• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown XLS 1002

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think it will necessarily compromise the sub setup. Subs generally are made to use full range input. It doesn't hurt them. I'd like to know if the Link outs are buffered or just a pass through. If just a pass thru you are getting the same effect as a y connection at the source output jacks. Which may be bad since the input impedance is likely to be only 5 kohm as seen by the source component. Which I suppose is what you mean by compromising the setup.

Subs accepting full range is already a compromise, tho. Subs don't generally need to deal with full range if you have better bass management....

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Subs accepting full range is already a compromise, tho. Subs don't generally need to deal with full range if you have better bass management....
Actually no. Almost all subs have their own filtering. For instance a sub I use has a 24 db per octave roll off at frequencies I can select. Whether I let the sub do it or select full range and let an external processor do the same roll off makes no difference to the sub or how it will sound. If I select a roll off and let external processing do another roll off then the roll off is steeper, but it may not mesh with what else is going on.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually no. Almost all subs have their own filtering. For instance a sub I use has a 24 db per octave roll off at frequencies I can select. Whether I let the sub do it or select full range and let an external processor do the same roll off makes no difference to the sub or how it will sound. If I select a roll off and let external processing do another roll off then the roll off is steeper, but it may not mesh with what else is going on.

But why would you rely on the sub to provide bass mangement to begin with? Subs do have low pass filters, sure, that's usually all they have.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But why would you rely on the sub to provide bass mangement to begin with? Subs do have low pass filters, sure, that's usually all they have.
There is no one answer for that. Some (more than a few) have other controls too.
1622174354635.png

OP
A

Ampnoob

For the Crown XLS you can use the 1/4" connectors in the back as pass thru to the subwoofer. And you can use the internal crossover to do a hi-pass filter to the mains. As for the Yamaha, from the manual, I don't think you can do that. Plus is twice the price of the Crown.

Thanks
So 1/4” can be used as pass thru.
apologies I did not clarify that I need just a pass thru output. As I can see a real battle goes below in the replies.
That is a way to save on some cash and avoid buying preamp or any other equipment
Simple, just 2 channel amp with a pass thru and powered sub that don’t need x over as there is one already integrated in the sub.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks
So 1/4” can be used as pass thru.
apologies I did not clarify that I need just a pass thru output. As I can see a real battle goes below in the replies.
That is a way to save on some cash and avoid buying preamp or any other equipment
Simple, just 2 channel amp with a pass thru and powered sub that don’t need x over as there is one already integrated in the sub.
Yes, while in a perfect world the answer would be different, on the low frequency end you can often work around constrictions and get a very good result with what is available. Could you get a little better? Sure, but is it worth say 300% more cost, .............probably not.

Be sure to stick around and take part. You can help us with better brain twisters.......:)

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
If you have a small room and care about heat dump, the PX3 has a 55W idling consumption, higher than many AB class AVRs. When I had an XLS 1502 the idling consumption was around 12W IIRC.

Pulkass

Whatever, the crossover in the Crown is for running separate passive monitors for low/high frequencies. Not unusual. Not the same as much home audio installations, altho they can be somewhat flexible as such. I'll review my manuals but doubt I'll change my position on what the line outs offer.
My system right now, Topping pre 90, two Behringer A 800 s in mono, each to one channel, R+L, out of Topping XLR+RCA, RCA goes to Crown XLS 1002, brand new, bridged, low pass at 200 hz, going to a Behringer 18 inch subwoofer , sensitivity on the Crown is 0.775, but subwoofer volume is very low, bridged potentiometer is the left one, full on, but volume is very low, bad matching Topping pre to Crown ????

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My system right now, Topping pre 90, two Behringer A 800 s in mono, each to one channel, R+L, out of Topping XLR+RCA, RCA goes to Crown XLS 1002, brand new, bridged, low pass at 200 hz, going to a Behringer 18 inch subwoofer , sensitivity on the Crown is 0.775, but subwoofer volume is very low, bridged potentiometer is the left one, full on, but volume is very low, bad matching Topping pre to Crown ????
Not sure what you mean by bridged potentiometer is the left one? Looking at the Topping Pre90 tests Amir did, it looks to have plenty of output as long as your source provides sufficient input. What sub is it particularly?

Pulkass

Not sure what you mean by bridged potentiometer is the left one? Looking at the Topping Pre90 tests Amir did, it looks to have plenty of output as long as your source provides sufficient input. What sub is it particularly?
I meant that in bridged mode, the frontal left pot controls the volume. Right pot is inactive. Amir tested the Topping pre, only in XLR mode, if l m not wrong, tomorrow l will reverse the output cables. Sub is a passive 18 inch Behringer.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant that in bridged mode, the frontal left pot controls the volume. Right pot is inactive. Amir tested the Topping pre, only in XLR mode, if l m not wrong, tomorrow l will reverse the output cables. Sub is a passive 18 inch Behringer.
The Crown should be fine with rca input, tho experiementing with splitting the xlr might be a thought. Where have you set the gain/attenuator on the Crown? Was curious what specific model of sub so I could look at details....

Pulkass

The Crown should be fine with rca input, tho experiementing with splitting the xlr might be a thought. Where have you set the gain/attenuator on the Crown? Was curious what specific model of sub so I could look at details....
The sub is a Behringer Eurolive 1800 s. It's a mistery, when l bought it , 2 years ago, and never used again, back then l tested it and my house was shaking, don't remember how and what equipment l connected it with. In this actual configuration the led - meters of the Crown stay with just one led - green lit , and never moves up.

Pulkass

The sub is a Behringer Eurolive 1800 s. It's a mistery, when l bought it , 2 years ago, and never used again, back then l tested it and my house was shaking, don't remember how and what equipment l connected it with. In this actual configuration the led - meters of the Crown stay with just one led - green lit , and never moves up.
Another reason could be the following: as I said, I m driving the two huge floorstanders with two bridged Behringer A800 s, such loudspeakers are 90 db sensitivity, so the volume get pretty loud at 30 db as my Topping pre amp shows, I can t pull it up not much more, so not enough signal gets to the Crown input, just guessing, stay tuned, many more tests are coming.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then sounds like you need to turn up the gain on the amp.....the first green led is indicating you're -20dB from clipping. I'd set it so that at max volume with the loudest you'll use it, you're just barely getting the clipping light to come on. Max gain on the Crown if necessary, but hard to believe that's necessary at the .775V sensitivity setting. I doubt the sub changed due to non-use, tho.
Another reason could be the following: as I said, I m driving the two huge floorstanders with two bridged Behringer A800 s, such loudspeakers are 90 db sensitivity, so the volume get pretty loud at 30 db as my Topping pre amp shows, I can t pull it up not much more, so not enough signal gets to the Crown input, just guessing, stay tuned, many more tests are coming.
Not familiar with the Topping volume scale, but 30dB isn't much nor very meaningful as a volume level. The sub shows a sensitivity spec of 99dB (1w/1m) so doesn't need a lot of power. I'd still think there's sufficient signal from the Topping....but what's your source(s) for content?

Pulkass

Then sounds like you need to turn up the gain on the amp.....the first green led is indicating you're -20dB from clipping. I'd set it so that at max volume with the loudest you'll use it, you're just barely getting the clipping light to come on. Max gain on the Crown if necessary, but hard to believe that's necessary at the .775V sensitivity setting. I doubt the sub changed due to non-use, tho.

Not familiar with the Topping volume scale, but 30dB isn't much nor very meaningful as a volume level. The sub shows a sensitivity spec of 99dB (1w/1m) so doesn't need a lot of power. I'd still think there's sufficient signal from the Topping....but what's your source(s) for content?
My sources are Cd player, smsl ao100 dac, tidal too.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My sources are Cd player, smsl ao100 dac, tidal too.
The review of your pre-amp that Amir did he set it to unity gain, curious, what setting are you using in the pre-amp? Are you using an spl meter to match your main speakers to sub?

Pulkass

The review of your pre-amp that Amir did he set it to unity gain, curious, what setting are you using in the pre-amp? Are you using an spl meter to match your main speakers to sub?
Yes I can regolate out put on RCA , where the Crown is connected, differentially, but a pain in the neck to enter such regulations, horrible firmware. I have not succedded right now.

Pulkass

Yes I can regolate out put on RCA , where the Crown is connected, differentially, but a pain in the neck to enter such regulations, horrible firmware. I have not succedded right now.
Can l set for example fixed volume on RCA out - 20 dB ??? My Behringer s are connected via XLR - so l m in XLR + RCA mode, I am listening, main volume is -35 dB enough that l can talk to my wife in our 100 sq Mt salon, music is more than background, the Crown doesn't even show green led meters!!! , nothing, l switched it off. Slightly angry !!!!

Pulkass

Can l set for example fixed volume on RCA out - 20 dB ??? My Behringer s are connected via XLR - so l m in XLR + RCA mode, I am listening, main volume is -35 dB enough that l can talk to my wife in our 100 sq Mt salon, music is more than background, the Crown doesn't even show green led meters!!! , nothing, l switched it off. Slightly angry !!!!
Darn l will set my main pre amp tomorrow.!!!! See pic. His output could drive a pair of speakers !!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220609_120351_449~3.jpg
    IMG_20220609_120351_449~3.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom