• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown amp owners, what's next?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For those on the thread who apparently have low reading comprehension scores:

"Glaubke maintains that all Harman Professional Solutions brands will continue to exist, adding that “there will be continued investment in the portfolio, including AMX.”

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
For those on the thread who apparently have low reading comprehension scores:

"Glaubke maintains that all Harman Professional Solutions brands will continue to exist, adding that “there will be continued investment in the portfolio, including AMX.”

Anyone with an ounce of ethics won't give a crap about that. Why support those pigs when there's 100's of other salt of the earth manufactures out there with superior products for less money? Companies who care about their workers and their country, not just the bottom line for investors!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Anyone with an ounce of ethics won't give a crap about that. Why support those pigs when there's 100's of other salt of the earth manufactures out there with superior products for less money? Companies who care about their workers and their country, not just the bottom line for investors!

Do you own a car? If so, who made it?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why support those pigs when there's 100's of other salt of the earth manufactures out there with superior products for less money?
Because if you have a football game, and you have this many amplifiers like Lucas Oil Stadium has:
Lucus Oil Stadium crown.jpg

You want a substantial company behind it that you can get you support, parts, replacement on moment's notice. Ditto for running the sound for a live concert.

You also want a company that has the design expertise and wherewithal to develop highly reliable products that can be beat to death, run way outs of norms as far as temp, vibration, etc. and have it still work. And oh, instrumentation to tell you of failures.

Your hobbyist turned audio maker doesn't come close to qualifying.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Do you own a car? If so, who made it?

That's a very poor analogy. If I could get a superior car for less money from a small manufacturer who builds with pride and supports their local community I'll buy from them in a heart beat. Luckily with audio we have 100's of options to do just that.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That's a very poor analogy. If I could get a superior car for less money from a small manufacturer who builds with pride and supports their local community I'll buy from them in a heart beat. Luckily with audio we have 100's of options to do just that.

It's not a poor analogy if you realize that Crown's target market is the pro audio / installation sector with serious B2B needs.

They're not a consumer company.

If hobbyists want to buy from small cottage-industry providers, that's their choice and risk, but that has practically nothing to do with Crown.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Because if you have a football game, and you have this many amplifiers like Lucas Oil Stadium has:
View attachment 8754

You want a substantial company behind it that you can get you support, parts, replacement on moment's notice. Ditto for running the sound for a live concert.

You also want a company that has the design expertise and wherewithal to develop highly reliable products that can be beat to death, run way outs of norms as far as temp, vibration, etc. and have it still work. And oh, instrumentation to tell you of failures.

Your hobbyist turned audio maker doesn't come close to qualifying.

That looks like a cloud datacenter.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to mention Drive Core is a Crown Technology and if your recent car has Infinity or Levinson or Lexicon product in it, it has.... Drum Roll..... Drive Core.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
There's hundreds of options from ethical pro manufactures who have superior solutions for less money. Besides many folks are using Crown amps in their homes these days. Amir doesn't sell to stadiums. Amir sells all of his Crown amps for home audio use.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Well the 4 Harman reps of the forum have been exposed :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well the 4 Harman reps of the forum have been exposed :)
:D

Hey harman paid my mortgage, the very food I'm eating and bed I'm sleeping on is harman funded. Even my view right now is from the benefit of harman profits.

Before harman my socks had holes in the toes and don't even ask about my pants #airconditioning

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
There's hundreds of options from ethical pro manufactures who have superior solutions for less money.

Name one.

Note that the requirements need to include network-linked amps connected to software-configurable PA drive arrays that map to control rooms manned by broadcast crews using mixing software to steer output and modify EQ according to multiple mics placed in the venue and what they hear over in-control room monitors and see on their screens.

This is what I've experienced in symphony control rooms and they're scaled down compared to stadiums or big arenas like you get at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

Based on your statement, I'm not sure you understand the environment.

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's hundreds of options from ethical pro manufactures who have superior solutions for less money. Besides many folks are using Crown amps in their homes these days. Amir doesn't sell to stadiums. Amir sells all of his Crown amps for home audio use.

My first Crown was in 87 and was the DC 300A, DC 150A, IC150, and the V150 *VU meters.

In 96 when the IC150 had really bad noise from the pots I called Crown. They didn't brush me off. One of the tech's said he may have replacement parts at home!

So they call me back and told me it would be $99 plus shipping the unit to them. Not $99 for the parts only. But everything.

I drove there 6.5 hours to drop it off, tour the place, and came away impressed. I've own Carver, Adcom, Parasound, Rotel, in the interim, and back full circle with Crown. It'll be that way for the foreseeable future even though the Crown I visited in 96 isn't the same as of a year ago.

Crown, JBL, BBS, AMX, Digi, etc are all going to become Samsung badges. I think the heart will still be there. Crown owns over 30% of all the patents in the Amplification market.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Name one.

Note that the requirements need to include network-linked amps connected to software-configurable PA drive aways that map to control rooms manned by broadcast crews using mixing software to steer output and modify EQ according to multiple mics placed in the venue and what they hear over in-control room monitors and see on their screens.

This is what I've experienced in symphony control rooms and they're scaled down compared to stadiums or big arenas like you get at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

Based on your statement, I'm not sure you understand the environment.

How is any of this relevant to any of Amir's home audio clients?

Besides what you're describing can easily be handled with any AES 67 compliant amp.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Small sample can be found here:

https://www.audinate.com/products/dante-enabled

Also dozens of active speakers with the same functionality. Then we have dozens of Ravenna based solutions in the works. And let's not forget the dozen or so other AOIP protocols pro audio companies use. All offer similar functionality.

When you pull your head out of the sand, it's amazing what you can discover.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Small sample can be found here:

https://www.audinate.com/products/dante-enabled

Also dozens of active speakers with the same functionality. Then we have dozens of Ravenna based solutions in the works. And let's not forget the dozen or so other AOIP protocols pro audio companies use. All offer similar functionality.

1. First of all, Dante and its competitors are fine, but they're just a small part of the whole package. You still need the rest of the solution in the form of PA, control software, etc.

2. Second of all, leading Dante providers like Focusrite aren't exactly mom and pop shops. Focusrite is itself a publicly traded company (symbol: TUNE).

3. Focusrite makes stuff in China/Asia, like much of the providers listed on the Audinate partner page https://www.audinate.com/products/dante-enabled/partners

I don't think you're bolstering your case here...

Last edited:
Top Bottom