• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crossover Software for Windows, Linux, macOS.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any suggestions are welcome. Post suggestions here. I will gather the details and add them. Thanks. :D This will be organized as results come in.
For EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android go here.

Good reference literature on crossovers:
Phase, Time and Distortion in Loudspeakers.
Thoughts About Crossovers.

Windows
For applying created filters:

Hang Loose Convolver (HLC) is a specially designed stereo and multichannel convolver to compare “level matched” convolution filters in real time with “instant switching” between filters.
EKIO a Loudspeaker Management Application, create a crossover for your full-range speakers, integrate a subwoofer and equalize the system.
dePhonica supports any Windows compatible soundcard.
Equalizer APO is EQ/PEQ and crossover software also has functionality to be a convolver for FIR-filters and has VST support.
Digital Room Correction Designer for creating room correction filters, playing music through the filters, Simple Automated IR Measuring Tool.
This form that is a guide with some scripts and guides for using Digital Room Correction Designer.
CamillaDSP cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
JRiver Media Center supports crossovers for Windows, macOS, and Linux with up to 32 channels of DSP. Besides its own filters, it also supports convolution filters from Audiolense, Acourate, RePhase, and DRC with automatic sample rate matching. It supports VST2 and VST3 plugins. For Windows it can be setup as an audio device so all Windows sound is routed through JRiver Media Center's DSP. It can also accept external audio via ASIO for processing.

For creating filters:
Audiolense a state of the art solution for digital crossovers, frequency correction and true time domain correction.
Acourate and AcourateConvolver includes all functions required for generating audio filters of the highest quality.
rePhase a free FIR generation tool for building fully linear-phase active crossovers with arbitrary slopes.
DRC generates the FIR correction filters.

Plugins host:
Kushview Element acts similarly to a mixing board in a DAW by hosting VST, VST3, AXX, AU plugins with an easily understandable GUI. Within it you can host additional plugins like:
  • X-MCFX: multichannel .wav plugin THIS IS THE XO PART
  • Sir3: reverb convolution known for zero latency and good updates across OSs. There are free options out there like MConvoltionEZ & XvolverEssential
  • TDR Nova: great low latency parametric EQ with compressor/expander. Other free EQ options are MEqualizer, QRange, Marvel GEQ, Toned.
  • Voxengo Sound Delay: for setting individual delay for drivers/subs

Linux
Hang Loose Convolver (HLC) is a specially designed stereo and multichannel convolver to compare “level matched” convolution filters in real time with “instant switching” between filters.
Digital Room Correction Designer for creating room correction filters, playing music through the filters, Simple Automated IR Measuring Tool.
This form that is a guide with some scripts and guides for using Digital Room Correction Designer.
CamillaDSP cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
Pulseaudio Crossover Rack to design/implement crossovers w/ linux computer w/ a multi-channel sound card and using Pulseaudio.
ConvolverVST is a convolution plug-in.
VSTHost for loading VST Effects (also called "plugins").
JRiver Media Center supports crossovers for Windows, macOS, and Linux with up to 32 channels of DSP. Besides its own filters, it also supports convolution filters from Audiolense, Acourate, RePhase, and DRC with automatic sample rate matching. It supports VST2 and VST3 plugins. For Windows it can be setup as an audio device so all Windows sound is routed through JRiver Media Center's DSP. It can also accept external audio via ASIO for processing.

Plugins host:
Kushview Element (Download here.)acts similarly to a mixing board in a DAW by hosting VST, VST3, AXX, AU plugins with an easily understandable GUI. Within it you can host additional plugins like:
  • Sir3: reverb convolution known for zero latency and good updates across OSs. There are free options out there like MConvoltionEZ & XvolverEssential
  • TDR Nova: great low latency parametric EQ with compressor/expander. Other free EQ options are MEqualizer, QRange, Marvel GEQ, Toned.

macOS

Plugins host:
Kushview Element acts similarly to a mixing board in a DAW by hosting VST, VST3, AXX, AU plugins with an easily understandable GUI. Within it you can host additional plugins like:
  • Pro-Q3 for Crossover with Convology XT for FIR.
Raspberry Pie:

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I think you have to differentiate the software here.

Equalizer APO is EQ/PEQ and crossover software.

^ These can apply created filters.

Audiolense a state of the art solution for digital crossovers, frequency correction and true time domain correction.
Acourate includes all functions required for generating audio filters of the highest quality.
rePhase a free FIR generation tool for building fully linear-phase active crossovers with arbitrary slopes.

^ These create filters.

They're not the same.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you have to differentiate the software here.

^ These can apply created filters.

Acourate includes all functions required for generating audio filters of the highest quality.

^ These create filters.

They're not the same.
OK I edited and added titles. Thanks. :D

johnp98

DRC: Digital Room Correction - by Denis Sbragion is a free yet super powerful tool for FIR and IIR filter creation. Need to edit the scripts and parameters yourself though, which can be daunting.
There is Digital Room Correction Designer is also free tries to automate and streamline DRC process which is quite good, but does not unlock the full potential and customizability of DRC.

Finally, there is this form that is a guide with some scripts and guides for using DRC.
I am working though it and working on creating some filters with DRC and it seems very powerful, but certainly a time investment to understand all that is possible with it. Overall I am very impressed with it, and think it could do quite a bit more than Dirac (and its free), but I have not found much guidance (or I am just not smart enough) on exactly what parameters to adjust outside of the standard templates that it comes with.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any suggestions are welcome. Post suggestions here. I will gather the details and add them. Thanks. :D This will be organized as results come in.

Good reference literature on crossovers:
Phase, Time and Distortion in Loudspeakers.
Thoughts About Crossovers.

Windows
For applying created filters:

EKIO a Loudspeaker Management Application, create a crossover for your full-range speakers, integrate a subwoofer and equalize the system.

For creating filters:
Acourate and AcourateConvolver includes all functions required for generating audio filters of the highest quality.
Equalizer APO also has the functionality to be an convolver for FIR-filters and has VST support, not to forget. :)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
For linux you'd mostly use the same tools as for room EQ as listed in the other thread. Pulseaudio Crossover Rack is the only crossover-specific one I can think of, providing a GUI to set up the channel mapping and filters.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
DRC: Digital Room Correction - by Denis Sbragion is a free yet super powerful tool for FIR and IIR filter creation. Need to edit the scripts and parameters yourself though, which can be daunting.
There is Digital Room Correction Designer is also free tries to automate and streamline DRC process which is quite good, but does not unlock the full potential and customizability of DRC.

Finally, there is this form that is a guide with some scripts and guides for using DRC.
I am working though it and working on creating some filters with DRC and it seems very powerful, but certainly a time investment to understand all that is possible with it. Overall I am very impressed with it, and think it could do quite a bit more than Dirac (and its free), but I have not found much guidance (or I am just not smart enough) on exactly what parameters to adjust outside of the standard templates that it comes with.
OKidoki. I added those. Thanks. :D

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For many years, my main system's "crossover/DRC renderer" was a standalone XP machine running ConvolverVST in a VSThost shell. Filters and DRC generated with (((Acourate))).
Currently migrating to Linux(RPi4)...
I added the two links you provided. I hope the description is OK. Thanksss. :D

HighImpactAV

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OKidoki. I added JRiver to all 3 categories. It appears to be comprehensive software. :D

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Kushview Element for Mac/Windows is a brilliant app that acts similarly to a mixing board in a DAW by hosting VST, VST3, AXX, AU plugins with an easily understandable GUI. Within it you can host additional plugins like:

Top Bottom