• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crossover Solution For Active Speakers And Subwoofer

ghostwriter

I'm currently trying to come up with a good 2.1 setup, but I'm having trouble figuring out how I'm going to integrate a subwoofer if I'd like to keep the signal to my monitors balanced, couple the volume levels of the sub and speakers, and avoid introducing distortion that would get passed onto the speakers (does it work like that?).

My current plan is to get two Genelec 8030C monitors and a SMSL SU-9 DAC, but the DAC can be replaced if a better option is suggested that can help integrate a subwoofer. I'd like to use a crossover of 120Hz, which complicates things since a lot of subs have a fixed crossover at 80Hz. I'd also like to keep the monitor's signal balanced, so any solution that doesn't end up sending a balanced signal to the monitors wouldn't work.

I've seen the Yamaha HS8S suggested once in a thread and it seems to avoid the previous two issues, but I'm not sure if its audio quality would put it in the same tier as the Genelecs with just an 8" woofer and a 150W amplifier.

I've also seen miniDSP devices mentioned for crossover, and as far as I can tell, the miniDSP SHD would meet my needs pretty well, but it seems expensive if it'll just be used as a simple crossover. Do the features of the SHD make it worth considering as a replacement for the SMSL SU-9 DAC in my chain? And is there a barebones solution that is simply a balanced input/output crossover device?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm currently trying to come up with a good 2.1 setup, but I'm having trouble figuring out how I'm going to integrate a subwoofer if I'd like to keep the signal to my monitors balanced, couple the volume levels of the sub and speakers, and avoid introducing distortion that would get passed onto the speakers (does it work like that?).

My current plan is to get two Genelec 8030C monitors and a SMSL SU-9 DAC, but the DAC can be replaced if a better option is suggested that can help integrate a subwoofer. I'd like to use a crossover of 120Hz, which complicates things since a lot of subs have a fixed crossover at 80Hz. I'd also like to keep the monitor's signal balanced, so any solution that doesn't end up sending a balanced signal to the monitors wouldn't work.

I've seen the Yamaha HS8S suggested once in a thread and it seems to avoid the previous two issues, but I'm not sure if its audio quality would put it in the same tier as the Genelecs with just an 8" woofer and a 150W amplifier.

I've also seen miniDSP devices mentioned for crossover, and as far as I can tell, the miniDSP SHD would meet my needs pretty well, but it seems expensive if it'll just be used as a simple crossover. Do the features of the SHD make it worth considering as a replacement for the SMSL SU-9 DAC in my chain? And is there a barebones solution that is simply a balanced input/output crossover device?

I am in the exact same situation : I have a pair of 8030C and was thinking about adding an HS8S.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Do the features of the SHD make it worth considering as a replacement for the SMSL SU-9 DAC in my chain? And is there a barebones solution that is simply a balanced input/output crossover device?

A miniDSP 2x4HD is perfectly fine and I coupled mine with an Ebtech/Morley Passive Line Level Shifter (discontinued?) to convert to the device's unbalanced RCA outs to balanced XLR/TRS lines into my KH120s. There are other similar (probably even cheaper) devices active/passive converters like it out there.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Such a simple straightforward ask and no simple solution if you want to have a volume knob and balanced connections. See my similar thread here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...r-active-monitors-with-sub.22636/#post-755047

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would a sub with balanced inputs & outputs and low and high pass filters solve your problem? I have one of these on order: Eris Sub8 | PreSonus

*edit* if it's not clear, the sub would sit in-line, between the DAC and monitors and would be subject to the same volume control from either the digital source feeding the DAC (PC?) or the DAC itself

I don't know what it's going to do to the signal that eventually gets to my monitors, as I have seen no measurements. But it fits my other criterea in terms of cost, size and input/outputs.

*edit 2* I see you've already found a balanced sub solution with the HS8. That should work in the same way as I suggested with the Sub8.

Last edited:
Top Bottom