• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Creative SXFI AMP Review (headphone adapter)

wwenze

Major Contributor
Well their own "online marketeers" are claiming the app version performs worse than the hardware version because of... some reason. So whatever stored on the phone may not be the same as what the hardware does.

Last edited:
That's what they claim, but I cannot detect any noticeable difference.
Anybody who wants to prove that with measurements?
Just using an usb interface to input the sxfi signal, once out of the smartphone (app) and once out of the sxfi amp.
With a program like audacity it should be easy to record the incoming signal.

The headphone profile is stored on the smartphone and will be transferred to the amp, I doubt the amp will alter the files themselves.

Last edited:
Edit: I tried different Headphones, but with all of them the "bose qc20" profile leads to the most open, airy sound.
Unfortunately it lacks much bass and the eq can't really solve the problem.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This unit is currently on sale at Creative US for $60. Click the buy link

Archaea

I think it's worth pointing out they've made some definite improvements on this since launch. The 3D algorithm works much better now. It's actually enjoyable at this point (when I didn't think it was at launch).
There is an iphone app now (instead of just android), as well as a Nice Windows 10 app. (and android).
It's easily worth $60 bucks IMO. If for no other reason than it eliminates static or EMI for PC gaming, and works with headsets (mic in and headphone out on same minijack).

Last edited:

amanieux

sxfi android app was upgaded this month, no idea if something has improved or if it is just bug fixes

citays

It's on sale for $59.99 on Creative's website, just picked one up. Wonder if a V2 is in the works with the price drop?

citays

I don't think so, because only the bundle with the trio aurvana se is offered for 69€, the sxfi amp alone still costs 89€.
Screenshot_20211023-112019-098.png

rxp

Intrigued at third gen. Unless it has head tracking everything else can just be done with software.

I like the idea of the sound bar with it built in. Basically a cheap Smyth realizer. Still too expensive and I wish they'd release a standalone TV version. Spatial audio on tvOS15 has really quenched my thirst on all this but SXFI is by far the more realistic

MCH

Major Contributor
wow this thing could turn an elephant deaf. was testing it with my HD600 and getting a more than decent volume with the software volume to the max and then relized the hardware volume is independent and was still around the middle...

In any case, i dont think i'll find a use for the sxfi mode as i only listen to music, has anyone found a way to deactivate the button? it is rather big and easy to press inadvertently.
thanks

MCH

Major Contributor
I am not sure it was mentioned, but the sxfi amp has 10 band EQ built in that is independent of the sxfi mode.

sool

Would this Creative sxfi amp be good enough as a rather inexpensive ($59) USB computer DAC which I could use to connect my PC to my integrated amplifier? I've read that it has 2V output so hopefully it is fine? Are there any better other options in this price range? Thanks! :)

DavidS

I am not sure it was mentioned, but the sxfi amp has 10 band EQ built in that is independent of the sxfi mode.
Is that GEQ which you use by dragging the frequency response curve or can you use PEQ? i couldn’t see any documentation.

MCH

Major Contributor
Is that GEQ which you use by dragging the frequency response curve or can you use PEQ? i couldn’t see any documentation.
Hi David, it is 10 band GEQ:
Screenshot_20211125-080653_SXFI App.jpg

You set it in the app and it gets loaded to the amp so it will take effect when you use it with other devices and other apps

A new head mapping is noted with "gen3", but why hasn't creative mentioned it anywhere?

I get the best results with "meeaudio planamic" and "bose qc20" profiles even with different headphones.
Try sony mdr 7506 and v-moda crossfade m80 profiles, you won't notice ANY difference, must be a bug.

Last edited:
Top Bottom