• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Creative SXFI AMP Review (headphone adapter)

Ufasas

got sxfi for 45.00! a bit used, but clean, can;t wait to test :B

staticV3

Master Contributor
Make sure you reset it in the SXFI app in case the previous owner loaded a custom HRTF onto it

chi2

Forum Donor
Fetched one on sale from Creative Europe for 60 Euros. As a dac dongle it is quite ok. The volume adjustment and start-stop-next-previous-track steering work well on the iPhone and come handy. The effect of the SXFI feature, however, is mostly weird. It creates in fact some sort of out of the head localisation but at the expense of high levels of distortion and an often boxy, screetchy and aggressive sound. But sometimes, with a certain song or some spoken words, out of the blue, the effect is truly amazing, only to be mediocre, at best, again with the next song or speech.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Fetched one on sale from Creative Europe for 60 Euros. As a dac dongle it is quite ok. The volume adjustment and start-stop-next-previous-track steering work well on the iPhone and come handy. The effect of the SXFI feature, however, is mostly weird. It creates in fact some sort of out of the head localisation but at the expense of high levels of distortion and an often boxy, screetchy and aggressive sound. But sometimes, with a certain song or some spoken words, out of the blue, the effect is truly amazing, only to be mediocre, at best, again with the next song or speech.
Try sxfi with 5.1 movies/tv shows.
Which cable are you using to connect to iphone?

chi2

Forum Donor
@guddu
sxfi with 5.1 movies didn't convince me either. The soundstage is smaller/more closed in. It mostly sounds like being played over (rather poor) speakers in a 2.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 m box.

Why should the cable make a difference? As long as it is a lightning to USB-C decoding OTG cable the results, in theory, are the same. They are in practice, too :), with the three different cables I'm using (dd hifi, Penon, Meenova).

Guddu

@guddu
sxfi with 5.1 movies didn't convince me either. The soundstage is smaller/more closed in. It mostly sounds like being played over (rather poor) speakers in a 2.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 m box.

Why should the cable make a difference? As long as it is a lightning to USB-C decoding OTG cable the results, in theory, are the same. They are in practice, too :), with the three different cables I'm using (dd hifi, Penon, Meenova).
I wasn’t asking about cable because of any that reason, was just asking because I am looking for one that works.
I somehow like multichannel thing it does from sxfi on.
For stereo, it’s like my previous S9 pro (without sxfi) with slightly less volume.

chi2

Forum Donor
I wasn’t asking about cable because of any that reason, was just asking because I am looking for one that works.
I somehow like multichannel thing it does from sxfi on.
For stereo, it’s like my previous S9 pro (without sxfi) with slightly less volume.
Ah, I see. The Meenova was the least expensive but the build quality is poor and I don't recommend it. The other two are nicely built but almost three times as expensive. I purchased a fourth one by UGREEN that was said to be a mfi (Apple) certified lightning to USB-C OTG cable, but that didn't work at all.

Guddu

Ah, I see. The Meenova was the least expensive but the build quality is poor and I don't recommend it. The other two are nicely built but almost three times as expensive. I purchased a fourth one by UGREEN that was said to be a mfi (Apple) certified lightning to USB-C OTG cable, but that didn't work at all.
Is it the one?

USB c to Lightning Cable,TXTECH usb C to Lightning[MFi Certified]PD Fast Charge Cord data sync Nylon Cable for iPhone 11 pro max/XS max/XR/X/8Plus/iPad and Other usb C to lightning Devices-Grey 0.5m https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YDP5KQ3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QG8949CFX9GQ2XCXP8Q9

chi2

Forum Donor
Don't know that cable and producer. In my experience mfi is not enough. The crucial point is that it is a "decoding dac" cable.

Ufasas

Got on Saturday, i'd say my PC with windows 10 runs it well, good in games, pin pointing steps and gun fires/grenades was good in csgo, i liked classical EQ in music, flat EQ in games, yet to test Game EQ in games. Happy, that it recognized headphones with microphone when i used it during voice communications, voice wasn't quiet, my friend said i sounded drunk when i came back after work, but it was clear anyway, so a plus here too.

On a laptop In windows 11 sxfi control app didn't react to EQ presets, or it was very mild boost, maybe i need to return to windows 10 on laptop :S

On android 9 and android 11 phones (LG v30 and LG v50) music sounded spectacularly (LG internal quad dacs are fine, but they are so quiet...), interestingly EQ with +4.0 on Bass and +4.5 on Treble (Game EQ) section kept the guitars and drums most tasteful, and vocals weren't overwhelmed. I had volume 100 on the phone, plus the button '+' on amp gave more volume on top, i was worried to damage my hearing, haha (LG's quad is at 75 volume max, and still quiet).

AKG k702 with LGs: i liked EQ with +6.0 on Bass and +3.0 on Treble the most, Game EQ was 2nd good EQ with these cans.

AKG N700NC MC2 with LGs: without any EQs sound was enjoyable with any genre (thrash metal, psychedelic rock, jazz, melodic death metal), i wasn't sure if i want to keep listening with these headphones via Bluetooth as they are BT, or with cable from now on, because i liked this combo sxfi amp + n700nc m2 a lot actually, no fatigue.

Super X-fi button didn't impress me on any setup at all, rather use it as off + use EQ, sound is changed unpleasantly with it on.

Headphones tested: Philips X2HR (with OneOdio cable with mic on Desktop PC, and no mic cable on laptop/LG v30/LG v50), AKG k702, AKG N700NC MC2 with 3.5mm cable.

Attachments

• 20220425_165309.jpg
    20220425_165309.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 20220425_171108.jpg
    20220425_171108.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 20220425_171547.jpg
    20220425_171547.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 20220425_173231.jpg
    20220425_173231.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 145

CaseyBill

Grabbed a B-Stock version of this for 45 euro (incl. post) on the Germany creative website. Just looking for something I can plug into a laptop or phone that has a mic pass through so I can take it to work for video calls with an ok DAC. Interested to see how it works out.

ZööZ

I got two of these yesterday from B-stock and left channel cuts out from slightest touch of the plug on one of them and couldn't get either one to work with LG V40 or Lenovo P11 Pro TAB, worked fine with samsung phones and pc. (Needed this beacause my V40 3.5mm out has started to cutting out after 3years of daily heavy use)

ZööZ

Got it working on v40 last night, just plugged it in that time so not sure what did the trick.

Works well but seems to drain battery quite quickly, and gets rather warm when in pocket (cools down quickly when in open air).

There is a very slight hiss from my iems which was absent when using v40's own hp out, didn't notice this with other headphones I tested.

Ufasas

No hiss listening experience lately: one for night listening (mc2), and one for day listening (k702), I can't listen to N700NC MC2 over BT interface anymore, with sxfi both AKG cans sound just much better than any BT headphone i had. Cans + sxfi + smartphone = very enjoyable sound, cans + sxfi + laptop = again very enjoyable, cans on BT mode + smartphone/laptop = less enjoyable lately

Attachments

• 20220512_211127.jpg
    20220512_211127.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 86

Dazzman

No hiss listening experience lately: one for night listening (mc2), and one for day listening (k702), I can't listen to N700NC MC2 over BT interface anymore, with sxfi both AKG cans sound just much better than any BT headphone i had. Cans + sxfi + smartphone = very enjoyable sound, cans + sxfi + laptop = again very enjoyable, cans on BT mode + smartphone/laptop = less enjoyable

I think you’re the person I’ve been searching for for weeks lol. I’ve asked questions on Reddit but no one’s been able to answer so far

I’ve got a set of N700NCs too, and an SXFI amp (also X2HR which I think I saw you mention in another comment)

I’ve been asking people whether it’s safe to use an amp with the N700s because their max stated input is fairly low? But it sounds like you’ve been using them with the SXFI amp. Have you any tips at all on how to avoid risking damaging the headphones?

Also have you been using the N700s with the SXFI amp with the headphones powered on or passive?

Sorry for the abundance of questions lol, I just love my N700NCs and don’t want to risk damaging them. But I also love my SXFI amp so would love to try them out together

Ufasas

I think you’re the person I’ve been searching for for weeks lol. I’ve asked questions on Reddit but no one’s been able to answer so far

I’ve got a set of N700NCs too, and an SXFI amp (also X2HR which I think I saw you mention in another comment)

I’ve been asking people whether it’s safe to use an amp with the N700s because their max stated input is fairly low? But it sounds like you’ve been using them with the SXFI amp. Have you any tips at all on how to avoid risking damaging the headphones?

Also have you been using the N700s with the SXFI amp with the headphones powered on or passive?

Sorry for the abundance of questions lol, I just love my N700NCs and don’t want to risk damaging them. But I also love my SXFI amp so would love to try them out together
That's what forums are for, to ask, to discuss. I use like this: N700nc m2 w/ AKG cable (Bluetooth off, battery charged or discharged, doesn't matter) + sxfi +connecting sxfi to smartphone (android 9 or android 11) or laptop (in SXFI App (mobile or windows 10/11 version) I am switching between Flat / Classical / Game EQ presets, whichever more comfortable for long listening, when i get tired of boosted bass, i use Flat preset). I don't know if headphone gets damaged this way (only my hearing hehe), just n700nc battery life became shorter after a year of charging / discharging cycles, i rarely dropped it on floor, was pretty careful, so there are no cracklings, no weird buzzing when using headphones. I like n700nc m2 + sxfi amp before sleep (weirdly - with Game preset, but if i game i use Flat), a good noise isolating experience while watching a movie or listening to music on a laptop before sleep. I don't use SXFI amp on PC anymore, just laptop/smartphone, cause I have more juicy discrete sound cards

Dazzman

That's what forums are for, to ask, to discuss. I use like this: N700nc m2 w/ AKG cable (Bluetooth off, battery charged or discharged, doesn't matter) + sxfi +connecting sxfi to smartphone (android 9 or android 11) or laptop (in SXFI App (mobile or windows 10/11 version) I am switching between Flat / Classical / Game EQ presets, whichever more comfortable for long listening, when i get tired of boosted bass, i use Flat preset). I don't know if headphone gets damaged this way (only my hearing hehe), just n700nc battery life became shorter after a year of charging / discharging cycles, i rarely dropped it on floor, was pretty careful, so there are no cracklings, no weird buzzing when using headphones. I like n700nc m2 + sxfi amp before sleep (weirdly - with Game preset, but if i game i use Flat), a good noise isolating experience while watching a movie or listening to music on a laptop before sleep. I don't use SXFI amp on PC anymore, just laptop/smartphone, cause I have more juicy discrete sound cards
Thanks for the reply. I actually tried my N700NCs last night with my apple lightning to 3.5mm dongle, because I know that adapter is very low power so I felt safe experimenting lol. And there was no issue at all (also it’s a great cheap DAC - I tried it with my X2HR too and it made a surprising difference)

I’ve yet to try the N700s with the SXFI amp though. So when you use them with the amp, you also use them with the circuitry turned off? (So with the power button off - so no ANC either)

I’m just curious because that’s the only issue I have with the headphones. I absolutely love them but I sometimes go weeks or months where I don’t really get chance to listen to anything or game. So I hate the idea of coming back one day to a battery that won’t hold a charge. But because we can use them without being powered on, I’m wondering how they sound when EQ’d with the SXFI amp.

I actually really like the sound of the N700s with the power off, in certain situations. For gaming the bass can be amazing. But obviously for music they’re kind of a bizarre sound, obviously with the power off the headphones EQ isn’t active

So yeah have you used them powered off entirely but with the SXFI amp and EQ’d? That’d be amazing to know if that works. I’d have peace of mind knowing that even when I can’t power them on anymore (due to failing battery or damage) I could just plug in the amp and carry on using them

Ufasas

Thanks for the reply. I actually tried my N700NCs last night with my apple lightning to 3.5mm dongle, because I know that adapter is very low power so I felt safe experimenting lol. And there was no issue at all (also it’s a great cheap DAC - I tried it with my X2HR too and it made a surprising difference)

I’ve yet to try the N700s with the SXFI amp though. So when you use them with the amp, you also use them with the circuitry turned off? (So with the power button off - so no ANC either)

I’m just curious because that’s the only issue I have with the headphones. I absolutely love them but I sometimes go weeks or months where I don’t really get chance to listen to anything or game. So I hate the idea of coming back one day to a battery that won’t hold a charge. But because we can use them without being powered on, I’m wondering how they sound when EQ’d with the SXFI amp.

I actually really like the sound of the N700s with the power off, in certain situations. For gaming the bass can be amazing. But obviously for music they’re kind of a bizarre sound, obviously with the power off the headphones EQ isn’t active

So yeah have you used them powered off entirely but with the SXFI amp and EQ’d? That’d be amazing to know if that works. I’d have peace of mind knowing that even when I can’t power them on anymore (due to failing battery or damage) I could just plug in the amp and carry on using them
Yeah, nc700 m2 completely off, just the 3.5mm cable + sxfi + sxfi app / sxfi control + EQ'ed by your preference (also i did headmapping with phone camera and sxfi app before everything) , using headphones this way outside in the streets with a smartphone also delivers good (not excellent, but good for price) isolation (as in BT mode, not sure which way is better for isolation hough, happy with both ways) if road is not very busy with traffic

Dazzman

Yeah, nc700 m2 completely off, just the 3.5mm cable + sxfi + sxfi app / sxfi control + EQ'ed by your preference (also i did headmapping with phone camera and sxfi app before everything) , using headphones this way outside in the streets with a smartphone also delivers good (not excellent, but good for price) isolation (as in BT mode, not sure which way is better for isolation hough, happy with both ways) if road is not very busy with traffic
That’s brilliant, thanks a lot. I had been eyeing up non-Bluetooth AKG sets like the 361/371 just for the simplicity of no batteries or electronics to worry about. But this way I’ve got the best of both worlds. Going to experiment with them and the amp soon

d4n69

Hello guys, i have a audeze isine 10 iem, and now i'm deciding to buy a dac/amp for my phone, currently i was looking for this SXFI AMP or the tempotec sonata HD both at the same price 50€ new, now i would like to know which one is worth to buy? thanks

Top Bottom