• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crinacle: Why (most) Ratings Suck: An Analysis

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an article purely on the execution of rating and ranking systems of various websites, though of course also critiquing the overly-positive vibe of many publications that may be leading our hobby to its downfall if not corrected.

TL;DR
You gotta read between the lines.

WhatHiFi: Statistically, only 5-star awards are worthy of consideration.

SoundGuys: A score of 7.5/10 is statistically average, and only those rated 8/10 are truly significantly ahead of the pack (top 25%).

Headfonics: Virtually nothing is rated under 6/10, and the average is set at roughly 8.4/10. The worst of the bunch in terms of rating skew and bias.

Headphonesty: The best of the bunch, but still terrible. 4/5 stars is the average rating, so really only those rated at 4.5 stars and above are worthy of consideration.

MajorHiFi: Distribution puts a “B” grade at the median, with the highest grade being “A”. Statistically speaking, only A-rated models are worthy of consideration.

https://crinacle.com/2021/07/06/why-most-ratings-suck-an-analysis/

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://crinacle.com/2021/06/20/the-update-where-the-headphone-rankings-get-shuffled/

He looks at the stats of his own ratings here.

1625522641412.png

1625522654333.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Re-ranking past headphones to keep a normal distribution seems odd, but I do appreciate that Crinacle is trying to maintain the overall value of the list to consumers.
Well I don't know I'd consider it odd. Up evaluating the situation he realized he had the same problem as others. Too narrow a range. Of course mass online rating systems seem to be headed for the Up or Down vote format. One bit ranking that works like DSD instead of multi-bit I suppose.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"WhatHiFi: Statistically, only 5-star awards are worthy of consideration."

I routinely read their reviews. Their ratings have zero meanings.

"WhatHiFi: Statistically, only 5-star awards are worthy of consideration... and pay no attention to our tendency to give 5-star ratings only to products from UK brands."

:):confused:

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I take audio equipment very seriously so I actually read the full review and don't rely on ratings. I do look at scores for video games.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@pozz - Can you enable the export of data from the Power BI report? Ideally to an .xlsx with embedded hyperlinks to the review articles? (or maybe just PM me a copy).

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@pozz - Can you enable the export of data from the Power BI report? Ideally to an .xlsx with embedded hyperlinks to the review articles? (or maybe just PM me a copy).
I'll PM you.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There doesn't appear to be an ISO standard for Panthers, so I took a look at this thread... ASR Panthers | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

...and came up with the following Panther rankings:

1 = Golfing, Soccer, Saluting Soldier
2 = Lounging, Sitting
3 = Shrugging, Shrugging Postman, Chilling
4 = Pewter (Worlds Worst Cook), Shrugging & Missing Arm (I can't find a picture of this one)
5 = Headless, Piggybank

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There doesn't appear to be an ISO standard for Panthers, so I took a look at this thread... ASR Panthers | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
It is too good for ISO standards. ISO standards were created by a committee and we all know how that turns out. Panther ratings in sharp contrast was created by just me so objectively, it is a million times better....

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"WhatHiFi: Statistically, only 5-star awards are worthy of consideration."

I routinely read their reviews. Their ratings have zero meanings.
Don’t they mean that the marketing people at the Acme Cable Company bought the reviewer lunch? Unless they are Naim of course, then it’s 5 stars all round, no lunch required.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this may say more about the ellusiveness of the Pewter and Shrugging & Missing Arm panthers than Amir's Panther-o-meter...

1625597279943.png

If we group the 3rd and 4th rank together (they are all friends, after all), then the 2nd, 3rd/4th and 5th groupings all account for roughly 29% of reviews each and the 1st rank being reserved for 14% of the 49 entries, which seems nice!

There are only 7 data points for second Panthers with EQ - 4 with 1st rank and 3 with 2nd rank.

Note: Reviews and headphone measurements with no panther assigned were ignored (e.g. HD600, initial tests with GRAS, etc.).

Top Bottom