• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Critical (Best) Music Tracks for Speaker and Room EQ Testing

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Baldieri M-48 made out of forged carbon today... I love (large) mechanical watches and keep a decent little collection. :)
baldieri.jpg

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn’t realize “forged” carbon fiber was a thing. Then I remembered this video.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I ran carbon fiber in-line skates and that stuff is tough. Used to jump off 4 foot drops and carry on and no breakage other than scrapes sometimes.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I googled it and found many versions and your version is rare'er I think. What does this cost? It's gorgeous and carbon fiber strap stuff I love.
[so sorry posted this accidentally in the wrong topic... will move... they go for US$1,200 last I checked when they are available. It is incredibly well built. It is bulky, 48mm and pretty tall, but I like it like that. :)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,

Just for your reference, recently I finally started uploading a few of my video(-audio) mp4 files on YouTube for very limited sharing purposes among ASR members with "no-comment" options, even though I know little about audio codec/compression on YouTube, and I know nothing about internet access environment of the audiences who would view/hear the YouTube video clips.

Of course, only I myself can compare the sound quality of the YouTube clip vs. my original mp4 video file under my very fast "optical fiber" internet access environment, and I found "so far so good", just enough SQ, for my very limited sharing purposes.

I still do hope, however, that people would find/purchase the intact music tracks by themselves if he/she would be seriously interested in my suggested music tracks. Or, I can consider some alternative way of sharing intact tracks if people would personally PM contact me writing their wish.

I totally depend on YouTube's system for IPR (intellectual property rights) clearance on my uploaded video clips, and therefore I cannot guarantee how long my video clips would survive there.

I would highly appreciate if I could hear your impression especially regarding SQ of my YouTube clips.

Please refer to my posts #750 through #753 on my project thread.
Please refer to my post #760 on my project thread.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity, what were the "female pop rock" tracks that Harman was using? I don't think I would categorize any of the tracks listed above as "female pop rock". I mean, are we talking Madonna's "Material Girl" or Miley Cyrus's "Wrecking Ball" or something more mellow? I have the impression that dense, messy styles of music win here over stripped down, "simple" music
Should be Tracy Chapman - Fast Car:

Programs With Wider and Flatter Spectrums Improve Listener Performance (Why Tracy Chapman is as Good as Pink Noise)

Spectrum analysis was performed on the different program selections to see if this could explain the strong effect of program on listener performance. The 1/3-octave spectrum of each program was plotted based on a long-term average taken over the entire length of the loop. When we looked at the spectrums of the programs it became clear that this was a significant predictor of how well listeners would perform their task.

Slide 22 plots the average spectrum of four groups of program (5 programs in each group) rank ordered (from highest to lowest) according to the listener performance scores they produced. It clearly shows that the programs with the flattest and most extended spectrums (e.g. pink noise, pop/rock, full orchestra) were better suited for identifying spectral distortions. After pink noise, Tracy Chapman (program 2 in the above graph) had among the widest and flattest spectrums measured, and along with pink noise (program 1) registered the highest listener performance scores. Programs that had narrow band spectra with limited energy above and below 500 Hz (speech, solo instruments, small jazz and classical ensembles) concentrated in group 4 were less suited for identifying spectral distortions. While these groupings had some of the most musically entertaining selections, in the end, they were not good signals for detecting and characterizing spectral distortions in audio components.

Source: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2010/03/method-for-training-listeners-and.html

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Programs With Wider and Flatter Spectrums Improve Listener Performance (Why Tracy Chapman is as Good as Pink Noise)

Spectrum analysis was performed on the different program selections to see if this could explain the strong effect of program on listener performance. The 1/3-octave spectrum of each program was plotted based on a long-term average taken over the entire length of the loop. When we looked at the spectrums of the programs it became clear that this was a significant predictor of how well listeners would perform their task.

Slide 22 plots the average spectrum of four groups of program (5 programs in each group) rank ordered (from highest to lowest) according to the listener performance scores they produced. It clearly shows that the programs with the flattest and most extended spectrums (e.g. pink noise, pop/rock, full orchestra) were better suited for identifying spectral distortions. After pink noise, Tracy Chapman (program 2 in the above graph) had among the widest and flattest spectrums measured, and along with pink noise (program 1) registered the highest listener performance scores. Programs that had narrow band spectra with limited energy above and below 500 Hz (speech, solo instruments, small jazz and classical ensembles) concentrated in group 4 were less suited for identifying spectral distortions. While these groupings had some of the most musically entertaining selections, in the end, they were not good signals for detecting and characterizing spectral distortions in audio components.

Source: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2010/03/method-for-training-listeners-and.html

Interesting. I can honestly say I have never ever even once considered Pink Noise as something I should use in an audition. But since the topic here is about training listeners for better performance in noticing differences. So I guess it becomes how you are trained and what you are trained on...

I am pretty accurate (especially earlier in the day) at identifying the difference between -let's say- a ~256k VBR file and a 16/44 FLAC - if *I* I give you the tracks I use for that exercise, of which I have three. I need to enjoy the music to pay attention.

As to the Tracy Chapman track here, I like it, but I could not use it to establish such a difference - not enough percussion transients, although I am sure those that love the song may be able to use the acoustic guitar...? I don't know. I guess if you love it and it makes you score 75% when detecting such a difference, it's all good. The big question I have is if the same track that alow me to tell apart 256kVBR from genuine 16/44 also allows me to establish a difference or preference between *equipment*.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am pretty accurate (especially earlier in the day)
A math teacher used to give out candy suckers for the ~8 am class before a math exam. He said on average the class average can go up by several percent at best but every percent mattered. Said we where lucky to have the best time for studying math. So I don't doubt your hearing is better early in the day. It makes sense to think a fresh mind after sleeping is going to be sharp.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best time is 3am. I believe it’s even been proven. Circadian rhythm and the evolutionary pressure to be alerted to night time threats.

On the topic of pink noise, it’s the most classical test signal to find any room hotspots and issues with your channel balance and even phase during the days you could misconnect your speaker wires out of phase.

I’ve not heard it being used to compare speakers before either but it’s definitely very popular to check for setup issues.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The best time is 3am. I believe it’s even been proven. Circadian rhythm and the evolutionary pressure to be alerted to night time threats.

On the topic of pink noise, it’s the most classical test signal to find any room hotspots and issues with your channel balance and even phase during the days you could misconnect your speaker wires out of phase.

I’ve not heard it being used to compare speakers before either but it’s definitely very popular to check for setup issues.
I sometimes use a ~1.5V DC AA battery for driver polarity right off the disconnected wires that usually feed to the amp's rear panel. A simple little click does it all and one can see and hear it. I can't remember what pink noise does when out of phase. Sounds weird? I never use it out of phase.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sometimes use a ~1.5V DC AA battery for driver polarity right off the disconnected wires that usually feed to the amp's rear panel. A simple little click does it all and one can see and hear it. I can't remember what pink noise does when out of phase. Sounds weird? I never use it out of phase.
Yeah it sounds like no central image and very diffuse. In phase there is a central clearly defined ball of sound.

Alan parsons test CD sound check 2 actually goes over it and tells you what to expect.

Even the out of ohase track helps you to find any hot spots and usually toeing out the speakers helps with that.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A math teacher used to give out candy suckers for the ~8 am class before a math exam. He said on average the class average can go up by several percent at best but every percent mattered. Said we where lucky to have the best time for studying math. So I don't doubt your hearing is better early in the day. It makes sense to think a fresh mind after sleeping is going to be sharp.

I very often read and listen to music before I go to sleep after my work day. Not sure if others experience it, but then as I get up very early in the morning to make myself an espresso and push "play" again, I am surprised by how much louder the music sounds than it did the night before.

Which reminds me of something else... when people talk about tracks and test equipment at >95dB SPL... and I think "it's nice your euipment messures OK at that level... but never mind your equipment, mind your hearing... you have like 30mins at 95dB before your hering may be damaged...". Who established 95dB is the ideal SPL to test stuff?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I very often read and listen to music before I go to sleep after my work day. Not sure if others experience it, but then as I get up very early in the morning to make myself an espresso and push "play" again, I am surprised by how much louder the music sounds than it did the night before.
I pretty much push the amp to near max morning, noon and night with my Sennheiser HD598SR headphones. LoL. :D
Which reminds me of something else... when people talk about tracks and test equipment at >95dB SPL... and I think "it's nice your euipment messures OK at that level... but never mind your equipment, mind your hearing... you have like 30mins at 95dB before your hering may be damaged...". Who established 95dB is the ideal SPL to test stuff?
I have no idea what 95dB SPL sounds like in music listening terms.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor

Fascinating! Thanks.

JLGF1

Sounds very dynamic and well-recorded to me...ymmv.

Peter Gabriel The Court (Bright-Side Mix).jpg

ExPerfectionist

I recently upgraded my speakers to the Ascend Sierra-LX x3 for my fronts. With my new speakers, I wanted to expand my playlist content a little, and did some searching for tracks to test vocals, soundstage, drums, and other various sonic characteristics.

I wanted to share my finds, so here's my Tidal playlist for speaker/headphone test and show-off tracks, including some from a Spotify playlist, a bunch of my favs, and a bunch from some of the various lists I came across. Genres range from jazz to classical, indie, oldies and classic rock, 80s, grunge, and R&B and hip hop. Not much heavy metal, not really my jam personally...

Some of the collections I borrowed from:

What are some of your favorite test tracks and albums? And tracks for enjoying and showing off how good your system sounds?

Top Bottom