• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown XLS1002 Pro Amplifier Review

Pulkass

We have a few fig trees (really bushes) but only one had fruit this year. And I ate all of the fresh. :) Dried fig can be super sweet.

It is strange but moles love them! The dig around them every spring.
San Daniele Prosciutto and figs, something we ltalians love to adore in the summer.

Dwander

Bought it to be used as a power force to my 18 inch subwoofer, arrived yesterday, a darn hell to remove the plugs in the binding posts, drill and little pliers. I took them out.!!! For my banana terminated Nordost Flatline of yore.
There’s an easy method I had stumbled on. Grab a coarse screw like a drywall screw, insert, twist lightly, then pull.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yep, I've removed them from 4 amps now this way. Twist in the screw and pull out.

If it wasn't for Euro Schuko style AC power and plugs, this would not be a concern or something we would have to do.

Pulkass

Yep, I've removed them from 4 amps now this way. Twist in the screw and pull out.

If it wasn't for Euro Schuko style AC power and plugs, this would not be a concern or something we would have to do.
Who darn invented Schuco ? Merkel ? Absolutely awful. Anyway listening to this power amp, stereo, no filtering. Rather nice. !

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I’m sorry but why are you using Schuko AC plug in Indiana???

Wolf

I’m sorry but why are you using Schuko AC plug in Indiana???
I'm not. European Market dictates certain restrictions, and thusly Harman sells them with plugs in place to avoid the Schuko connectivity allowance. It's why the plugs are there.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not. European Market dictates certain restrictions, and thusly Harman sells them with plugs in place to avoid the Schuko connectivity allowance. It's why the plugs are there.
But the AC cable is not captive. There’s nothing stopping you replace it with a US plug version and throw the included one away. So, what is the concern?

Meanwhile, in the UK we use our own plug and companies are not allowed to import equipment without one or without a converter.

Wolf

I think you are missing the point. A Schuko is 3/4" spaced round tipped plug. The binding post speaker outputs on the Crown and most other US gear are made for bananas at 3/4" spacing and also round tipped plugs.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But the AC cable is not captive. There’s nothing stopping you replace it with a US plug version and throw the included one away. So, what is the concern?

Meanwhile, in the UK we use our own plug and companies are not allowed to import equipment without one or without a converter.

He's talking about the plastic stoppers inside the amplifier's binding posts which prevent both banana plugs and Schuko plugs from being inserted into the binding posts.

Companies don't want to have a separate Schuko country SKU with the with the binding posts plugged up so they just ship one plugged up version everywhere and leave the end user to remove the plugs.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What a bunch of insanity in EU
593px-Map_of_current_European_mains_electricity_plug_types.png

Currently used AC mains plugs in Europe:
Schuko (Type F, CEE 7/4 plug, CEE 7/7 plug)

French (Type E, CEE 7/6 plug, CEE 7/7 plug)

British (Type G, BS 1363)

Swiss (Type J, SN 441011)

Danish 107-2-D1 (Type K)

Italian CEI 23-50 (Type L)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He's talking about the plastic stoppers inside the amplifier's binding posts which prevent both banana plugs and Schuko plugs from being inserted into the binding posts.

Companies don't want to have a separate Schuko country SKU with the with the binding posts plugged up so they just ship one plugged up version everywhere and leave the end user to remove the plugs.
Finally I understood. I think. But not sure about the reason. What will happen if you insert the power plug to an amplifier’s speaker connectors? Amplifier is not powered when you do that anyway.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What a bunch of insanity in EU
593px-Map_of_current_European_mains_electricity_plug_types.png

Currently used AC mains plugs in Europe:
Schuko (Type F, CEE 7/4 plug, CEE 7/7 plug)

French (Type E, CEE 7/6 plug, CEE 7/7 plug)

British (Type G, BS 1363)

Swiss (Type J, SN 441011)

Danish 107-2-D1 (Type K)

Italian CEI 23-50 (Type L)
I can equally call the allowing non-earthed sockets in general and use of 110VAC hence the need to use more expensive cables to carry more current as insanity. At least European systems do not risk electrocution.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m confused. Is there another meaning of a Schuko plug then this?

No. The problem is that those AC plugs will fit in the standard 5 way binding posts just like banana plugs on speaker cables.

index.php

Not being a mainland European, the story I've heard is that those little plastic stoppers inside the binding posts are required by some regulation or other so that Schuko AC plugs cannot be inserted into the binding posts.

SKU is "stock keeping unit". Most companies doesn't want to manufacture/stock separate models with and without the plugged up binding posts depending on the country it will be sold in so they are all plugged up and the end user can take the responsibility of removing them.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can equally call the allowing non-earthed sockets in general and use of 110VAC hence the need to use more expensive cables to carry more current as insanity. At least European systems do not risk electrocution.
Yep, your right, I read about the electrocutions every day. :facepalm:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No. The problem is that those AC plugs will fit in the standard 5 way binding posts just like banana plugs on speaker cables.

index.php

Not being a mainland European, the story I've heard is that those little plastic stoppers inside the binding posts are required by some regulation or other so that Schuko AC plugs cannot be inserted into the binding posts.

SKU is "stock keeping unit". Most companies doesn't want to manufacture/stock separate models with and without the plugged up binding posts depending on the country it will be sold in so they are all plugged up and the end user can take the responsibility of removing them.
Thank you for the clarification. I understand now. I was confused with the term Schuco when in fact the issue is about banana plugs.

In EU and UK, you can’t sell loudspeaker leads terminated in banana plugs, nor can sell power amplifiers and loudspeakers that accept banana plugs. They are no longer suitable because they are unsafe.

Banana plugs are rated at 30V. A120W at 8 ohms amplifier is already outside their voltage limit and modern power amplifiers can output more than that.

I don’t think trying to modify an amplifier which will reduce safety is a good idea. It’s time we stop using banana plugs.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, your right, I read about the electrocutions every day. :facepalm:

Based on data from the NIOSH National Traumatic Occupational Fatalities (NTOF) surveillance system, electrocutions were the fifth leading cause of death from 1980 through 1992. The 5,348 deaths caused by electrocutions accounted for 7% of all fatalities and an average of 411 deaths per year.

Electrocution continues to be a significant cause of occupational death. Workers need to be provided with safety training and employers, particularly smaller employers, persuaded of the need for safety training.

Pulkass

Calling from Central ltaly, 99.9 % of amps sold here don't have such ' security plugs' at the binding posts.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Calling from Central ltaly, 99.9 % of amps sold here don't have such ' security plugs' at the binding posts.
I bet you can buy speaker cables with banana plugs pre attached too :)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the clarification. I understand now. I was confused with the term Schuco when in fact the issue is about banana plugs.

In EU and UK, you can’t sell loudspeaker leads terminated in banana plugs, nor can sell power amplifiers and loudspeakers that accept banana plugs. They are no longer suitable because they are unsafe.

Banana plugs are rated at 30V. A120W at 8 ohms amplifier is already outside their voltage limit and modern power amplifiers can output more than that.

I don’t think trying to modify an amplifier which will reduce safety is a good idea. It’s time we stop using banana plugs.

Well, from the American perspective its a problem with the Schuko plugs. :)

Speakons would be best, but until hi-fi passives start coming with them I'll be using locking bananas.

Pulkass

I bet you can buy speaker cables with banana plugs pre attached too :)
No cable issues !!!@@@@ . My latest loudspeaker cables were bought 15 years ago, yes Qed silver anniversary and Nordost flatline were terminated by the shop. Other cables, Sommercable, Kinder, were not.

Attachments

• IMG_20220708_152412_649.jpg
    IMG_20220708_152412_649.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 64
Top Bottom