• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Creative AE-9

Roma_V

Hi,

Earlier I only read this forum, but I had a problem with this device Creative AE-9 and I contacted technical support, the answer that I received, let's say, surprised me very much. I post my correspondence with technical support:

Roma:

Hi,
I have some problem with Sound Blaster AE-9.
Unfortunately I broke the HDMI cable, I can replace the Sound Blaster AE-9 HDMI with regular HDMI cable?
Thanks.
Best regards,
Roma.

Stefani:

Dear Roma,
Thank you for contacting Creative Labs.
Please be informed that you might be referring to the ACM Link Port for the ACM.
Unfortunately, as this cable is directly attached into the Audio Control Model (and cannot be removed) and goes into the ACM link port, which is designed to be only connected with the Sound Blaster AE-9 Audio Control Module (ACM), it won’t be possible to replace this cable.

Yf1GYZVlbcGlslNIjZOeEb4eWU4onLhlOLfz2WOTL2P4kjfKQxO2S2iML9pP9FtAwt8hcC0tti5pyyzLQmxqcMNbQi1y7mgaM1yUCnh_xBew22YCsy-SI5FFLys1zCsSgKYDzoB1EtJa6kr4V1e_UAMxjwBzjwMZzzeTBg=s0-d-e1-ft
hSLA4ycb9_7mB8yZWJxphEsJ-aZf8-zKtucMhzoVJmMYBlNWUElqbJts3u_Fa-0zzQTrJAtPrjg3gaRQcVupBCVPK2xedwGb2i-3XGXZ0t2Q4NfJ796u2d_RQoeuDvP6C-UxmcfnGljbInbXAPWPrc4Y7j9qMuOMIHdnrw=s0-d-e1-ft

If the ACM link cable is broken as you have mentioned, you should replace the whole Audio control model (if available). You can provide us with your Country details, so we can check the availability and shipping options if you want us to.
If you require further assistance, please reply to this email and we will get back to you.
Regards,
Stefani
Creative Labs Pte Ltd
Worldwide Customer Response
Thank you.

Roma:

Dear Stefani,
I have an attached image of the ACM inside and as we can see this cable can be disconnected.
Product-AE-9-ACD-Inside-Components.png

I repeat my question, is the cable pinout the same as a regular HDMI cable?
I hope to hear an answer of my own, and not a proposal to change ACM.
Best regards,
Roma.

Stefani:

Dear Roma,
Thank you for your reply.
Please be informed that the ACM is not recommended and not intended for replacing the ACM link cable. It was designed as non-detachable, so replacing it with regular HDMI cable is not recommended and not tested. In addition the ACM link port in the sound card is a propriety port that is designed to be only connected with the Sound Blaster AE-9 Audio Control Module (ACM) attached cable.

We also do not have information on pins/components inside of our products.

Damage caused by normal wear and tear, or defects or damages resulting from opening and repairing the product are not covered by warranty.

https://support.creative.com/warranty

Damage caused by normal wear and tear, abnormal use or conditions, misuse, neglect, abuse, accident, improper handling or storage, defects or damages resulting from service, testing, adjustment, installation, maintenance, alteration, including without limitation, software changes, or modification in any way by someone other than Creative or its authorized service centers, improper use of any electrical source, undue physical or electrical stress, operator error, non-compliance with instructions or other acts which are not the fault of Creative, including damage or loss during shipment or transit.

If you require further assistance, please reply to this email and we will get back to you.

Regards,
Stefani
Creative Labs Pte Ltd
Worldwide Customer Response
Thank you.

Roma:

Dear Stefani,
''We also do not have information on pins/components inside of our products.''
You want to say that you do not know what you produce!?!?
I did not expect such an answer...
Best Regards,
Roma.

Question: Who is wrong in this situation? I'm a customer who wants an buy HDMI cable for $10 or if he doesn't have a standard pinout buy a "special" cable from the manufacturer or a manufacturer who tries to sell a whole electronics unit instead of a cable because of a broken cable?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Roma.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Sadly that's exactly the response I'd expect from them. Somebody probably has a cost/benefit analysis showing that in their market segment it's more profitable to lose a few customers by providing ****** customer service than it is to have customers who would be happy to buy from you again but don't because they keep fixing the old product thanks to your excellent spares service. Who's wrong depends on which side you're looking from, and how narrowly you're looking. Do you have a representative interested in right to repair legislation, or environmental impact? It's going to take legal or economic changes to change company behaviour on this.
Edit: I used a very mild expletive (by local standards anyway) to describe their customer service, but apparently it's not mild enough to show people.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
OP
R

Roma_V

Sadly that's exactly the response I'd expect from them. Somebody probably has a cost/benefit analysis showing that in their market segment it's more profitable to lose a few customers by providing ****** customer service than it is to have customers who would be happy to buy from you again but don't because they keep fixing the old product thanks to your excellent spares service. Who's wrong depends on which side you're looking from, and how narrowly you're looking. Do you have a representative interested in right to repair legislation, or environmental impact? It's going to take legal or economic changes to change company behaviour on this.
Edit: I used a very mild expletive (by local standards anyway) to describe their customer service, but apparently it's not mild enough to show people.
To be honest, I'm very surprised that my case is the norm for "Creative".
Many thanks ThatM1key, тow the problem is solved and I need technical support Сreative!

Best regards,
Roma.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To be honest, I'm very surprised that my case is the norm for "Creative".

Many thanks ThatM1key, тow the problem is solved and I need technical support Сreative!

Best regards,
Roma.

Let us know how it works when you've replaced the cable! I'd send it to Creative too. :p

OP
R

Roma_V

Good day,

Today I recive HDMI cable... and new mail from Creative.
Cables.jpg

First, I recommend not to disassemble the AE-9 ACM, I did not manage to do it neatly.
I do not believe that technical support writes such letters, maybe they have been hacked and hackers are laughing at me.

Mail from Creative Technical support:
MHFLifF3supBj7cNlcQml8GZbrnrigaw3iHPojBYksPCgU6_p2lqEsaOUXNkNP_8x0qPbbPq0ISqudM9WfaAyvTh9-5XwKjf52CQE7VFdynl25OEnDoXAUHgVIS5lhHImVSn9dbQ60U36SYKntONTyfMBjnjGSV2O4MlUR7KU1wECqB4lF7Q9hGVkDTqM2baRqn8mrRD5Y4deFi_FuXDzZI0r8pa3m6tftSdOu8h1yrU9e2N=s0-d-e1-ft
Sarah (Creative Labs Pte Ltd.)
Mar 9, 2022, 18:08 GMT+8
Dear Roma,

This is a follow-up email from Creative Labs.

We have further checked and verified that the ACM link cable has the same pins as the regular HDMI cable.

However, we would like to highlight again that Creative does not recommend replacing the ACM link cable.

In addition, replacing the ACM link cable may affect the performance of the ACM i.e. the headphone, mic, and Aux-in ports depending on the quality of the regular HDMI cable that will be used and we cannot guarantee if it will work fully with the ACM.

Regards,

I didn’t use headphones in my audio system before and I didn’t need AE-9 ACM module, now I decided to use headphones and it became necessary to change the HDMI cable that I broke. I bought a 2m HDMI cable for +/- $20.
What do we have in total:
1. AE-9 ACM is very hard to disassemble.
2. Standard HDMI 2 meter works, I checked all functions are functioning.
AE-9 Box.jpg

Connectors.jpg

3. The ''Creative'' company is trying to sell the whole unit instead of replacing the cable.

Best regards,
Roma.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I am glad that you managed to get this solved. My "real" Creative soundcard was a Creative Soundblaster Titanium HD, really good sounding good DAC and ADC. I remember getting the EVGA NU Audio over the Creative SB AE-5, because the AE-5 had a very terrible ADC.

Top Bottom