• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

crown 2502 for home stereo

thumper

Replaced a dead carver amp with pair of crown xls 2502,s running bridged thinking using them mono would help eliminate crosstalk, and defeating ground pin on plug completely eliminated hum. I was surprised at the better detail and stronger imaging not to mention the bass, didn't expect that from such cheap amps, anybody else put them in your home setup?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Replaced a dead carver amp with pair of crown xls 2502,s running bridged thinking using them mono would help eliminate crosstalk, and defeating ground pin on plug completely eliminated hum. I was surprised at the better detail and stronger imaging not to mention the bass, didn't expect that from such cheap amps, anybody else put them in your home setup?

I think. @hardisj uses them for his HT.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

cistercian

Forum Donor
I use a crown xls2502 to drive a pair of JBL SRX835 passives. I drive the amp with a RME ADI-2 FS V2 DAC.
I find the system excellent in performance. I started with a 1002 driving a couple of Bose 301 speakers and was amazed
how well the amp worked...it sounded so clear and clean compared to my Pioneer SX727 (circa 1972). I think the xls amps
are wonderful especially if you want POWER. Serious bass hits! I thought the xls 1002 would be loud but not cool otherwise
and was delighted to discover how excellent it sounded...even at low level.
I love my 2502...and my speakers. A great pairing!

Old&intheWay

I recently purchased a Crown XLS 2502 and ‘tested’ it in a 2-channel system. I didn’t notice any high frequency distortion at all. I’d originally planned to use it to power a pair of SVS 16-46 passive subwoofers in a HT system, but I’m satisfied with it in a 2-channel system. A few notes:
Equipment: Oppo 103 DVD player/Morrison ELAD/Crown XLS 2502/B&W 801 Matrix Series 2/RCA connectors
Average household floor noise (30 dB)(measured with an iPhone free app)
Average playback (85 db)
Gain controls on the preamp: (9-10 o’clock)
Gain controls on the amplifier: (2 o’clock)
Input sensitivity on amplifier: 0.775v
Stereo mode with no crossovers
No audible hiss from speakers/no fan noise after 30 minutes @ system idle
DSP readings:
P/S 26C (36C (after six hours of music playback))
LV 13.9V
CH1 43C (46C)
CH2 40C (46C)
VP .92V
VN -.92V
Music playback:
Miles Davis – Kind of Blue (digitally remastered)
Deep Forest
Time Warp (Erich Kunzel – Cincinnati Pops (TELARC)
1812 (Sir George Solti – Chicago Symphony (London)
Elgar: Violin Concerto (Itzhak Perlman) Chicago Symphony (Deutsche Grammophon)
Rage Against the Machine

That was the first day of listening, but I doubt my opinion will change.

Old&intheWay

You should have plenty of power! I recently purchased a Crown XLS 2502, see my post above.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I had good results using the XLS series amps. Balanced inputs to address the hum. Also made a believer of me on Speakon connectors.
Not SOTA performance instead a lot of reliable power for the asking price.

Top Bottom