• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown XLS vs. Hypex Ncore/ucd

Dwander

I’ve got two Stereo Integrity HST-18’s in ported boxes with two more on the way. I havnt been able to land on amps that I’m totally content with. I started with a clone amp, the FP20000Q, but it was too loud and generated too much heat. So I sold it and fell
back on Crown XLS-2502 amps. My end game choice was a pair of SpeakerPower Sp2-8000’s, but a little expensive so I was waiting a bit.

Meanwhile, I was looking around and saw that VTV is offering both Hypex NC2K and ucd2K monoblocks. I’m a big fan of hypex amps and I’m using them on all my speakers. I’m not sure if these monoblocks are a worthwhile step up from the Crowns though. Can I expect more power in the lower frequencies? Maybe better control of the drivers? And could there be a noticeable audible difference? 4 of these would be cheaper than the speakerpower amps and can buy one at a time, so I’m intrigued and very curious to hear anyones thoughts or experience.

Thanks!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
VTV has 30 day trial or money back, so if I were you I would test an NC1200 or NC2K if that is what you are after.

Top Bottom