• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown XLS 1002

Pulkass

Darn l will set my main pre amp tomorrow.!!!! See pic. His output could drive a pair of speakers !!!!!
Solved!!!! It was some cabling problems. And connection issues. See pic. Thanks to everybody.

Attachments

• IMG_20220805_082130_562.jpg
    IMG_20220805_082130_562.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 65

Audio1000!

I read this entire thread but I am still a bit confused.

I am considering the Crown XLS1002. I plan to build a wooden subwoofer box (DIY) and throw a single 12" 800 RMS sub in it. It is a Dayton Audio RsSS315HE-22 12" 2x2 ohm dual voice coil sub (4.1 ohm.) It weighs 32lbs. and it is not cheap ($279) so I figured it might sound better than the cheaper looking subs. I do realize there is a lot to the science- I am fairly clueless. I believe that they use these in car audio too. My main interest is music and some home theatre.

I do not have any other crossover, volume controls, polarity, nothing. Just a box and a speaker. If I get this Crown, can I use the crossover? Most say to set it at around 80dB's. It is part of a 7.1 system. Coming out of my receiver is a single RCA SUB OUT.

Thanks and go easy on me. I will admit- I am new and know nothing! :rolleyes:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I am considering the Crown XLS1002. I plan to build a wooden subwoofer box (DIY) and throw a single 12" 800 RMS sub in it. It is a Dayton Audio RsSS315HE-22 12" 2x2 ohm dual voice coil sub (4.1 ohm.) It weighs 32lbs. and it is not cheap ($279) so I figured it might sound better than the cheaper looking subs. I do realize there is a lot to the science- I am fairly clueless. I believe that they use these in car audio too. My main interest is music and some home theatre.

I do not have any other crossover, volume controls, polarity, nothing. Just a box and a speaker. If I get this Crown, can I use the crossover? Most say to set it at around 80dB's. It is part of a 7.1 system. Coming out of my receiver is a single RCA SUB OUT.

How did you plan the box particularly? Model it with winisd or bass box pro or similar?

The crown can do crossover as long as you use the amp for both speaker and sub, but if you're using an avr just use the bass management's crossover to low pass the sub; a crossover of 80 Hz is a good starting point (not dB). You can reverse speaker leads to flip polarity if needed, some avrs can handle that for you too. FWIW the crown's dsp is not suitable for setting equalization, tho.

cistercian

Forum Donor
I bought a Crown 1002 and liked it so much I bought a 2502. Best amps I have ever had. I run mine full range into JBL 835 passive
speakers. I use a RME ADI2 DAC which is just an epic piece of gear. But I am a cretin so beware my advice. See Amirs review of my components.

I like what I use. YMMV.

dlaloum

Major Contributor

Short answer is yes.

Audio1000!

How did you plan the box particularly? Model it with winisd or bass box pro or similar?

The crown can do crossover as long as you use the amp for both speaker and sub, but if you're using an avr just use the bass management's crossover to low pass the sub; a crossover of 80 Hz is a good starting point (not dB). You can reverse speaker leads to flip polarity if needed, some avrs can handle that for you too. FWIW the crown's dsp is not suitable for setting equalization, tho.
Don't know anything like that. Just figured a good size box, maybe 24" x 24". Seems a common size.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know anything like that. Just figured a good size box, maybe 24" x 24". Seems a common size.
Sticking a driver you paid $280 for in a random box isn't generally a great idea. The Dayton specs are 1 cuft for sealed, 2.7 cuft for ported but without other info as to the parameters of the modeling. Maybe check diy fora for modeling/builds....

Top Bottom