150 hertz or whatever and it goes shaking the house down, I tested it solely as a stereo power amp, in my second loudspeakers, floorstanders with passive x over, noticed a lack of attack and definition on highs, I am listening to the same loudspeakers, with two Behringer A 800 in mono, left right, much better highs, my main system has electronic x over, 3 stereo a 800 s, pre is Topping pre 90. I have tubed balanced pre too. The multi amped is much better, highs are compression tweeters with horns, listening room is 540 sq ft.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
His place is a sub woofer amp, for my 18 incher, the good thing it has the electronic x over built in, I cut at 150 hertz or whatever and it goes shaking the house down, I tested it solely as a stereo power amp, in my second loudspeakers, floorstanders with passive x over, noticed a lack of attack and definition on highs, I am listening to the same loudspeakers, with two Behringer A 800 in mono, left right, much better highs, my main system has electronic x over, 3 stereo a 800 s, pre is Topping pre 90. I have tubed balanced pre too. The multi amped is much better, highs are compression tweeters with horns, listening room is 540 sq ft.
Listen again under bias controlled blind conditions and see if you can tell the difference.

Pulkass

Listen again under bias controlled blind conditions and see if you can tell the difference.
I m alone, my wife barely can switch on the tv complex, on my system 2 of my humble abode along the Umbrian hills...l cannot perform yer blind test. (!) My ears have sentenced though, mono - 2 Behringers A 800 are much better. Highs of the Crown 1002 are slightly mudded, less forward and less clear. Thanks for the interest.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I m alone, my wife barely can switch on the tv complex, on my system 2 of my humble abode along the Umbrian hills...l cannot perform yer blind test. (!) My ears have sentenced though, mono - 2 Behringers A 800 are much better. Highs of the Crown 1002 are slightly mudded, less forward and less clear. Thanks for the interest.
Yea, right :facepalm:

Pulkass

Yea, right :facepalm:
Hey Ma'! Look what l found in wha (o) rehouse C of my humble villa, can l solder Kimber . Qued . Nordost cables here ???

Attachments

• IMG_20220719_140813_903~2.jpg
    IMG_20220719_140813_903~2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 61

Frank207be

I often read that the Crown XLS1502 is the better choice between the 2 but I'm very happy with the XLS1002 in bridge mode to drive my HT subs.

Attached a photo of the 3x XLS1002 bridged mono on top of the XLS2502.

2023-11-26-Crown-XLS.jpg

Pulkass

Yes l have one....in mono, connected to
A 18'' sub.House a shakin!

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
recommended list for...driving subwoofers
OK folks, so this thing doesn't match the dynamic range of CD due to it's 14 bits. But if restricted to the low frequencies, is that actually a limitation? Is the noise in just the subwoofer zone at or below a CD? I just can't wrap my head around that, must have been that class I got a D in* back in engineering school.

Q2: So I could buy an 18 kW Powersoft for like $4k instead. o_O
What alternatives are there for sub use? Is there anything else that is at least 400+ watts into 4Ω yet not thousands of dollars?

*see what I did there?!? chortle chortle

D

Deleted member 48726

OK folks, so this thing doesn't match the dynamic range of CD due to it's 14 bits. But if restricted to the low frequencies, is that actually a limitation? Is the noise in just the subwoofer zone at or below a CD? I just can't wrap my head around that, must have been that class I got a D in* back in engineering school.

Q2: So I could buy an 18 kW Powersoft for like $4k instead. o_O
What alternatives are there for sub use? Is there anything else that is at least 400+ watts into 4Ω yet not thousands of dollars?

*see what I did there?!? chortle chortle

You don't use 16 bits.dynamic range anyway. 14 bits is absolutely fine. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference in-room.

What is the noise floor of your listening place? +30 dB?
Yeah.

heboil

Can you remove the "safety plugs" inside the binding posts and replace them afterward? I would be looking to audition the amp, but I don't want to do anything to it that would preclude me from returning it if I wanted to.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 48726

Can you remove the "safety plugs" inside the binding posts and replace them afterward? I would be looking to audition the amp, but I don't want to do anything to it that would preclude me from returning it if I wanted to.

Thanks.
I'm certain they are the std. plugs with two plastic retainers so you can just plug them back in. If you want to mess with the next user you could put the red in black and vice versa..;)

Top Bottom