• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crossover topology, lobbing and coaxials

outlookrt

Greetings. I've recently received some Seas coaxial drivers. I've quickly thrown them into some sealed enclosures I had which provide a qtc of between .5-.6 according to calculations. I am using them close the wall and one is near a corner in a fairly near-field apartment listening setup. With some very rough measurements and based on what I can find online I've dialed in some basic crossover options into my mindsp SHD and measured to ensure they sum to a fairly similiar FR. This driver seems to allow for 1st order crossovers, Seas uses 2nd order for their Loki kit, and I noticed their minidsp active preset they provide for the Loki uses 4th order LR with some EQing to flatten FR further. So far they sound pretty good! It's my first time using coaxials and I'm enjoying the 'solidity' to the sound when moving my head. As I don't always sit in the same place on the sofa and often move around the room, I can def notice a more cohesive less phasey sound when not in the sweet spot whiich I'm enjoying.

What I'm trying to understand is, does using a coaxial removing lobbing issues associated with each crossover type? and if so is there any reason a 1st order would be recommended in this instance over a simple 2nd or passive/active 4th? I suppose it depends on if I say active or go passive, I assume running active theres little reason to not use steeper filters, and the only reason to not do so passively would be costs/complexity of crossover?

Top Bottom